Equivalent theorem of Hellinger-Reissner and Hu-Washizu variational principles
- Jihuan He Ph. D.
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The paper has proved that Hellinger-Reissner and Hu-Washizu variational principles are but equivalent principles in elasticity by following three ways: 1) Lagrange multiplier method. The paper points out that only a new independent variable can be introduced when one constraint equation has been eliminated by one Lagrange multiplier, which must be expressed as a function of the original variable(s) and/or the new introduced variable after identification. In using Lagrange multiplier method to deduce Hu-Washizu principle from the minimum potential energy principle, which has only one kind of independent variable namely displacement, by eliminating the constraint equations of stress-displacement relations, one can only obtain a principle with two kinds of variables namely displacement and stress; 2) involutory transformation, with such method Hu-Washizu variational principle can be deduce directly from the Hellinger-Reissner variational principle under the same variational constraints of stress-strain relation, and vice verse; 3)semi-inverse method, by which both of the above variational principles can be deduced from the minimum potential energy principle with the same variational constraints. So the three kinds of variational functions in Hu-Washizu variational principle are not independent to each other, the stress-strain relationships are still its constraint conditions.
- Hu, H.C. Some Variational Principles in Elasticity and Plasticity, Acta Physica Sinica, 10, 3 259–290 (1954)
- Chien, W.Z. On Generalized Variational Principles of Elasticity and Its Application to Plate and Shell Problems, Selected Works of Wei-Zang Chien, 419–444 Fujian Education Press 1989 (in Chinese)
- Chien, W.Z. Method of High-Order Lagrange Multiplier and Generalized Variational Principles of Elasticity with More General Froms of Functionals, Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, 4 (2), 137–150 (1983)
- Chien, W.Z. Further Study on Generalized Variational Principles in Elasticity — Discussion with Mr. Hu Hai-Chang on the Problem of Equivalent Theorem, Acta Mechanica Sinica, July 1983, 313–323 (in Chinese)
- Chien, W.Z. Generalized Variational Principle in Elasticity, Engineering Mechanics in Civil Engineering, 24 93–153 (1984)
- Liu, G.L. A Systematic Approach to the Research and Transformation for Variational Principles in Fluid Mechanics with Emphasis on Inverse and Hybrid Problems, Proc. of 1st Int. Symp. Aerothermo-Dynamics of Internal Flow, 1990, 128–135
- He, J.H. On Variational Crisis in Fluid Mechanics and Their Removal, 4th Congress of China Industry & Applied Mathematics. Shanghai 1996 (in Chinese)
- He, J.H. Semi-Inverse Method of Establishing Generalized Variational Principles for Fluid Mechanics With Emphasis on Turbomachinery Aerodynamics, International J. of Turbo & Jet-Engines, 14(1997).
- He, J.H. Semi-Inverse Method — A New Approach to Establishing Variational Principles for Fluid Mechanics, Chinese Annual Congress on Engineering Thermophysics, Beijing 1996 (in Chinese)
- Hu, H.C. On Lagrange Multiplier Method (in Chinese) Acta Mechanica Sinica, 17 (5) 426–434 (1985)
- Washizu, K. On the variational principles of elasticity and plasticity, Aeroelastic and Structures Research Laboratory, Massachuetts Institute of Technology, Technical Report, 25–18, March 1955
- Hu, H.C. On Hellinger-Reissner Pinciple and Hu-Washizu Principle (in Chinese), Acta Mechanica Sinica, 3, 1983.
- Hu, H.C. On Generalized Variational Principle and Nonconditional Variational Principle, Journal of Solid Mechanics, 3 462–463 (1984), (in Chinese)
- Chien, W. Z. Also on Generalized Variational Principle and Nonconditional Variational Principle, Journal of Solid Mechanics, 3 451–468 (1984) (in Chinese)
- Chien, W. Z. On Lagrange Multipliers, Acta Mechanica Sinica, 20 (4), 313–323 (1988) (in Chinese)
- Equivalent theorem of Hellinger-Reissner and Hu-Washizu variational principles
Journal of Shanghai University (English Edition)
Volume 1, Issue 1 , pp 36-41
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Shanghai University Press
- Additional Links
- variational principles in elasticity
- Hellinger-Reissner variational principle
- Hu-Washizu variational principle
- semi-inverse method
- Industry Sectors
- Jihuan He Ph. D. (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Shanghai Inst. of Appl. Math. & Mech. Shanghai University, 149 Yanchang Road, 200072, Shanghai