Oral acetylsalicylic acid induces biliary cholesterol secretion in the rat
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Several agents can alter biliary cholesterol secretion, critical for cholesterol excretion and gallstone formation. Although salicylate effects on bile formation and gallstones have been studied, biliary lipid secretion has not been measured during oral aspirin treatment. We examined whether oral acetylsalicylic acid affects bile lipid secretion. Three groups of young rats were fed chow for 3 wk. Two of the groups then received aspirin at either 1.67 or 3.33 g/kg diet for 4 d. Serum, hepatic, and bile lipids were measured, as were enzymes of cholesterol synthesis and esterification. With oral aspirin, bile cholesterol secretion increased by 42% and hepatic cholesteryl ester content decreased by 40%. Serum cholesterol and hepatic free cholesterol did not change. To evaluate mechanisms of the cholesterol hypersecretion, hypothyroid animals fed low-fat or fish oil diets and repleted with triiodothyronine were also studied. Aspirin stimulated cholesterol secretion to a degree similar to triiodothyronine. An additive response was seen in fish oilfed rats. Aspirin did not appear to have a primary action on 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-CoA reductase or acyl CoA:cholesterol acyltransferase activities, and had no direct effect on esterification of cholesterol by isolated hepatocytes. Aspirin may directly increase cholesterol transport into bile or have cell membrane effects which alter cholesterol transport. It remains to be determined whether the observed alterations in bile cholesterol secretion are specific to the rat or also apply to humans.
- Bilhartz, L.E., Spady, D.K., and Dietschy, J.M. (1989) Inappropriate Hepatic Cholesterol Synthesis Expands the Cellular Pool of Sterol Available for Recruitment by Bile Acids in the Rat, J. Clin. Invest. 84 1181–1187.
- Duane, W.C. (1993) Effects of Lovastatin and Dietary Cholesterol on Sterol Homeostasis in Healthy Human Subjects, J. Clin. Invest. 92, 911–918.
- Duane, W.C. (1994) Effects of Lovastatin in Humans on Biliary Lipids Composition and Secretion as a Function of Dosage and Treatment Interval, JPET 270, 841–845.
- Stone, B.G., Erickson, S.K., Craig, W.Y., and Cooper, A.D., (1985) Regulation of Rat Biliary Cholesterol Secretion by Agents That Alter Intrahepatic Cholesterol Metabolism, J. Clin. Invest. 76, 1773–1781.
- Nervi, F., Bronfman, M., Allalon, W., Depiereux, E., and Del Pozo, R. (1984) Regulation of Biliary Cholesterol Secretion in the Rat: Role of Cholesterol, Esterification, J. Clin. Invest. 74, 2226–2237.
- Dory, L., and Roheim, P.S. (1981) Rat Plasma Lipoproteins and Apolipoproteins in Experimental Hypothyroidism, J. Lipid Res. 22, 287–296.
- Day, R., Gebhard, R.L., Schwartz, H.L., Strait, K.A., Duane, W.C., Stone, B.G., and Oppenheimer, J.H. (1989) Time Course of Hepatic 3-Hydroxy-3-Methylglutaryl Coenzyme A Reductase Activity and Messenger Ribonucleic Acid, Biliary Lipid Secretion, and Hepatic Cholesterol Content in Methimazole-Treated Hypothyroid and Hypophysectomized Rats, Endocrinology 125, 459–468. CrossRef
- Gebhard, R.L., and Prigge, W.F. (1992) Thyroid Hormone Differentially Augments Biliary Sterol Secretion in the Rat. II. The Chronic Bile Fistula Model, J. Lipid Res. 33, 1467–1473.
- Balasubramaniam, S., Simons, S.A., Chang, S., and Hickie, J.B. (1985) Reductions in Plasma Cholesterol and Increase in Biliary Cholesterol by a Diet Rich in n-3 Fatty Acids in the Rat. J. Lipid Res. 26, 684–689.
- Chautan, M., Chanussot, F., Portugal, H., Pauli, A.-M., and Lafont, H. (1990) Effects of Salmon Oil and Corn Oil on Plasma Lipid Level and Hepatobiliary Cholesterol metabolism in Rats, Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1046, 40–45.
- Smit, M.J., Verkade, H.J., Havinga, R., Vonk, R.J., Scherphof G.L., Veld, G.I., and Kuipers, F. (1994) Dietary Fish Oil Potentiates Bile Acid-Induced Cholesterol Secretion into Bile in Rats, J. Lipid Res. 35, 301–310.
- Lang, C.A., and Davis, R.A. (1990) Fish Oil Fatty Acids Impair VLDL Assembly and/or Secretion by Cultured Rat Hepatocytes, J. Lipid Res. 31, 2079–2086.
- Ventura, M.A., Woollett, L.A., and Spady, D.K. (1989) Dietary Fish Oil Stimulates Hepatic Low Density Lipoprotein Transport in the Rat, J. Clin. Invest. 84, 528–537.
- Apstein, M.D., and Robins, S.J. (1982) Effect of Organic Anions on Biliary Lipids in the Rat, Gastroenterology 83, 1120–1126.
- Apstein, M.D., and Russo, A.R. (1985) Ampicillin Inhibits Biliary Cholesterol Secretion, Dig. Dis. Sci. 30, 253–256. CrossRef
- Apstein, M.D. (1984) Inhibition of Biliary Phospholipid and Cholesterol Secretion by Bilirubin in the Sprague-Dawley and Gunn Rat, Gastroenterology 87, 634–638.
- Rutishauser, S.C.B., and Stone, S.L. (1975) The Effect of Sodium Salicylate on Bile Secretion in the Dog. J. Physiol. 245, 549–565.
- Cooper, M.J., Baker, A.L., and Moossa, A.R. (1980) Sodium Salicylate. Effect on Determinants of Bile Flow and Cholesterol Solubility in Rhesus Monkeys, Dig. Dis. Sci. 25, 427–432. CrossRef
- Erlinger, S., Bienfait, D., Poupon, R., Dumont, D., and Duval, M. (1975) Effect of Lysine Acetylsalicylate on Biliary Lipid Secretion in Dogs, Clin. Sci. Mol. Med. 49, 253–256.
- Kupfer, R.M., and Northfield T.C. (1983) Effect of Sodium Acetylsalicylate on Cholesterol Saturation of Fasting Gallbladder Bile, with and without Chenic Acid, Br. J. Clin. Pharmacol. 15, 114–116.
- Prigge, W.F., Ketover, S.R., and Gebhard, R.L. (1995) Thyroid Hormone Is Required for Dietary Fish Oil to Induce Hypersecretion of Biliary Cholesterol in the Rat, Lipids 30, 833–838.
- Gebhard, R.L., Clayman, R.V., Prigge, W.F., Figenshau, R., Staley, N.A. Reesey, C., and Bear, A. (1987) Abnormal Cholesterol Metabolism in Renal Clear Cell Carcinoma, J. Lipid Res. 23, 1177–1184.
- Talalay, P. (1960) Enzymatic Analysis of Steroid Hormones, Methods Biochem. Anal. 8, 119–143.
- Gurantz, D., Laker, M.F., and Hofmann, A.F. (1981) Enzymatic Measurement of Choline-Containing Phospholipids in Bile, J. Lipid Res. 22, 373–376.
- Lowry, O.H., Rosebrough, N.J., Farr, A.L., and Randall, R.J. (1951) Protein Measurement with the Folin Phenol Reagent, J. Biol. Chem. 193, 265–275.
- Edwards, P.A. (1975) The Influence of Catecholamines and Cyclic AMP on 3-Hydroxy-3-Methylglutaryl Coenzyme A Reductase Activity and Lipid Biosynthesis in Isolated Rat Hepatocytes. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 170, 188–203. CrossRef
- Seglen, P.O. (1972) Preparation of Rat Liver Cells, Exp. Cell Res. 74, 450–454. CrossRef
- Turley, S.D., and Dietschy, J.M. (1979) Regulation of Biliary Cholesterol Output in the Rat: Dissociation from the Rate of Hepatic Cholesterol Synthesis, the Size of the Hepatic Cholesteryl Ester Pool, and the Hepatic Uptake of Chylomicron Cholesterol, J. Lipid Res. 20, 923–934.
- Wheeler, H.O., and King, K.K. (1972) Biliary Excretion of Lecithin and Cholesterol in the Dog, J. Clin. Invest. 51, 1337–1350. CrossRef
- Wagner, C.I., Trotman, B.W., and Soloway, R.D. (1976) Kinetic Analysis of Biliary Lipid Secretion in Man and Dog, J. Clin. Invest. 57, 473–477.
- Stone, B.G., and Evans, C.D. (1992) Evidence for a Common Biliary Cholesterol and VLDL Cholesterol Precursor Pool in Rat Liver, J. Lipid Res. 33, 1665–1675.
- Lee, S.P., Carey, M.C., and LaMont, J.T. (1981) Aspirin Prevention of Cholesterol Gallstone Formation in Prairie Dogs, Science 211, 1429–1431. CrossRef
- Broomfield, P.H., Chopra, R., Sheinbaum, R.C., Bonorris, G.G., Silver, A., Schoenfield, L.J., and Marks, J.W. (1988) Effects of Ursodeoxycholic Acid and Aspirin on the Formation of Lithogenic Bile and Gallstones During Loss of Weight, N. Engl. J. Med. 319, 1567–1572. CrossRef
- Levitan, H., and Barker, J.L. (1972) Membrane Permeability: Cation Selectivity Reversibly Altered by Salicylate, Science 178, 63–64. CrossRef
- Andreini, J.P., Prigge, W.F., Ma, C., and Gebhard, R.L. (1994) Vesicles and Mixed Micelles in Hypothyroid Rat Bile Before and After Thyroid Hormone Treatment: Evidence for a Vesicle Transport System for Biliary Cholesterol Secretion, J. Lipid Res. 35, 1405–1412.
- Oral acetylsalicylic acid induces biliary cholesterol secretion in the rat
Volume 32, Issue 7 , pp 753-758
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors