Head group-modified sophorolipids: Synthesis of new cationic, zwitterionic, and anionic surfactants
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Amino acid-glycolipid conjugates were prepared using carbodiimide-mediated coupling methods. The amino acid units were multifunctional and possessed a para-aminobenzoic acid linker. The glycolipid used was a stearic sophoroside. The aim of preparing these modified sophorolipids was to increase their water solubility as well as to introduce sites at the polar head groups that permitted further chemical derivatization. After acidolytic or hydrogenolytic deprotection of the amino acid N-terminus or side chain, water-soluble compounds were obtained that displayed good surfactant properties. Critical micelle concentration values were clustered in the range of high 10−6 to low 10−5 M, and minimum surface tension values were below 40 mN m−1. Two of the compounds represented more complicated structural classes, namely, gemini and bolaform surfactants.
- Asmer, H.-J., S. Lang, F. Wagner, and V. Wray, Microbial Production, Structure Elucidation and Bioconversion of Sophorose Lipids, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 65:1460 (1988).
- Cavalero, D.A., and D.G. Cooper, The Effect of Medium Composition on the Structure and Physical State of Sophorolipids Produced by Candida bombicola ATCC 22214, J. Biotechnol. 103:31 (2003).
- Solaiman, D.K.Y., R.D. Ashby, A. Nunez, and T.A. Foglia, Production of Sophorolipids by Candida bombicola Grown on Soy Molasses as Substrate, Biotech. Lett. 26:1241 (2004). CrossRef
- Lang, S., A. Brakemeier, R. Heckmann, S. Spockner, and U. Rau, Production of Native and Modified Sophorose Lipids, Chim. Oggi 18:76 (2000).
- Singh, S.K., A.P. Felse, A. Nunez, T.A. Foglia, and R.A. Gross, Regioselective Enzyme-Catalyzed Synthesis of Sophorolipid Esters, Amides, and Multifunctional Monomers, J. Org. Chem. 68:5466 (2003). CrossRef
- Zhang, L., P. Somasundaran, S.K. Singh, A.P. Felse, and R. Gross, Synthesis and Interfacial Properties of Sophorolipid Derivatives, Coll. Surf. A: Physicochem. Eng. Aspects 240:75 (2004). CrossRef
- Bisht, K.S., R.A. Gross, and D.L. Kaplan, Enzyme-Mediated Regioselective Acylations of Sophorolipids, J. Org. Chem. 64:780 (1999). CrossRef
- Bisht, K.S., W. Gao, and R.A. Gross, Glycolipids from Candida bombicola: Polymerization of a 6-O-Acryloyl Sophorolipid Derivative, Macromolecules 33:6208 (2000). CrossRef
- Carr, J.A., and K.S. Bisht, Enzyme-Catalyzed Regioselective Transesterification of Peracylated Sophorolipids, Tetrahedron 59:7713 (2003). CrossRef
- Enaud, E., C. Humeau, B. Piffaut, and M. Girardin Enzymatic Synthesis of New Aromatic Esters of Phloridzin, J. Mol. Catal. B: Enzymatic 27:1 (2003). CrossRef
- Chevalier, Y., New Surfactants: New Chemical Functions and Molecular Architectures, Curr. Opin. Coll. Interface Sci. 7:3 (2002). CrossRef
- Tsubone, K., N. Uchida, H. Niwase, and K. Honda, Syntheses of Sodium 2-(N-Alkyl-N-methylamino) ethanephosphates and Their Physicochemical Properties, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 66:829 (1989).
- Laughlin, R.G., Fundamentals of the Zwitterionic Hydrophilic Group, Langmuir 7:842 (1991). CrossRef
- Adelhorst, K., F. Bjorkling, S.E. Godtfredsen, and O. Kirk, Enzyme Catalysed Preparation of 6-O-Acylglucopyranosides, Synthesis: 112 (1990).
- Head group-modified sophorolipids: Synthesis of new cationic, zwitterionic, and anionic surfactants
Journal of Surfactants and Detergents
Volume 9, Issue 1 , pp 57-62
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Amino acids
- Industry Sectors