Musical Naturalism in the Thought of JI Kang
- Chai David
- … show all 1 hide
Wei-Jin period is characterized by neo-Daoism (xuanxue 玄學), and JI Kang lived in the midst of this philosophical exploration. Adopting the naturalism of the Zhuangzi, Ji Kang expressed his socio-political concerns through the medium of music, which was previously regarded as having moral bearing and rectitude. Denying such rectitude became central for Ji Kang, who claimed that music was incapable of possessing human emotion, releasing it from the chains of Confucian ritualism. His investigation into the name and reality of musical expression gave music an “aesthetic turn” lacking in Qin and early Han thought, and by making use of concepts such as natural harmony and spontaneity, Ji Kang was able to turn away from the negative aesthetics of earlier thinkers such as He Yan and Wang Bi to one cherishing the naturalism espoused by Zhuangzi.
- Dai, Mingyang 戴明揚. 1962. Collected Annotations and Commentaries on J i Kang 嵇康集校注. Beijing 北京: Renmin Wenxue Chuban She 人民文學出版社.
- Egan, R (1997) The Controversy over Music and ‘Sadness’ and Changing Conceptions of the Qin in Middle Period China. Harvard Journal of Asiatic Studies 57: pp. 5-66 CrossRef
- Guo, Qingfan 郭慶藩. 1990. Collected Explanations on the Zhuangzi 莊子集釋. Beijing 北京: Zhonghua Shuju 中華書局.
- Henricks, R (1983) Philosophy and Argumentation in Third-Century China: The Essays of J i Kang. Princeton University Press, Princeton
- Langer, S (1953) Feeling and Form: A Theory of Art. Charles Scribner’s Sons, New York
- Legge, James, trans. 1994. The Book of Poetry. Vol. 4 of The Chinese Classics. Taibei: SMC Publishing Inc.
- Liji Zhengyi 禮記正義. 1999. Beijing北京: Beijing Daxue Chubanshe 北京大學出版社.
- Wu, Guanhong 吳冠宏. 2006. New Investigations into Discussions on Wei-Jin Profound Meaning and Sound 魏晉玄義與聲論新探. Taibei 臺北: Liren Shuju 里仁書局.
- Xu, Jialu 許嘉璐, and An Pingqiu 安平秋, eds. 2004. “Biography of JI Kang 嵇康傳.” In History of the Jin 晉書. Vol. 1 of Complete Interpretations of the Twenty-four Histories 二十四史全譯. Shanghai 上海: Hanyu Da Cidian Chubanshe 漢語大詞典出版社.
- Xu, Zhenleng 徐震塄. 1991. Collated Annotations to New Accounts of Tales of the World 世說新語校箋. Beijing 北京: Zhonghua Shuju 中華書局.
- Zhang, Huihui 張蕙慧. 1997. Research into J i Kang’s Musical Aesthetic Thought 嵇康音樂美學思想探究. Taibei 臺北: Wenjin Chubanshe 文津出版社.
- Musical Naturalism in the Thought of JI Kang
Volume 8, Issue 2 , pp 151-171
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Ji Kang
- Musical aesthetics
- Chai David (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of East Asian Studies, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada