Cocoa-butter long spacings and the memory effect
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Depending on the maximum temperature before cooling, cocoa butter recrystallizes in the β(V) and/or β(VI) phase. In order to obtain structural information on the seed material initiating this recrystallization process, experiments with cocoa butter were performed at a small-angle X-ray scattering station. Crystallization of cocoa butter at various crystallization temperatures provided long d-spacing values (d>45 Å) that can be attributed to the polymorphic phases. From the recrystallization experiments it is concluded that the seeds initiating rapidstarting recrystallization have an 1,3-distearoyl-2-oleoylglycerol-dominated triple chain-length packing. Furthermore, the β(VI) phase of cocoa butter seems to adopt a similar packing. The seed crystals that initiate the slow-starting recrystallization and result in the β(V) phase are likely to be different from those giving the β(VI) phase.
- Vaeck, S.V., Cocoa Butter and Fat Bloom, Manuf. Confect. 40:35–46, 71–74 (1960).
- Wille, R.L., and E.S. Lutton, Polymorphism of Cocoa Butter, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 43:491–496 (1966).
- Van Malssen, K., R. Peschar, and H. Schenk, Real-Time X-Ray Powder Diffraction Investigations on Cocoa Butter. I. Temperature-Dependent Crystallization Behavior and Composition of β-Cocoa Butter, —Ibid. 73:1209–1215 (1996). CrossRef
- Loisel, C., G. Keller, G. Lecq, C. Bourgaux, and M. Ollivon, Phase Transitions and Polymorphism of Cocoa Butter, —Ibid. 75:425–439 (1998).
- Van Gelder, R.N.M.R., N. Hogdson, K.J. Roberts, A. Rossi, M. Wells, M. Polgreen, and I. Smith, Crystallization and Polymorphism in Cocoa Butter Fat: In-situ Studies Using Synchrotron Radiation X-ray Diffraction, in Crystal Growth of Organic Materials, ACS Conference Proceedings Series, edited by A.S. Myerson, American Chemical Society, Washington, DC, 1996, pp. 209–215.
- Van Malssen, K., A. van Langevelde, R. Peschar, and H. Schenk, Phase Behavior and Extended Phase Scheme of Static Cocoa Butter Investigated with Real-Time X-Ray Powder Diffraction, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 76:669–676 (1999).
- Van Malssen, K., C. Brito, R. Peschar, and H. Schenk, Real-Time X-Ray Powder Diffraction Investigations on Cocoa Butter. III. Direct β-Crystallization of Cocoa Butter: Occurrence of a Memory Effect, —Ibid. 73:1225–1230 (1996). CrossRef
- Van Langevelde, A., K. van Malssen, R. Peschar, and H. Schenk, Effect of Temperature on Recrystallization Behavior of Cocoa Butter, —Ibid. 78:919–925.
- Bras, W., An SAXS/WAXS Beamline at the ESRF and Future Experiments, J. Macromol. Sci.-Phys. B37:557–565 (1998).
- Paquot, C., and A. Hautfenne, in Standard Methods for the Analysis of Oils, Fats and Derivatives, Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford, United Kingdom, 1987.
- Ryan, A.J., Simultaneous Small-Angle X-Ray Scattering and Wide-Angle X-Ray Diffraction. A Powerful New Technique for Thermal Analysis, J. Therm. Anal. 40:887–899 (1993).
- Bras, W., G.E. Derbyshire, A. Devine, S.M. Clark, J. Cooke, B.E. Komanschek, and A.J. Ryan, The Combination of Thermal Analysis and Time-Resolved X-Ray Techniques: A Powerful Method for Materials Characterization, J. Appl. Cryst. 28:26–32 (1995). CrossRef
- Driessen, R.A.J., READSAXS; Local program, 2000.
- Hammersly, A.P., ESRF Internal Report ESRF97HA02T (1997).
- Bordas, J., and G. Mant, BSL. http://www.srs.dl.ac.uk/ncd/computing/index.html (1999).
- Bordas, J., and G. Mant, XOTOKO. http://www.srs.dl.ac.uk/ncd/computing/index.html (1999).
- Russell, T.P., Small-Angle Scattering, in Handbook on Synchrotron Radiation, edited by G.S. Brown and D.E. Moncton, Elsevier Science Publishing, Amsterdam, 1991, pp. 379–470.
- Williams, T., and C. Kelley, GNUPLOT v3.7 1986–1993, 1998 (1998).
- Chapman, G.M., E.E. Akehurst, and W.B. Wright, Cocoa Butter and Confectionary Fats, Studies Using Programmed Temperature X-ray Diffraction and Differential Scanning Calorimetry, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 48:824–830 (1971).
- Chaiseri, S., and P.S. Dimick, Dynamic Crystallization of Cocoa Butter. I. Characterization of Simple Lipids in Rapid- and Slow-Nucleating Cocoa Butters and Their Seed Crystals, —Ibid. 72:1491–1496 (1995).
- Dimick, P.S., and D.M. Manning, Thermal and Compositional Properties of Cocoa Butter During Static Crystallization, —Ibid. 64:1663–1669 (1987).
- Sato, K., T. Arishima, Z.H. Wang, K. Ojima, N. Sagi, and H. Mori, Polymorphism of POP and SOS. 1. Occurrence and Polymorphic Transformation, —Ibid. 66:664–674 (1989).
- Ueno, S., A. Minato, H. Seto, Y. Amemiya, and K. Sato, Synchrotron Radiation X-ray Diffraction Study of Liquid Crystal Formation and Polymorphic Crystallization of SOS (sn-1,3-distearoyl-2-oleoyl glycerol), J. Phys. Chem. B 101:6847–6854 (1997). CrossRef
- Cocoa-butter long spacings and the memory effect
Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society
Volume 78, Issue 9 , pp 911-918
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Cocoa butter
- long spacing
- memory effect
- Industry Sectors