Do diabetes and obesity promote hepatic fibrosis in familial heterozygous hypobetalipoproteinemia?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The course of NAFLD secondary to familial heterozygous hypobetalipoproteinemia (FHBL), a definite etiology of secondary nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) [1–3] featuring low density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) and apolipoprotein B (ApoB) plasma levels less than fifth percentile , is unknown. We report on a case with FHBL due to compound heterozygosity and apoB non-detectable in serum in which a long-term follow-up and paired liver biopsies were available.
A 58 year-old obese woman with FHBL was observed in June 2007 for abdominal pain and poorly controlled type 2 diabetes (T2D). The T2D began at the age of 40. It was complicated by peripheral neuropathy of the legs, and a chronic vascular encephalopathy that was documented by computed tomography. The patient was initially treated with a combination therapy (i.e., metformin plus glibenclamide plus insulin). Additional medications used were gabapentin for the peripheral neuropathy, thiamazole for multinodular hyperthyroidism ...
- Tarugi, P, Lonardo, A, Ballarini, G (1996) Fatty liver in heterozygous hypobetalipoproteinemia caused by a novel truncated form of apolipoprotein B. Gastroenterology 111: pp. 1125-1133 CrossRef
- Falck-Ytter, Y, Younossi, ZM, Marchesini, G (2001) Clinical features and natural history of nonalcoholic steatosis syndromes. Semin Liver Dis 21: pp. 17-26 CrossRef
- Sankatsing, RR, Fouchier, SW, Haan, S (2005) Hepatic and cardiovascular consequences of familial hypobetalipoproteinemia. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 25: pp. 1979-1984 CrossRef
- Tarugi, P, Averna, M, Di Leo, E (2007) Molecular diagnosis of hypobetalipoproteinemia: An ENID review. Atherosclerosis 195: pp. e19-e27 CrossRef
- Matteoni, CA, Younossi, ZM, Gramlich, T, Boparai, N, Liu, YC, McCullough, AJ (1999) Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: a spectrum of clinical and pathological severity. Gastroenterology 116: pp. 1413-1419 CrossRef
- Lonardo, A, Lombardini, S, Scaglioni, F (2006) Hepatic steatosis and insulin resistance: does etiology make a difference?. J Hepatol 4: pp. 190-196 CrossRef
- Marchesini, G, Bugianesi, E, Forlani, G (2003) Nonalcoholic fatty liver, steatohepatitis, and the metabolic syndrome. Hepatology 37: pp. 917-923 CrossRef
- Larrey, D (2000) Drug-induced liver diseases. J Hepatol 32: pp. 77-88 CrossRef
- Lonardo, A, Bagni, A, Tarugi, P (2004) The wide spectrum of steatohepatitis: a report of four cases and a review of the literature. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 16: pp. 1043-1050 CrossRef
- Farrell, GC, Larter, CZ (2006) Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: from steatosis to cirrhosis. Hepatology 43: pp. S99-S112 CrossRef
- Do diabetes and obesity promote hepatic fibrosis in familial heterozygous hypobetalipoproteinemia?
Internal and Emergency Medicine
Volume 4, Issue 1 , pp 71-73
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Milan
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Internal Medicine, Endocrinology, Metabolism and Geriatrics, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Nuovo Ospedale Civile Sant’Agostino Estense di Baggiovara, Via Giardini 1355, 41100, Modena, Italy
- 2. Department of Pathology, Azienda Ospedaliero-Universitaria Policlinico di Modena, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Via del Pozzo 51, 41100, Modena, Italy