Characterization of the ybdT gene product of Bacillus subtilis: Novel fatty acid β-hydroxylating cytochrome P450
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We have characterized the gene encoding fatty acid α-hydroxylase, a cytochrome P450 (P450) enzyme, from Sphingomonas paucimobilis. A database homology search indicated that the deduced amino acid sequence of this gene product was 44% identical to that of the ybdT gene product that is a 48 kDa protein of unknown function from Bacillus subtilis. In this study, we cloned the ybdT gene and characterized this gene product using a recombinant enzyme to clarify function of the ybdT gene product. The carbon monoxide difference spectrum of the recombinant enzyme showed the characteristic one of P450. In the presence of H2O2, the recombinant ybdT gene product hydroxylated myristic acid to produce β-hydroxyristic acid and α-hydroxymyristic acid which were determined by high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) and gas chromatography-mass spectrometry. The amount of these products increased with increasing reaction period and amount of H2O2 in the reaction mixture. The amount of β-hydroxyl product was slightly higher than that of α-hydroxyl product at all times during the reaction. However, no reaction products were detected at any time or at any concentration of H2O2 when heat-inactivated enzyme was used. HPLC analysis with a chiral column showed that the β-hydroxyl product was nearly enantiomerically pure R-form. These results suggest that this P450 enzyme is involved in a novel biosynthesis of β-hydroxy fatty acid.
- Nakagawa, Y., Kishida, K., Kodani, Y., and Matsuyama, T. (1997) Optical Configuration Analysis of Hydroxy Fatty Acids in Bacterial Lipids by Chiral Column High-Performance Liquid Chromatography, Microbiol. Immunol. 41, 27–32.
- Hosono, K., and Suzuki, H. (1983) Acylpeptides, the Inhibitors of Cyclic Adenosine 3′,5′-Monophosphate Phosphodiesterase, J. Antibiot. 36, 667–673.
- Matsunaga, I., Yamada, M., Kusunose, E., Nishiuchi, Y., Yano, I., and Ichihara, K. (1996) Direct Involvement of Hydrogen Peroxide in Bacterial α-Hydroxylation of Fatty Acid, FEBS Lett. 386, 252–254. CrossRef
- Matsunaga, I., Yokotani, N., Gotoh, O., Kusunose, E., Yamada, M., and Ichihara, K. (1997) Molecular Cloning and Expression of Fatty Acid α-Hydroxylase from Sphingomonas paucimobilis, J. Biol. Chem. 272, 23592–23596. CrossRef
- Gotoh, O. (1993) Evolution and Differentiation of P-450 Genes, in Cytochrome P450, 2nd edn., (Omura, T., Ishimura, Y., and Fujii-Kuriyama, Y., eds.) Kodansha, Tokyo, pp. 255–272.
- Poulos, T.L., and Raag, R. (1992) Cytochrome P450cam: Crystallography, Oxygen Activation, and Electron Transfer, FASEB J. 6, 674–679.
- Gotoh, O., and Fujii-Kuriyama, Y. (1989) Evolution, Structure, and Gene Regulation of Cytochrome P-450, in Frontiers in Biotransformation, Vol. 1 (Ruckpaul, K., and Rein, H., eds.) Akademie, Berlin, pp. 195–243.
- Kunst, F., Ogasawara, N., Moszer, I., and 152 others (1997) The Complete Genome Sequence of the Gram-Positive Bacterium Bacillus subtilis, Nature 390, 249–256. CrossRef
- Wilson, K. (1995) Preparation of Genomic DNA from Bacteria, in Short Protocols in Molecular Biology, 3rd edn. (Ausubel F., Brent, R., Kingston, R.E., Moore, D.D., Seidman, J.G., Smith, J.A., and Struhl, K., eds.), Wiley, New York, pp. 2-11–2-13.
- Sawamura, A., Kusunose, E., Satouchi, K., and Jusunose, M. (1993) Catalytic Properties of Rabbit Kidney Fatty Acid ω-Hydroxylase Cytochrome P-450ka2 (CYP4A7), Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1168, 30–36.
- Matsunaga, I., Yamada, M., Kusunose, E., Miki, T., and Ichihara, K. (1998) Further Characterization of Hydrogen Peroxide-Dependent Fatty Acid α-Hydroxylase from Sphingomonas paucimobilis, J. Biochem. 124, 105–110.
- Ishimaru, A., and Yamazaki, I. (1977) Hydroperoxide-Dependent Hydroxylation Involving “H2O2-Reducible Hemoprotein” in Microsome of Pea Seeds, J. Biol. Chem. 252, 6118–6124.
- Nishikiori, T., Naganawa, H., Muraoka, Y., Aoyagi, T., and Umezawa, H. (1986) Plipastatins: New Inhibitors of Phospholipase A2, Produced by Bacillus cereus BMG302-fF67. II. Structure of Fatty Acid Residue and Amino Acid Sequence, J. Antibiot. 39, 745–754.
- Ullrich, C., Kluge, B., Palacz, Z., and Vater, J. (1991) Cell-Free Biosynthesis of Surfactin, a Cyclic Lipopeptide Produced by Bacillus subtilis, Biochemistry 30, 6503–6508. CrossRef
- Menkhaus, M., Ullrich, C., Kluge, B., Vater, J., Vollenbroich, D., and Kamp, R.M. (1993) Structural and Functional Organization of the Surfactin Synthetase Multienzyme System, J. Biol. Chem. 268, 7678–7684.
- Venter, P., Kock, J.L.F., Sravan Kumar, G., Botha, A., Coetzee, D.J., Botes, P.J., Bhatt, R.K., Falck, J.R., Schewe, T., and Nigam, S. (1997) Production of 3R-Hydroxy-polyenoic Fatty Acids by the Yeast Dipodascopsis uninucleata, Lipids 32, 1277–1283. CrossRef
- Characterization of the ybdT gene product of Bacillus subtilis: Novel fatty acid β-hydroxylating cytochrome P450
Volume 34, Issue 8 , pp 841-846
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Molecular Regulation, Osaka City University Medical School, 1-4-3 Asahi-machi, Abeno-ku, 5458585, Osaka, Japan
- 2. Department of Bacteriology, Osaka City University Medical School, 5458585, Osaka, Japan
- 3. Osaka Prefectural Institute of Public Health, 5370025, Osaka, Japan