Phospholipid identification and quantification of membrane vesicle subfractions by 31P−1H two-dimensional nuclear magnetic resonance
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
An approach to the direct quantification of phospholipids from two-dimensional 31P−1H nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy with isotropic proton mixing has been developed as a general method for phospholipid analysis of minor membrane vesicle subfractions. Membrane vesicles were subfractionated by sedimentation to density equilibrium in a sucrose gradient, and a modified Folch method was employed to extract their phospholipids. The coefficient for the NMR detection efficiency of each phospholipid and the relative mole percentage of the phospholipids present in the membrane vesicles were calculated. We demonstrate low detection limits such that relative concentrations of phospholipids in membrane subfractions may be determined even in the submicromolar range.
- Casu, M., Anderson, G.J., Choi, G., and Gibbons, W.A. (1991) NMR Lipid Profiles, Tissues and Body Fluids, Magn. Reson. Chem. 29, 594–602. CrossRef
- Adosraku, R.K., Smith, J.D., Nicolaou, A., and Gibbons, W.A. (1996) Tetrahymena therophila; Analysis of Phospholipids and Phosphonolipids by High Field 1H-NMR, Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1299, 167–174.
- Pearce, J.M., Shifman, M.A., Pappas, A.A., and Komoroski, R.A. (1991) Analysis of Phospholipids in Human Amniotic Fluid by 31P NMR, Magn. Reson. Med. 21, 107–116.
- Edzes, H.T., Teerlink, T., Valk, J. (1991) Phospholipid Identification in Tissue Extracts by Two-Dimensional 32P−1H NMR Spectroscopy with Isotropic Mixing, J. Magn. Reson. 95, 387–395.
- Merchant, T.E., Diamantis, P.M., Lauwers, G., Haida, T., Kasimos, J.N., Guillem, J., Glonek, T., and Minsky, B.O. (1995) Characterization of Malignant Colon Tumors with 31P Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Phospholipid and Phosphatic Metabolic Profiles, Cancer 76, 1715–1723. CrossRef
- Henke, J., Willker, W., Engelmann, J., and Leibfritz, D. (1996) Combined Extraction Techniques of Tumour Cells and Lipid/Phospholipid Assignment by Two-Dimensional NMR Spectroscopy, Anticancer Res. 16, 1417–1427.
- Edzes, H.T., Teerlink, T., Van Der Knapp, M.S., and Valk, J. (1992) Analysis of Phospholipids by 31P-NMR at Different Compositions of the Solvent System Chloroform-Methanol-Water, Magn. Reson. Med. 26, 46–59.
- Pearce, J.M., and Komoroski, R.A. (1993) Resolution of Phospholipid Molecular Species by 31P-NMR, Magn. Reson. Med. 29, 724–731.
- Collas, P., and Poccia, D.L. (1996) Distinct Egg Membrane Vesicles Differing in Binding and Fusion Properties Contribute to Sea Urchin Male Pronuclear Envelopes Formed in vitro, J. Cell Sci. 109, 1275–1283.
- Collas, P., and Poccia, D.L. (1998) Methods for Studying in vitro Assembly of Male Pronuclei Using Oocyte Extracts from Marine Invertebrates: Sea Urchins and Surf Clams, Methods Cell Biol. 53, 417–452. CrossRef
- Glonek, T., and Merchant, T.E. (1996) 31P Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Profiling of Phospholipids, in Advances in Lipid Methodology—Three (Christie, W.W., ed.) pp. 37–75, Oily Press, Dundee.
- Coligan, J.E., Kruesbeek, A.M., Margulies, D.H., Shevach, E.M., and Strober, W. (1997) in Current Protocols in Immunology (Coico, R., ed.) Section 13.5.2–13.5.12. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York.
- Bodenhausen, G., Ruben, D.J. (1980) natural Abundance Nitrogen-15 NMR by Enhanced Heteronuclear Spectroscopy, Chem. Phys. Lett 69, 185–188. CrossRef
- Bax, A., Griffey, R.H., and Hawkins, B.L. (1983) Correlation of Proton and Nitrogen-15 Chemical Shifts by Multiple Quantum NMR, J. Magn. Reson. 55, 301–315.
- Bax, A., and Davis, D.G. (1985) MLEV-17 Based Two-dimensional Homonuclear Magnetization Transfer Spectroscopy, J. Magn. Reson. 65, 355–360.
- Braun, S., Kalinowski, H.-O., and Berger, S. (1998) in 150 and More Basic NMR Experiments, Experiments: HMQC, 10.13, HSQC, 10.17, TOCSY, 10.18, Wiley-VCH, New York.
- Metz, K.R., and Dunphy, K.L. (1996) Absolute Quantitation of Tissue Phospholipids Using 31P NMR, J. Lipid Res. 37, 2251–2265.
- Van Meer, G. (1998) Lipids in the Golgi Membrane, Trends Cell. Biol. 8, 29–33. CrossRef
- Engen, R.L., and Clark, C.L. (1990) High-Performance Liquid Chromatography Determination of Erythrocyte Membrane Phospholipid Composition in Several Animal Species, Am. J. Vet. Res. 51, 577–580.
- Wintrobe, M.M., Lee, G.R., Boggs, D.R., Bithell, T.C., Foerster, J., et al. (1981) in Clinical Hematology, Chapter 4, pp. 80, Lea & Febiger, Philadelphia.
- Phospholipid identification and quantification of membrane vesicle subfractions by 31P−1H two-dimensional nuclear magnetic resonance
Volume 35, Issue 11 , pp 1289-1297
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Biology, Amherst College, 01002, Amherst, Massachusetts
- 3. Conte National Center for Polymer Research, Department of Polymer Science and Engineering, University of Massachusetts at Amherst, 01003, Amherst, Massachusetts