Can nonalcoholic steatohepatitis trigger porphyria cutanea tarda clinical manifestations?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Porphyria cutanea tarda (PCT), the most common form of porphyria, is characterized by cutaneous lesions that appear after exposure to sunlight that are caused by uroporphyrin deposits. Reduced activity of hepatic urophorphyrinogen decarboxylase (URO-D) underlies the disease whose clinical manifestations are triggered by chronic HCV (hepatitis C virus) infection, alcoholic liver disease (ALD), drugs such as estrogens, and exposure to toxic compounds. Excess hepatic iron seems to be able to trigger PCT clinical manifestation in susceptible individuals, and it is still debated whether alcohol and HCV induce PCT by themselves or through their known effect on iron metabolism.
Mild iron overload is detected in the majority of patients with PCT, and iron depletion by phlebotomy induces disease remission and normalizes uroporphyrin levels in the majority of cases . A high prevalence of mutations in the HFE gene of hereditary hemochromatosis has been reported in patients with PCT, with the C2
- Fargion S, Fracanzani AL (2003) Prevalence of hepatitis C virus infection in porphyria cutanea tarda. J Hepatol 39:635–638 CrossRef
- Aigner E, Theurl I et al (2008) Pathways underlying iron accumulation in human nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Am J Clin Nutr 87:1374–1383
- Valenti L, Dongiovanni P et al (2003) Increased susceptibility to nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in heterozygotes for the mutation responsible for hereditary hemochromatosis. Dig Liver Dis 35:172–178 CrossRef
- Valenti L, Dongiovanni P et al (2008) HFE mutations in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Hepatology 47:1794–1795 CrossRef
- Bugianesi E, Manzini P et al (2004) Relative contribution of iron burden, HFE mutations, and insulin resistance to fibrosis in nonalcoholic fatty liver. Hepatology 39:179–187 CrossRef
- Adams PC, Reboussin DM et al (2005) Hemochromatosis and iron-overload screening in a racially diverse population. N Engl J Med 352:1769–1780 CrossRef
- Sampietro M, Piperno A et al (1998) High prevalence of the His63Asp HFE mutation in Italian patients with porphyria cutanea tarda. Hepatology 27:181–184 CrossRef
- Grieco A, Alfei B et al (2001) Non-alcoholic steatohepatitis induced by carbamazepine and variegate porphyria. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 13:973–975 CrossRef
- Can nonalcoholic steatohepatitis trigger porphyria cutanea tarda clinical manifestations?
Internal and Emergency Medicine
Volume 4, Issue 1 , pp 91-92
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Milan
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Dipartimento di Medicina Interna, UO Medicina Interna IB, Padiglione Granelli Universita’ degli Studi di Milano, Ospedale Policlinico Mangialli e Regina Elena Fondazione IRCCS, Università di Milano, Via F Sforza 35, 20122, Milan, Italy
- 2. Department of Dermatology, Ospedale Policlinico Mangiagalli Regina Elena IRCCS, Università di Milano, Milan, Italy