Confucian Views on War as Seen in the Gongyang Commentary on the Spring and Autumn Annals
- Kam-por Yu
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This essay explores Confucian views on war as seen in the Spring and Autumn Annals. The interpretation is based mainly on the Gongyang Zhuan, supplemented by other authoritative sources in the Gongyang tradition, such as Dong Zhongshu (179-104 BCE) and He Xiu (129-182). The Spring and Autumn Annals contains three components: facts, words, and principles. This essay explicates the principles for going to war and the principles for conducting a war. The Confucian perspective sheds light on war against enemies of civilization, conditions for waging a preemptive war, punitive expedition, as well as the use of weapons of mass destruction. The Confucian views as presented here are realistic and pragmatic in nature but are also compatible with the humanistic concern of Confucianism. This essay ends with a summary of the salient and sophisticated features of the Confucian views on war.
- The Analects. Lau D. C., tr. 1992. Hong Kong: The Chinese University Press.
- Ban, Gu 班固. 1962. 漢書 Hanshu (History of Han Dynasty). Beijing 北京: Zhonghua Shuju 中華書局.
- Bell, Daniel. 2008. “War, Peace, and China’s Soft Power.” In Daniel Bell, China’s New Confucianism. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- Ching, Julia. 2004. “Confucianism and Weapons of Mass Destruction.” In Ethics and Weapons of Mass Destruction. Ed. by Sohail H. Hashmi and Steven P. Lee. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Fan, Ye 范曄. 1965. Hou Han Shu 後漢書 (History of Later Han Dynasty). Beijing 北京: Zhonghua Shuju 中華書局.
- He, Xiu 何休. c. 1930 (1927-1936). He’s Commentary on the Spring and Autumn Annals 春秋公羊傳何氏解詁 (Sibu Beiyao 四部備要 series). Shanghai 上海: Zhonghua Shuju 中華書局.
- Ivanhoe, P. J. 2004. “‘Heaven’s Mandate’ and the Concept of War in Early Confucianism.” In Ethics and Weapons of Mass Destruction. Ed. by Sohail H Hashmi and Steve P. Lee. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Jiang, Qing 蔣慶. 1995. Introduction to the Gongyang Tradition 公羊學引論. Shenyang 沈陽: Liaoning Jiaoyu Chubanshe 遼寧教育出版社.
- Legge, James, tr. 1885. Li Chi: Book of Rites. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
- Li, Xueqin 李學勤 et al. eds. 2000. Annotations on the Gongyang Commentary of the Spring and Autumn Annals 春秋公羊傳注疏. Beijing 北京: Beijing Daxue Chubanshe 北京大學出版社.
- Lin, Yutang. 1966. The Wisdom of Confucius. New York: Random House.
- Mencius. Lau, D. C., tr. 1984. Hong Kong: The Chinese University Press.
- Qian, Mu 錢穆. 1971. “Confucius and the Spring and Autumn Annals 孔子與春秋.” In his On the Hermeneutics of the Ancinent Text School and Contemporary Text School of the Two Han Dynastises 兩漢經學今古文平議. Taibei 臺北: Dongda Tushu Gongsi 東大圖書公司.
- Queen, Sarah A. 1996. From Chronicle to Canon: The Hermeneutics of the Spring and Autumn: According to Tung Chung-shu. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Sima, Qian 司馬遷. 1969. Records of the Grand Historian 史記. Hong Kong: Zhonghua Shuju 中華書局.
- Su, Yu 蘇輿. 1992. Annotations on Chunqiu Fanlu 春秋繁露義證. Beijing 北京: Zhonghua Shuju 中華書局.
- Sun, Changwu 孫昌武. 1996. Selected Works of H an Yu 韓愈選集. Shanghai 上海: Shanghai Guji Chubanshe 上海古籍出版社.
- Hihara,Toshikuni 日原利囯. 1985. “On Revenge 復讐論.” In Japanese Scholars on History of Chinese Philosophy 日本學者論中國哲學. Ed. by Xin Guanjie 辛冠潔 et al. Beijing 北京: Zhonghua Shuju 中華書局.
- Wang, Weiti 王維堤, and Tang Shuwen 唐書文. 1997. Translation and Annotations on the Gongyang Commentary on the Spring and Autumn Annals 春秋公羊傳譯注. Shanghai 上海: Shanghai Guji Chubanshe 上海古籍出版社.
- Wang, Wenjin 王文錦. 2001. Translation and Annotations on the Book of Rites 禮記譯解. Beijing 北京: Zhonghua Shuju 中華書局.
- Watson, Burton. 1974. Courtier and Commoner in Ancient China: Selections from the History of Former Han by P an Ku. New York: Columbia University Press.
- Yan, Li 閻麗. 2003. Translation and Annotations on D ong Zhongshu’s Chunqiu Fanlu 董子春秋繁露譯註. Harbin 哈爾濱: Heilongjiang Renmin Chubanshe 黑龍江人民出版社.
- Yang, Shuda 楊樹達. 2007. On the Great Principles of the Spring and Autumn Annals 春秋大義述. Shanghai 上海: Shanghai Guji Chubanshe 上海古籍出版社.
- Confucian Views on War as Seen in the Gongyang Commentary on the Spring and Autumn Annals
Volume 9, Issue 1 , pp 97-111
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Spring and Autumn Annals
- Gongyang Zhuan
- War and peace
- Just war theory
- Kam-por Yu (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. General Education Centre, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, Kowloon, Hong Kong