Antioxidant activity of phytosterols, oryzanol, and other phytosterol conjugates
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Antioxidant activity of phytosterols, oryzanol, ferulic acid ester of sterols, corn fiber oil, and rice bran oil was investigated. Commercial soybean oil and distilled soybean oil FAME were used as substrates for both oxidative stability determination and viscosity analysis after the oil was oxidized. At low concentration, these materials did not improve the oxidative stability of the oil substrates, although the viscosity tended to be reduced slightly. The antipolymerization activity of steryl ferulate was higher at higher concentration than at lower concentration, and steryl ferulate was more effective than oryzanol. Rice bran oil showed very good antioxidant and antipolymerization activities.
- Ling, W.H., and P.J.H. Jones, Dietary Phytosterols: A Review of Metabolism, Benefits, and Side Effects, Life Sci. 57:195–206 (1995). CrossRef
- Moreau, R.A., R.A. Norton, and K.B. Hicks, Phytosterols and Phytostanols Lower Cholesterol, inform 10:572–577 (1999).
- Law, M.R., Plant Sterol and Stanol Margarines and Health, West. J. Med. 173:43–47 (2000). CrossRef
- White, P.J., and L.S. Armstrong, Effect of Selected Oat Sterols on the Deterioration of Heated Soybean Oil, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 63:525–529 (1986).
- Tian, L.L., and P.J. White, Antipolymerization Activity of Oat Extract in Soybean and Cottonseed Oils Under Frying Conditions, 71:1087–1094 (1994).
- Kochhar, S.P., Stable and Healthful Frying Oil for the 21th Century, inform 11:642–647 (2000).
- Gordon, M.H., and P. Magos, The Effect of Sterols on the Oxidation of Edible Oils, Food Chem. 10:141–147 (1983). CrossRef
- Moreau, R.A., V. Singh, S.R. Eckhoff, M.J. Powell, K.B. Hicks, and R.A. Norton, Comparison of Yield and Composition of Oil Extracted from Corn Fiber and Corn Bran, Cereal Chem. 76:449–451 (1999).
- Moreau, R.A., M.J. Powell, and K.B. Hicks, Extraction and Quantitative Analysis of Oil from Commercial Corn Fiber, J. Agric. Food Chem. 44:2149–2154 (1996). CrossRef
- Norton, R.A., R.A. Moreau, and K.B. Hicks, Corn Fiber Oil: Analysis, Composition, and Potential as a Cholesterol-Lowering Food Ingredient, Abstracts, 90th AOCS Annual Meeting & Expo, Orlando, 1999.
- Wilson, T., A. DeSimone, C. Romano, and R. Nicolosi, Corn Fiber Oil Lowers Plasma Cholesterol Levels and Increases Cholesterol Excretion Greater Than Corn Oil and Similar to Diets Containing Soy Sterols and Soy Stanols in Hamsters, J. Nutr. Biochem. 11:443–449 (2000). CrossRef
- Ramjiganesh, T., S. Roy, R. Nicolosi, T. Young, J. McIntyre, and M. Fernandez, Corn Husk Oil Lowers Plasma LDL Cholesterol Concentrations by Decreasing Cholesterol Adsorption and Altering Hepatic Cholesterol Metabolism in Guinea Pigs, 11:358–366 (2000). CrossRef
- Nicolosi, R., T. Wilson, and C. Lawton, Corn Fiber Oil: Cholesterol-Lowering Properties and Mechanisms of Action in Animal Models, Abstracts, 92nd AOCS Annual Meeting & Expo, Minneapolis, 2001, p. S115.
- Condo, A.M., Jr., D.C. Baker, R.A. Moreau, and K.B. Hicks, Improved Method for the Synthesis of trans-Feruloyl-β-sitostanol, J. Agric. Food Chem. 49:4961–4964 (2001). CrossRef
- Moreau, R.A., K.B. Hicks, and M.J. Powell, Effect of Heat Pretreatment on the Yield and Composition of Oil Extracted from Corn Fiber, 47:2869–2871 (1999). CrossRef
- Official Methods and Recommended Practices of the American Oil Chemists’ Society, 4th edn., AOCS Press, Champaign, 1994.
- SAS Software, Release 8.1 (1999–2000), SAS Institute, Cary, NC.
- Xu, Z., and J.S. Godber, Antioxidant Activities of Major Components of γ-Oxyzanol from Rice Bran Using a Linoleic Acid Model, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 78:645–649 (2001).
- Fukushi, J., Edible Rice Bran Oil-Part III: Antioxidant Effects of Oryzanol, Hokkaido-Ritsu Eisei Kenkyushoho 16:111–114 (1966).
- Frankel, E.N., In Search of Better Methods to Evaluate Natural Antioxidants and Oxidative Stability in Food Lipids, Trends Food Sci. Technol. 4:220–225 (1993). CrossRef
- Nakatani, N., Y. Tachibana, and H. Kikuzaki, Establishment of a Model Substrate Oil for Antioxidant Activity Assessment by Oil Stability Index Method, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 78:19–23 (2001).
- Antioxidant activity of phytosterols, oryzanol, and other phytosterol conjugates
Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society
Volume 79, Issue 12 , pp 1201-1206
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- corn fiber oil
- ferulic acid ester of phytosterol
- rice bran oil
- Industry Sectors