Oxidative stability of walnut oils extracted with supercritical carbon dioxide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Supercritical carbon dioxide (SC-CO2) was used to partially defat walnuts, and the oxidative stability of the extracted walnut oils was assessed. The SC-CO2-extracted oils were less stable during accelerated storage in the dark than was pressed walnut oil, as determined by PV, headspace analysis by solid-phase microextraction, and sensory methods. The SC-CO2-extracted oils, however, exhibited greater photo-oxidative stability than did pressed walnut oil by all of these methods, possibly because of the presence of chlorophyll in the pressed oil. Oxidative stability indices and tocopherol contents were significantly lower in the SC-CO2-extracted oils than in pressed oil.
- Crowe, T.D., and P.J. White, Oxidation, Flavor, and Texture of Walnuts Reduced in Fat Content by Supercritical Carbon Dioxide, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 80:569–574 (2003).
- Sabate, J., G.E. Fraser, K. Burke, S.F. Knutsen, H. Bennett, and K.D. Linstead, Effects of Walnuts on Serum Lipid Levels and Blood Pressure in Normal Men, New Engl. J. Med. 329:603–607 (1993). CrossRef
- Abbey, M., M. Noaks, G.B. Belling, and P.J. Nestel, Partial Replacement of Saturated Fatty Acids with Almonds or Walnuts Lowers Total Plasma Cholesterol and Low-Density-Lipoprotein Cholesterol, Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 59:995–999 (1994).
- List, G.R., and J.P. Friedrich, Processing Characteristics and Oxidative Stability of Soybean Oil Extracted with Supercritical Carbon Dioxide at 50°C and 8000 psi, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 62:82–84 (1985).
- List, G.R., and J.P. Friedrich, Oxidative Stability of Seed Oils Extracted with Supercritical Carbon Dioxide, 66:98–101 (1989).
- Calvo, L., M.J. Cocero, and J.M. Diez, Oxidative Stability of Sunflower Oil Extracted with Supercritical Carbon Dioxide, 71:1251–1254 (1994).
- Kim, I.H., M.H. Kim, Y.E. Kim, and Y.C. Lee, Oxidative Stability and Extraction of Perilla Seed Oil with Supercritical Carbon Dioxide, Food Sci. Biotechnol. 7:177–180 (1998).
- Savage, G.P., P.C. Dutta, and D.L. McNeil, Fatty Acid and Tocopherol Contents and Oxidative Stability of Walnut Oils, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 76:1059–1063 (1999).
- King, J.W., G.R. List, and J.H. Johnson, Supercritical Carbon Dioxide Extraction of Spent Bleaching Clays, J. Supercrit. Fluids 5:38–41 (1992). CrossRef
- Official Methods and Recommended Practices of the American Oil Chemists’ Society, edited by D. Firestone, 4th edn., American Oil Chemists’ Society, Champaign, 1989.
- Crowe, T.D., and P.J. White, Adaptation of the AOCS Official Method for Measuring Hydroperoxides from Small-Scale Oil Samples, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 78:1267–1269 (2001).
- Hammond, E.G., Organization of Rapid Analysis of Lipids in Many Individual Plants, in Modern Methods of Plant Analysis, New Series, Vol. 12, Essential Oils and Waxes, edited by H.F. Linskens and J.F. Jackson, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1991, pp. 321–330.
- Crowe, T.D., and P.J. White, Impact of Extraction Method on Lipid Oxidation Products from Oxidized and Unoxidized Walnuts, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 79:453–456 (2002).
- Liu, H.R., and P.J. White, Oxidative Stabilities of Soybean Oils with Altered Fatty Acid Compositions, 69:528–532 (1992).
- Hall, C., and S. Cuppett, The Effects of Bleached and Unbleached Rosemary Oleoresins on Light-Sensitized Oxidation of Soybean Oil, 70:477–482 (1993).
- Frankel, E.N., Lipid Oxidation, Oily Press, Dundee, Scotland, 1998, pp. 44–133.
- Fatemi, S.H., and E.G. Hammond, Analysis of Oleate, Linoleate, and Linolenate Hydroperoxides in Oxidized Ester Mixtures, Lipids 15:379–385 (1980). CrossRef
- Warner, K., E.N. Frankel, and T.L. Mounts, Flavor and Oxidative Stability of Soybean, Sunflower, and Low Erucic Acid Rapeseed Oils, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 66:558–564 (1989).
- Jelen, H.H., M. Obushowska, R. Zawirska-Wojtasiak, and E. Wasowicz, Headspace Solid-Phase Microextraction Use for the Characterization of Volatile Compounds in Vegetable Oils of Different Sensory Quality, J. Agric. Food Chem. 48:2360–2367 (2000). CrossRef
- Oxidative stability of walnut oils extracted with supercritical carbon dioxide
Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society
Volume 80, Issue 6 , pp 575-578
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Oil oxidation
- oxidative stability
- supercritical carbon dioxide extraction
- walnut oil
- Industry Sectors