Virtue Ethics and Being Morally Moved
- Qingjie Wang
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This essay shall discuss the moral feeling of “being morally moved” (daode gandong 道德感动) and explore its philosophical significances in understanding the nature of virtue ethics, especially that of Confucian ethics as exemplary ethics. I would like to argue that the feeling of being morally moved, similar to other feelings such as resentment or indignation, should be seen as one of the most important testimonies or manifestations of our morality or moral consciousness. It has played a very important role of moral judgment and moral cultivation in the history of Chinese moral philosophy and in its everyday moral practices. Instead of being a testimony of morality as cold laws or norms, “being morally moved” is a testimony to our moral virtues, and it should be a living motive of our moral actions as well.
- Analects. 1938. In The Analects of Confucius. Trans. by Arthur Waley. New York: Macmillan Co.
- Anscombe, G.E.M. 1958. “Modern Moral Philosophy.” Philosophy: The Journal of the Royal Institute of Philosophy 33: 1-19.
- Book of Poetry, The. 1994. In Contemporary Commentary and Translation of the Thirteen Classics 十三經今注今譯. Changsha 長沙: Yuelu Shushe 嶽麓書社. (English Translation by James Legge, The She King or The Book of Poetry. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1871.)
- Chan, Wing-Tsit. 1963. A Source Book of Chinese Philosophy. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- Chen, Jiaying 陳嘉映. 2000. “Moving, Caring, and Arts 感人、關切、藝術.” In his Thinking on the Long Way 思遠道. Fuzhou 福州: Jujian Jiaoyu Chubanshe 福建教育出版社.
- Cheng, Hao and Cheng Yi. 1981. Books of Cheng Hao and Cheng Yi 二程集. Beijing 北京: Zhonghua Shuju 中華書局.
- Chongqing Daily 重慶日報. January 17, 2006.
- Gao, Heng 高亨. 1979. Contemporary Commentary on the Appendixes of the Book of Change 周易大傳今注. Ji’nan 濟南: Qilu Shushe 齊魯書社.
- Hare, R.M. 1963. Freedom and Reason. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
- He, Huaihong 何懷宏. 1998. “A Universalist Bottom-line Ethics 一種普遍主義的底線倫理學.” In his A Theory of Conscience 良心論. Shanghai 上海: Sanlian Shudian 三聯書店.
- Huang, Yushun 黃玉順. 1995. Examinations and Exegeses of the Ancient Folk Songs in the Book of Change 易經古歌考釋. Chengdu 成都: Bashu Shushe 巴蜀書社.
- Hume, David. 1978. A Treatise of Human Nature. Ed. by L.A. Selby-Bigge. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
- Mencius. 1970. Trans. by D.C. Lau. London: Penguin Classics.
- Nietzsche, Friedrich. 2003. Genealogy of Morals. New York: Dover Publications.
- Reilly, Rick. 2005. “Strongest Dad in the World.” Sports Illustrated. June 20.
- Slote, Michael. 2007. Ethics of Care and Empathy. London and New York: Routledge.
- Scheler, Max. 1973. Formalism in Ethics and Non-Formal Ethics of Values: A New Attempt toward the Foundation of an Ethical Personalism. Trans. by Manfred S. Frings and Roger L. Funk. Evanston: Northwestern University Press.
- _____. 1970. The Nature of Sympathy, trans. by Peter Heath, London: Routledge & Kegan Paul Ltd.
- _____. 1994. Resentment. Trans. by William W. Holdheim. Milwaukee, WI: Marquette University Press.
- Strawson, Peter. 1974. Freedom and Resentment. London: Methuen.
- Wang, Yangming 王陽明. 1992. Records of Instructions 傳習錄, in Collected Works of Wang Yangming 王阳明全集. Shanghai 上海: Shanghai Guji Chubanshe 上海古籍出版社
- Xu, Shen 許慎. 1963. Shuo Wen Jie Zi 說文解字. Beijing 北京: Zhonghua Shuju 中華書局.
- Yeh, Chia-ying 葉嘉瑩. 2008. Jialin Lun Ci Conggao 迦陵論詞叢稿. Beijing 北京: Beijing Daxue Chubanshe 北京大學出版社.
- Virtue Ethics and Being Morally Moved
Volume 9, Issue 3 , pp 309-321
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Being morally moved
- Moral feeling
- Virtue Ethics
- Qingjie Wang (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Philosophy, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, NT, Hong Kong