Fatty acid composition of wild and farmed Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) and rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The goal of this study was to examine the FA composition of wild and farmed Atlantic salmon (AS) and rainbow trout (RT). FA profiles were obtained by GC/FID. Results showed that lipid and n−3 highly unsaturated FA contents of farmed and wild AS were similar. Total n−3 and n−6 PUFA were significantly higher in farmed AS than in wild AS. Farmed RT contained more fat and less n−3 PUFA than wild RT. Our results show that farmed salmonids provide high levels of n−3 HUFA to consumers.
- Harris, W.S., and Von Schacky, C. (2004) The Omega-3 Index: A New Risk Factor for Sudden Cardiac Death? Prev. Med. 39, 212–220. CrossRef
- Delgado, C.L., Wada, N., Rosegrant, M.W., Meijer, S., and Ahmed, M. (2003) Fish to 2020: Supply and Demand in Changing Global Markets, ISBN 0-89629-725-X, International Food Policy Research Institute and WorldFish Center, Washington, DC.
- Shaikh, N.A., and Downar, E. (1981) Time Course of Changes in Porcine Myocardial Phospholipid Levels During Ischemia. A Reassessment of the Lysolipid Hypothesis, Circ. Res. 49, 316–325.
- Lepage, G., and Roy, C.C. (1986) Direct Transesterification of All Classes of Lipids in a One-Step Reaction, J. Lipid Res. 127, 114–120.
- Cahu, C., Salen, P., and de Lorgeril, M. (2004) Farmed and Wild Fish in the Prevention of Cardiovascular Diseases: Assessing Possible Differences in Lipid Nutritional Values, Nutr. Metab. Cardiovasc. Dis. 14, 34–41. CrossRef
- Nettleton, J.A. (2000) Fatty Acids in Cultivated and Wild Fish, in Proceedings of the International Institute of Fisheries Economics and Trade, (July 10–14), II/FET, Oregon State University, Corvallis.
- Bell, J.G., McEvoy, J., Tocher, D.R., McGhee, F., Campbell, P.J., and Sargent, J.R. (2001) Replacement of Fish Oil with Rapessed Oil in Diets of Atlantic Salmon (Salmo salar) Affects Tissue Lipid Compositions and Hepatocyte Fatty Acid Metabolism, J. Nutr. 131, 1535–1543.
- Ackman, R.G., and Takeuchi, T. (1986) Comparison of Fatty Acids and Lipids of Smolting Hatchery-Fed and Wild Atlantic Salmon Salmo salar, Lipids 21, 117–120.
- Fatty acid composition of wild and farmed Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) and rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss)
Volume 40, Issue 5 , pp 529-531
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Public Health Research Unit, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Québec (CHUQ), G1V5B3, Québec, Canada
- 2. Institut National de Santé Publique du Québec, 945 Wolfe Ave., G1V 5B3, Sainte-Foy, Québec, Canada
- 3. Lipid Research Center, CHUQ, G1V4G2, Québec, Canada
- 4. Ministère de l’Agriculture, des Pêcheries et de l’Alimentation du Québec (MAPAQ), G1R4X6, Québec, Canada