Medical treatment of colonic diverticular disease: are we sure the aim is right?
Colonic diverticular disease (DD) is one of the most common gastrointestinal conditions afflicting Western populations, with an estimated mortality in Europe of more than 20,000 per year . Although most patients with DD remain asymptomatic, about one-third will develop symptoms at some point in their lives, symptoms that range from chronic mild abdominal pain to acute episodes of diverticulitis complicated by abscess or frank colonic perforation .
Thus, it is not surprising that, given the frequency of the condition, the therapeutic aspects are mainly devoted to try to prevent the occurrence of complications occurring in these patients, mainly the onset of diverticulitis. Among the several new therapeutic options, paralleling more traditional therapeutic approaches (dietary fibers, antibiotics, etc.) , the use of mesalazine has been recently proposed .
Why use mesalazine to treat DD? The main working hypothesis is that the chronic mucosal inflammation seen in this condition i ...
- Delvaux M (2003) Diverticular disease of the colon in Europe: epidemiology, impacton citizen health and prevention. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 18(Suppl 3):71–74 CrossRef
- Hemming J, Floch M (2010) Features and management of colonic diverticular disease. Curr Gastroenterol Rep 12:399–407 CrossRef
- Touzios JG, Dozois EJ (2009) Diverticulosis and acute diverticulitis. Gastroenterol Clin North Am 38:513–525 CrossRef
- Floch MH, White JA (2006) Management of diverticular disease is changing. World J Gastroenterol 12:3225–3228
- Peppercorn MA (2004) The overlap of inflammatory bowel disease and diverticular disease. J Clin Gastroenterol 38(Suppl 5):S8–S10 CrossRef
- Floch MH (2006) A hypothesis: is diverticulitis a type of inflammatory bowel disease? J Clin Gastroeneterol 40(Suppl 3):S121–S125 CrossRef
- Gatta L, Vakil N, Vaira D, Pilotto A, Curlo M, Comparato G, Leandro G, Ferro U, Lera M, Milletti S, Di Mario F (2010) Efficacy of 5-ASA in the treatment of colonic diverticular disease. J Clin Gastroenterol 44:113–119 CrossRef
- Barbara G, Stanghellini V, Cremon C, De Giorgio R, Fronzoni L, Serra M, Corinaldesi R (2009) Aminosalicylates and other anti-inflammatory compounds for irritable bowel syndrome. Dig Dis 27(Suppl 1):115–121 CrossRef
- Gatta L, Di Mario F, Curlo M, Vaira D, Pilotto A, Lucarini P, Lera M, Enkleda K, Franzè A, Scarpignato C (2011) Long-term treatment with mesalazine in patients with symptomatic uncomplicated diverticular disease. Intern Emerg Med (in press)
- Humes DJ, Fleming KM, Spiller RC, West J (2011) Concurrent drug use and the risk of perforated colonic diverticular disease: a population-based case-control study. Gut 60:219–224 CrossRef
- Parra-Blanco A (2006) Colonic diverticular disease: pathophysiology and clinical picture. Digestion 73(Suppl 1):47–57 CrossRef
- Bassotti G, Battaglia E, de Roberto G, Morelli A, Tonini M, Villanacci V (2005) Alterations in colonic motility and relationship to pain in colonic diverticulosis. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 3:248–253 CrossRef
- Simpson J, Neal KR, Scholefield JH, Spiller RC (2003) Patterns of pain in diverticular disease and the influence of acute diverticulitis. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 15:1005–1010 CrossRef
- Bassotti G, Battaglia E, Bellone G, Dughera L, Fisogni S, Zambelli C, Morelli A, Mioli P, Emanuelli G, Villanacci V (2005) Interstitial cells of Cajal, enteric nerves, and glial cells in colonic diverticular disease. J Clin Pathol 58:973–977 CrossRef
- Simpson J, Sundler F, Humes DJ, Jenkins D, Scholefield JH, Spiller RC (2009) Post inflammatory damage to the enteric nervous system in diverticular disease and its relationship to symptoms. Neuro gastroenterol Motil 21:847–858 CrossRef
- Corinaldesi R, Stanghellini V, Cremon C, Gargano L, Cogliandro RF, De Giorgio R, Bartesaghi G, Canovi B, Barbara G (2009) Effect of mesalazine on mucosal immune biomarkers in irritable bowel syndrome: a randomized controlled proof-of-concept study. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 30:245–252 CrossRef
- Rocco A, Compare D, Caruso F, Nardone G (2009) Treatment options for uncomplicated diverticular disease of the colon. J Clin Gastroenterol 43:803–808 CrossRef
- Medical treatment of colonic diverticular disease: are we sure the aim is right?
Internal and Emergency Medicine
Volume 7, Issue 2 , pp 97-98
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Milan
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Gastroenterology and Hepatology Section, Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Perugia, Perugia, Italy
- 3. Clinica di Gastroenterologia ed Epatologia, Ospedale Santa Maria della Misericordia, Piazzale Menghini, 1, 06156, San Sisto (Perugia), Italy
- 2. 2nd Pathology Department, Spedali Civili, Brescia, Italy