Saturated Fat and Health: Recent Advances in Research
- Richard D. Feinman
- … show all 1 hide
Saturated fat of plant or animal origin has been an important ingredient in Western and non-Western diets for centuries. For the past 30 or 40 years, dietary saturated fats have attained a poor reputation especially in relation to cardiovascular health; recommendations to reduce consumption persist even in the face of equivocal or contradictory evidence. This special theme issue of Lipids on saturated fat and health presents contributions from a “hot topic” session at the 100th AOCS annual meeting in Orlando Florida, in May 2009.
Two recent publications highlight the importance of this issue. A meta-analysis by Siri-Tarino et al.  showed that there was no significant evidence for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD). In addition, whereas some dairy products contribute to the intake of dietary saturated fat, a meta-analysis in this theme issue of the available prospective studies showed that dairy consumption is ass ...
- Siri-Tarino PW, Sun Q, Hu FB, Kraus RM (2010) Meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies evaluating the association of saturated fat with cardiovascular disease. Am J Clin Nutr 91:535–546 CrossRef
- Bonthuis M, Hughes MCB, Ibiebele TI, Green AC, van der Pols JC (2010) Dairy consumption and patterns of mortality of Australian adults. Eur J Clin Nutr (Advance online publication)
- Saturated Fat and Health: Recent Advances in Research
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Volume 45, Issue 10 , pp 891-892
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Cell Biology, SUNY Downstate Medical Center, 450 Clarkson Ave, Box 8, Brooklyn, NY, 11203, USA