Influence of dietary long-chain PUFA on premature baboon lung FA and dipalmitoyl PC composition
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
One of the major survival challenges of premature birth is production of lung surfactant. The lipid component of surfactant, dipalmitoyl PC (DPPC), increases in concentration in the period before normal term birth via a net shift in FA composition away from unsaturates. We investigated the influence of dietary DHA and arachidonic acid (AA) on lung FA composition and DPPC concentration in term and preterm baboons. Pregnant animals/neonates were randomized to one of four groups: breast-fed (B), term formula-fed (T−), preterm formulafed (P−), and preterm fed formula supplemented with DHA-AA (P+). Breast milk contained 0.68%wt DHA and the P+ group formula contained 0.61%wt DHA. In the preterm groups (P− and P+), pregnant females received a course of antenatal corticosteroids. At the adjusted age of 4 wk, neonate lung tissue was harvested, and FA composition and DPPC were analyzed. Palmitate was ∼28%wt of lung total FA and no significant differences were found among the four treatment groups. In contrast, DPPC in the B group lung tissue was significantly greater than DPPC in the unsupplemented groups, but not compared with the P+ group. The B and P+ groups were not significantly different in DHA and AA, but were different compared with the unsupplemented (T, P−) groups. These results indicate that LCP supplementation increases lung DHA and AA, without compromising overall lung 16∶0 or DPPC. The shift in FA composition toward greater unsaturation in the groups consuming LCP supported improved surfactant lipid concentration in preterm neonate lungs.
- Liggins, G.C. (1994) The Role of Cortisol in Preparing the Fetus for Birth, Reprod. Fertil. Dev. 6, 141–150. CrossRef
- Gross, I. (1990) Regulation of Fetal Lung Maturation, Am. J. Physiol. 259, 337–344.
- Liggins, G.C. (1994) Fetal Lung Maturation, Aust. N. Z. J. Obstet. Gynaecol. 34, 247–250.
- Ballard, P.L. (1989) Hormonal Regulation of Pulmonary Surfactant, Endocr. Rev. 10, 165–181.
- Crowley, P.A. (1995) Antenatal Corticosteroid Therapy: A Meta-Analysis of the Randomized Trials, 1972 to 1994, Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 173, 332–335. CrossRef
- Avery, M.E., and Mead, J. (1959) Surface Properties in Relation to Atelectasis and Hyaline Membrane Disease, Am. J. Dis. Child. 97, 17–23.
- Moriette, G., Brunhes, A., Laffont, M., Coffinieres, A., Desfrere, L., and Jarreau, P.H. (2001) Management of Respiratory Distress Syndrome: An Update, Pediatr. Pulmonol. Suppl. 23, 100–102. CrossRef
- Liggins, G.C. (1968) Premature Parturition After Infusion of Corticotrophin or Cortisol into Foetal Lambs, J. Endocrinol. 42, 323–329.
- Rimensberger, P. (2002) Neonatal Respiratory Failure, Curr. Opin. Pediatr. 14, 315–321. CrossRef
- Hills, B.A. (1988) The Biology of Surfactant, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Bolt, R.J., van Weissenbruch, M.M., Lafeber, H.N., and Delemarre-van de Waal, H.A. (2001) Glucocorticoids and Lung Development in the Fetus and Preterm Infant, Pediatr. Pulmonol. 32, 76–91. CrossRef
- Bunt, J.E., Carnielli, V.P., Janssen, D.J., Wattimena, J.L., Hop, W.C., Sauer, P.J., and Zimmermann, L.J. (2000) Treatment with Exogenous Surfactant Stimulates Endogenous Surfactant Synthesis in Premature Infants with Respiratory Distress Syndrome, Crit. Care Med. 28, 3383–3388. CrossRef
- Bunt, J.E., Carnielli, V.P., Seidner, S.R., Ikegami, M., Darcos-Wattimena, J.L., Sauer, P.J., Jobe, A.H., and Zimmermann, L.J. (1999) Metabolism of Endogenous Surfactant in Premature Baboons and Effect of Prenatal Corticosteroids, Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 160, 1481–1485.
- Ervin, M.G., Seidner, S.R., Leland, M.M., Ikegami, M., and Jobe, A.H. (1998) Direct Fetal Glucocorticoid Treatment Alters Postnatal Adaptation in Premature Newborn Baboons, Am. J. Physiol. 274, R1169-R1176.
- Sarkadi-Nagy, E., Wijendran, V., Diau, G.Y., Chao, A.C., Hsieh, A.T., Turpeinen, A., Nathanielsz, P.W., and Brenna, J.T. (2003) The Influence of Prematurity and Long Chain Polyunsaturate Supplementation in 4-Week Adjusted Age Baboon Neonate Brain and Related Tissues, Pediatr. Res. (in press).
- Bligh, E.G., and Dyer, W.J. (1959) A Rapid Method of Total Lipid Extraction and Purification, Can. J. Biochem. Physiol. 37, 911–917.
- Huang, M.C., Chao, A., Kirwan, R., Tschanz, C., Peralta, J.M., Diersen-Schade, D.A., Cha, S., and Brenna, J.T. (2002) Negligible Changes in Piglet Serum Clinical Indicators or Organ Weights Due to Dietary Single-Cell Long-Chain Polyunsaturated Oils, Food Chem. Toxicol. 40, 453–460. CrossRef
- Van Pelt, C.K., and Brenna, J.T. (1999) Acetonitrile Chemical Ionization Tandem Mass Spectrometry to Locate Double Bonds in Polyunsaturated Fatty Acid Methyl Esters, Anal. Chem. 71, 1981–1989. CrossRef
- Brenna, J.T. (2002) Efficiency of Conversion of α-Linolenic Acid to Long Chain n−3 Fatty Acids in Man, Curr. Opin. Clin. Nutr. Metab. Care 5, 127–132. CrossRef
- Liggins, G. (1969) Prenlature Delivery of Fetal Lamb Infused with Glucocorticoids, J. Endocrinol. 45, 515–523. CrossRef
- Liggins, G.C., and Howie, R.N. (1972) A Controlled Trial of Antepartum Glucocorticoid Treatment for Prevention of the Respiratory Distress Syndrome in Premature Infants, Pediatrics 50, 515–525.
- Caughey, A.B., and Parer, J.T. (2002) Recommendations for Repeat Courses of Antenatal Corticosteroids: A Decision Analysis, Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 186, 1221–1226, discussion 1226–1229. CrossRef
- Huang, M.C., and Craig-Schmidt, M.C. (1996) Arachidonate and Docosahexaenoate Added to Infant Formula Influence Fatty Acid Composition and Subsequent Eicosanoid Production in Neonatal Pigs, J. Nutr. 126, 2199–2208.
- Influence of dietary long-chain PUFA on premature baboon lung FA and dipalmitoyl PC composition
Volume 38, Issue 4 , pp 425-429
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors