HPLC method for quantification and characterization of cholesterol and its oxidation products in eggs
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A new method was developed for the simultaneous determination of cholesterol and its oxidation products in eggs, using HPLC with UV and refractive index (RI) detectors, and HPLC interfaced with atmospheric pressure chemical ionization coupled to MS (HPLC-APCI-MS). The best conditions for direct saponification of the sample and extraction of the nonsaponifiable material were defined using complete factorial designs with central points. The method showed accuracy and precision with a detection limit between 0.002 and 0.079 μg/g. The oxides cholest-5-ene-3β, 20α-diol identified by HPLC-UV-RI were not confirmed by HPLC-APCI-MS.
- Guardiola, F., Codony, R., Addis, P.B., Rafecas, M., and Boatella, J. (1996) Biological Effects of Oxysterols: Current Status, Food Chem. Toxic, 34, 193–211. CrossRef
- Imao, K., Wang, H., Komatsu, M., and Hiramatsu, M. (1998) Free Radical Scavenging Activity of Fermented Papaya Preparation and Its Effect on Lipid Peroxide Level and Superoxide Dismutase Activity in Iron-Induced Epileptic Foci of Rats, Biochem. Mol. Biol. Int., 45, 11–23.
- Hino, T., Kawanish, S., Yasui, H., Oka, S., and Sakurai, H. (1998) HTHQ (1-0-hexyl-2,3,5-trimethylhydroquinone) an Anti-Lipid-Peroxidative Compound: Its Chemical and Biochemical Characterizations. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1425, 47–60.
- Smith, L.L. (1987) Cholesterol Autoxidation, Chem. Phys. Lipids 44, 87–125. CrossRef
- Yan,P.S., and White, P.J. (1990) Cholesterol Oxidation in Heated Lard Enriched with Two Levels of Cholesterol, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc., 67, 927–931. CrossRef
- Razzazi-Fazeli, E., Kleineisen, S., and Luf, W. (2000) Determination of Cholesterol Oxides in Processed Food Using High-Performance Liquid Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry with Atmospheric Pressure Chemical Ionization. J. Chromatogr. A 896, 321–334. CrossRef
- Creri, M., Ferretti, D., Manini, P., and Musci, M. (1998) Evaluation of Particle Beam High-Performance Liquid Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry for Analysis of Cholesterol Oxides. J. Chromatogr. A 794, 253–262 CrossRef
- Raith, K., Brenner, C., Farwanah, H., Muller, G., Eder, K., and Neubert, R.H.H. (2005) A New LC/APCI-MS Method for the Determination of Cholesterol Oxidation Products in Food, J. Chromatogr. A 1067, 207–211. CrossRef
- Careri, M., Ferretti, D., Manini, P., and Musci, M. (1998) Evaluation of Particle Beam High-Performance Liquid Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry for Analysis of Cholesterol Oxides, J. Chromatogr. A 794, 253–262. CrossRef
- Smith, L.L. (1993) Analysis of Oxysteorls by Liquid Chromatography, J. Liq. Chromatogr. 16, 1731–1747.
- Csallany, A.S., Kindom, S.E., Addis, P.B., and Lee, J.H. (1989) HPLC Method for Quantitation of Cholesterol and Four of Its Major Oxidation Products in Muscle and Liver Tissues, Lipids 24, 645–651 CrossRef
- Rose-Salin, C., Huggett, A.C., Bosset, J.O., Tabacchi, R., and Fay, L.B. (1995) Quantification of Cholesterol Oxidation Products in Milk Powders Using (2H7) Cholesterol to Monitor Cholesterol Autoxidation Artifacts. J. Agric. Food Chem. 43, 935–941. CrossRef
- Sander, B.D., Addis, P.B., Park, S.W., and Smith, D.E. (1989) Quantification of Cholesterol Oxidation Products in a Variety of Foods, J. Food Prot., 52, 109–114.
- Guardiola, F., Codony, R., Manich, A., Rafecas, M., and Boatella, J. (1995) Stability of Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids in Eggs Powder Processed and Stored Under Various Conditions, J. Agric. Food Chem. 43, 2254–2259. CrossRef
- Dionisi, F., Golay, P.A., Aeschlimann, J.M., and Fay, L.B. (1998) Determination of Cholesterol Oxidation Products in Milk Powdes: Methods Comparison and Validation. J. Agric. Food Chem. 46, 2227–2233. CrossRef
- AOAC (1997) Official Methods of Analysis of AOAC Interional. 16th edn. (Arlington, ed.) Association of Official Agricultural Chemists, Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA, Official Method 963.33.
- Long, G.L., and Winefordner, J.D. (1983) Limit of Detection: A Closer Look at the IUPAC Definition. Anal. Chem. 55, 712–724.
- Park, P.W., Guardiola, F., Park, S.H., and Addis, P.B. (1996) Kinetic Evaluation of 3b-Hydroxycholest-5-en-7-one (7-Ketocholesterol) Stability During Saponification. J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 73, 623–629. CrossRef
- Ulberth, F., and Buchgraber, M. (2000) Extraction and Purification of Cholesterol Oxidation Products, in Cholesterol and Phytosterol Oxidation Products: Analysis Occurrence, and Biological Effects (Guardiola, F., Dutta, P.C., Codony, R., and Savage, G.P., eds.), pp. 27–49, AOCS Press, Champaign, IL.
- Van de Bovenkamp, P., Kosmeijer-Schuil, T.G., and Katan, M.B. (1988) Quantification of Oxysterols in Dutch Foods: Egg Products and Mixed Diets, Lipids, 23, 1079–1085. CrossRef
- Baggio, S. R., Miguel, A.M.R., and Bragagnolo, N. (2005) Simultaneous Determination of Cholesterol Oxides, Cholesterol and Fatty Acids in Processed, Turkey Meat Products, Food Chem. 89, 475–484. CrossRef
- Fontana A., Antoniazzi, F., Ciaviatta M.L., Trivillone, E., and Cimino, G. (1993) H-NMR Study of Cholesterol Autoxidation in Egg Powder and Cookies Exposed to Adverse Stograge. J. Food. Sci. 58, 1286–1290. CrossRef
- Fontana, A., Antoniazzi, F., Cimino, G., Mazza, G., Trivillone, E., and Zanone, B. (1992) High-Resolution NMR Detection of Cholesterol Oxides in Spray-Dried Egg Yolk, J. Food. Sci. 57, 869–872. CrossRef
- Shu-Mei, L., Gray, J.I., Buckley, D.J., and Kelly, P.M. (1995) Influence of Free Radicals and Other Factors on Formation of Cholesterol Oxidation Products in Spray-Dried Whole Egg. J. Agric. Food Chem. 43, 1127–1131. CrossRef
- Morgan, J.N., and Armstrong, D.J. (1989) Wide-Bore Capillary Gas Chromatographic Method for Quantification of Cholesterol Oxidation-Products in Egg Yolk Powder. J. Food Sci. 54, 427–429. CrossRef
- Morgan, J.N., and Armstrong D.J. (1992) Quantification of Cholesterol Oxidation-Products in Egg Yolk Powder Spray-Dried with Direct Heating. J. Food Sci., 57, 43–45. CrossRef
- Al-Hasani, S.M., Shabany, H., and Hlavac, J. (1990) Rapid Determination of Cholesterol in Selected Frozen Foods. J. Assoc. Off. Anal. Chem. 73, 817–820.
- Horwitz, W. (1982) Evaluation the Analytical Methods Used for Regulation of Foods and Drugs. Anal. Chem. 54, 67A-76A. CrossRef
- Paniangvait, P., King, A.J., Jones, A.D., and German, B.G. (1995). Cholesterol Oxides in Foods of Animal Orginin, J. Food Sci. 60, 1159–1174. CrossRef
- Galobart, J. and Guardiola, F. (2002) Formation and Content of Cholesterol Oxidation Products in Egg and Egg Products in Cholesterol and Phytosterol Oxidation Products: Analysis, Occurrence, and Biological Effects (Guardiola, F., Dutta, P.C., Codony, R., and Savage, G.P., eds.), pp. 127–145. AOCS Press, Champaign, IL.
- Nourooz-Zadeh, J. (1990) Determination of the Autoxidation Products from Free or Total Cholesterol: A New Multistep Enrichment Methodology Including the Enzymatic Release of Esterified Cholesterol. J. Agric. Food. Chem. 38, 1667–1673. CrossRef
- Nourooz-Zadeh, J., and Appelqvist, L.A. (1987) Cholesterol Oxides in Swedish Foods and Food Ingredients: Fresh Eggs and Dehydrated Egg Products. J. Food Sci 52, 57–67. CrossRef
- Whale, K.W.J., Hoppe, P.P., and Mcintosh, G. (1993) Effects of Storage and Various Intrinsic Vitamin E Concentrations on Lipid Oxidation in Dried Egg Powders. J. Sci. Food Agric., 61, 463–469. CrossRef
- USDA. (2000) Nutrient Database for Standard Reference. Release 13, NDB nos. 10199 and 01125.
- HPLC method for quantification and characterization of cholesterol and its oxidation products in eggs
Volume 41, Issue 6 , pp 615-622
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Food Science, Faculty of Food Engineering, State University of Campinas, 13083-862, Campinas, SP, Brazil
- 2. Thomson Mass Spectrometry Laboratory, Institute of Chemistry, State University of Campinas, 13083-970, Campinas, SP, Brazil