Antioxidant action of a lipophilic nitroxyl radical, cyclohexane-1-spiro-2′-(4′-oxyimidazolidine-1′-oxyl)-5′-spiro-1″-cyclohexane, against lipid peroxidation under hypoxic conditions
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Nitroxyl radicals are known to act as radical scavenging antioxidants. In the present study, a lipophilic nitroxyl radical, cyclohexane-1-spiro-2′-(4′-oxyimidazolidine-1′-oxyl)-5′-spiro-1″-cyclohexane (nitroxyl radical I) was synthesized and its antioxidant capacity was assessed in comparison with a hydrophilic nitroxyl radical, 4-hydroxy-2,2,6,6-tetramethylpiperidine-N-oxyl (Tempol). Both nitroxyl radical I and Tempol inhibited methyl linoleate oxidation induced by free radicals, and the efficacy increased with decreasing partial pressure of oxygen, the effect being more pronounced for nitroxyl radical I than Tempol. Their hydroxylamines inhibited lipid peroxidation more effectively than their corresponding parent nitroxyl radicals. In liposomal membranes, a synergistic effect was observed in the combination of nitroxyl radical I with ascorbic acid, whereas only an additive effect was observed between Tempol and ascorbic acid. The present study suggests that nitroxyl radical I and its hydroxylamine may act as potent antioxidants, especially in combination with ascorbic acid under hypoxic conditions.
- Halliwell, B., and Gutteridge, J.M.C. (1985) Free Radicals in Biology and Medicine, Clarendon Press, Oxford.
- Brownlie, I.T., and Ingold, K.U. (1967) The Inhibited Autoxidation of Styrene. Part VII. Inhibition by Nitroxides and Hydroxylamines, Can. J. Chem. 45, 2427–2432. CrossRef
- Zeltcer, G., Berenshtein, E., Samuni, A., and Chevion, M. (1997) Nitroxide Radicals Prevent Metal-Aggravated Reperfusion Injury in Isolated Rat Heart, Free Radic. Res. 27, 627–636.
- Wink, D.A., Feelisch, M., Fukuto, J., Chistodoulou, D., Jour-d'heuil, D., Grisham, M.B., Vodovotz, Y., Cook, J.A., Krishna, M., DeGraff, W.G., et al. (1998) The Cytotoxicity of Nitroxyl: Possible Implications for the Pathophysiological Role of NO, Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 351, 66–74. CrossRef
- McDonald, M.C., Zacharowski, K., Bowes, J., Cuzzocrea, S., and Thiemermann, C. (1999) Tempol Reduces Infarct Size in Rodent Models of Regional Myocardial Ischemia and Reperfusion, Free Radic. Biol. Med. 27, 493–503. CrossRef
- Rak, R., Chao, D.L., Pluta, R.M., Mitchell, J.B., Oldfield, E.H., and Watson, J.C. (2000) Neutroprotection by the Stable Nitroxide Tempol During Reperfusion in a Rat Model of Transient Focal Ischemia, J. Neurosurg. 92, 646–651. CrossRef
- Noguchi, N., Damiani, E., Greci, L., and Niki, E. (1997) Action of Quinolinic and Indolinonic Aminoxyls as Radical-Scavenging Antioxidants, Chem. Phys. Lipids 99, 11–19. CrossRef
- Carloni, P., Damiani, E., Scattolini, M., Stipa, P., and Greci, L. (2000) Reactivity of 2,2-Diphenyl-1,2-dihydro-4-ethoxyquinolin-1-yloxyl Towards Oxygen- and Carbon-Centered Radicals, J. Chem. Soc. Perkin Trans. 2, 447–451.
- Niki, E., and Noguchi, N. (2000) Evaluation of Antioxidant Capacity. What Capacity Is Being Measured by Which Method? IUBMB Life 50, 323–329. CrossRef
- Murayama, K., Morimura, S., and Yoshioka, T. (1969) Studies on Stable Free Radicals. II. Reactivity of Stable Nitroxide Radicals and NMR Spectra of Reaction Products, Bull. Chem. Soc. Jpn. 42, 1640–1643. CrossRef
- Noguchi, N., Okimoto, Y., Tsuchiya, J., Cynshi, O., Kodama, T., and Niki, E. (1997) Inhibition of Oxidation of Low-Density Lipoprotein by a Novel Antioxidant, BO-653, Prepared by Theoretical Design, Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 347, 141–147. CrossRef
- Shi, H., Noguchi, N., and Niki, E. (2001) Galvinoxyl Method for Standardizing Electron and Proton Donation Activity, Methods Enzymol. 335, 157–166.
- Noguchi, N., and Niki, E. (1998) Dynamics of Vitamin E Action Against LDL Oxidation, Free Radic. Res. 28, 561–572. CrossRef
- Kamal-Eldin, A., and Appelqvist, L.A. (1996) The Chemistry and Antioxidant Properties of Tocopherols and Tocotrienols, Lipids 31, 671–701. CrossRef
- Yamamoto, Y., Niki, e., and Kamiya, Y. (1982) Oxidation of Lipids. I. Quantitative Determination of the Oxidation of Methyl Linoleate and Methyl Linolenate, Bull. Chem. Soc. Jpn. 55, 1548–1550. CrossRef
- Porter, N.A., Caldwell, S.E., and Mills, K.A. (1995) Mechanisms of Free Radical Oxidation of Unsaturated Lipids, Lipids 30, 277–290.
- Takahashi, M., Tsuchiya, J., Niki, E., and Urano, S. (1988) Action of Vitamin E as Antioxidant in Phospholipid Liposomal Membranes as Studied by Spin Label Technique. J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol. 34, 25–34.
- Gotoh, N., Noguchi, N., Tsuchiya, J., Morita, K., Sakai, H., Shimasaki, H., and Niki, E. (1996) Inhibition of Oxidation of Low Density Lipoprotein by Vitamin E and Related Compounds, Free Radic. Res. 24, 123–134.
- Antioxidant action of a lipophilic nitroxyl radical, cyclohexane-1-spiro-2′-(4′-oxyimidazolidine-1′-oxyl)-5′-spiro-1″-cyclohexane, against lipid peroxidation under hypoxic conditions
Volume 38, Issue 3 , pp 225-231
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors