Nutrient Deficiencies Before and After Sleeve Gastrectomy
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Obesity is associated with nutritional deficiencies. Bariatric surgery could worsen these deficiencies. Fewer nutritional deficiencies would be seen after sleeve gastrectomy compared to the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, but sleeve gastrectomy would also cause further deterioration of the deficiencies. The aim of this study was to determine the amount of pre-operative nutrient deficiencies in sleeve gastrectomy patients and assess the evolution of the nutritional status during the first post-operative year.
Four hundred seven sleeve gastrectomy patients were assigned to a standardized follow-up program. Data of interest were weight loss, pre-operative nutrient status and evolution of nutrient deficiencies during the first post-operative year. Deficiencies were supplemented when found.
Two hundred patients completed blood withdrawal pre-operatively and in the first post-operative year. pre-operatively, 5 % of the patients were anemic, 7 % had low serum ferritin and 24 % had low folic acid. Hypovitaminosis D was present in 81 %. Vitamin A had excessive levels in 72 %. One year post-operatively, mean excess weight loss was 70 %. Anemia was found in 6 %. Low-ferritin levels were found in 8 % of the patients. Folate deficiency decreased significantly and hypovitaminosis D was still found in 36 %.
In this study, a considerable amount of patients suffered from a deficient micronutrient status pre-operatively. One year after surgery, micronutrient deficiencies persisted or were found de novo in a considerable amount of patients, despite significant weight loss and supplementation. Significant reductions were seen only for folate and vitamin D.
- Aasheim ET, Hofso D, Hjelmesaeth J, et al. Vitamin status in morbidly obese patients: a cross-sectional study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2008;87:362–9.
- Boza C, Salinas J, Salgado N, et al. Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy as a stand-alone procedure for morbid obesity: report of 1,000 cases and 3-year follow-up. Obes Surg. 2012;22:866–71. CrossRef
- Brethauer SA, Hammel JP, Schauer PR. Systematic review of sleeve gastrectomy as staging and primary bariatric procedure. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2009;5:469–75. CrossRef
- Deitel M, Gagner M, Erickson AL, et al. Third international summit: current status of sleeve gastrectomy. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2011;7:749–59. CrossRef
- Shi X, Karmali S, Sharma AM, et al. A review of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy for morbid obesity. Obes Surg. 2010;20:1171–7. CrossRef
- Ernst B, Thurnheer M, Schmid SM, et al. Evidence for the necessity to systematically assess micronutrient status prior to bariatric surgery. Obes Surg. 2009;19:66–73. CrossRef
- Kaidar-Person O, Person B, Szomstein S, et al. Nutritional deficiencies in morbidly obese patients: a new form of malnutrition? Part A: vitamins. Obes Surg. 2008;18:870–6. CrossRef
- Kaidar-Person O, Person B, Szomstein S, et al. Nutritional deficiencies in morbidly obese patients: a new form of malnutrition? Part B: minerals. Obes Surg. 2008;18:1028–34. CrossRef
- Damms-Machado A, Friedrich A, Kramer KM, et al. Pre- and postoperative nutritional deficiencies in obese patients undergoing laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy. Obes Surg. 2012;22:881–9. CrossRef
- Schweiger C, Weiss R, Berry E, et al. Nutritional deficiencies in bariatric surgery candidates. Obes Surg. 2010;20:193–7. CrossRef
- Davies DJ, Baxter JM, Baxter JN. Nutritional deficiencies after bariatric surgery. Obes Surg. 2007;17:1150–8. CrossRef
- Malinowski SS. Nutritional and metabolic complications of bariatric surgery. Am J Med Sci. 2006;331:219–25. CrossRef
- Toh SY, Zarshenas N, Jorgensen J. Prevalence of nutrient deficiencies in bariatric patients. Nutrition. 2009;25:1150–6. CrossRef
- Gehrer S, Kern B, Peters T, et al. Fewer nutrient deficiencies after laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy (LSG) than after laparoscopic Roux-Y-gastric bypass (LRYGB)-a prospective study. Obes Surg. 2010;20:447–53. CrossRef
- Aarts EO, Janssen IM, Berends FJ. The gastric sleeve: losing weight as fast as micronutrients? Obes Surg. 2011;21:207–11. CrossRef
- Pech N, Meyer F, Lippert H, et al. Complications, reoperations, and nutrient deficiencies two years after sleeve gastrectomy. J Obes. 2012;2012:828737. CrossRef
- Ruiz-Tovar J, Oller I, Tomas A, et al. Mid-term effects of sleeve gastrectomy on calcium metabolism parameters, vitamin D and parathormone (PTH) in morbid obese women. Obes Surg. 2012;22:797–801. CrossRef
- Chiu S, Birch DW, Shi X, et al. Effect of sleeve gastrectomy on gastroesophageal reflux disease: a systematic review. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2011;7:510–5. CrossRef
- Aarts EO, van Wageningen B, Janssen IM, et al. Prevalence of anemia and related deficiencies in the first year following laparoscopic gastric bypass for morbid obesity. J Obes. 2012;2012:193705. doi:10.1155/2012/193705. CrossRef
- Flancbaum L, Belsley S, Drake V, et al. Preoperative nutritional status of patients undergoing Roux-en-Y gastric bypass for morbid obesity. J Gastrointest Surg. 2006;10:1033–7. CrossRef
- Muñoz M, Botella-Romero F, Gómez-Ramírez S, et al. Iron deficiency and anaemia in bariatric surgical patients: causes, diagnosis and prope management. Nutr Hosp. 2009;24(6):640–54.
- von Drygalski A, Andris DA, Nuttleman PR, et al. Anemia after bariatric surgery cannot be explained by iron deficiency alone: results of a large cohort study. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2011;7(2):151–6. doi:10.1016/j.soard.2010.04.008. CrossRef
- Vargas-Ruiz AG, Hernandez-Rivera G, Herrera MF. Prevalence of iron, folate, and vitamin B12 deficiency anemia after laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Obes Surg. 2008;18:288–93. CrossRef
- Ten Broeke R, Bravenboer B, Smulders FJ. Iron deficiency before and after bariatric surgery: the need for iron supplementation. Neth J Med. 2013;71(8):412–7.
- Hakeam HA, O'Regan PJ, Salem AM, et al. Impact of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy on iron indices: 1 year follow-up. Obes Surg. 2009;19:1491–6. CrossRef
- Mittinty MN, Golley RK, Smithers LG, et al. A preference based measure of complementary feeding quality: application to the avon longitudinal study of parents and children. PLoS One. 2013;8(10):e76111. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0076111. CrossRef
- Carlin AM, Rao DS, Yager KM, et al. Effect of gastric bypass surgery on vitamin D nutritional status. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2006;2:638–42. CrossRef
- Ybarra J, Sanchez-Hernandez J, Gich I, et al. Unchanged hypovitaminosis D and secondary hyperparathyroidism in morbid obesity after bariatric surgery. Obes Surg. 2005;15:330–5. CrossRef
- Ybarra J, Sanchez-Hernandez J, Perez A. Hypovitaminosis D and morbid obesity. Nurs Clin N Am. 2007;42:19–27. CrossRef
- Blum M, Dolnikowski G, Seyoum E, et al. Vitamin D(3) in fat tissue. Endocrine. 2008;33:90–4. CrossRef
- Holick MF. Vitamin D, deficiency. N Engl J Med. 2007;357:266–81. CrossRef
- Grune T, Lietz G, Palou A, et al. Beta-carotene is an important vitamin A source for humans. J Nutr. 2010;140(12):2268S–85S. doi:10.3945/jn.109.119024. CrossRef
- Carrodeguas L, Kaidar-Person O, Szomstein S, et al. Preoperative thiamine deficiency in obese population undergoing laparoscopic bariatric surgery. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2005;1:517–22. CrossRef
- Mason ME, Jalagani H, Vinik AI. Metabolic complications of bariatric surgery: diagnosis and management issues. Gastroenterol Clin N Am. 2005;34:25–33. CrossRef
- Singh S, Kumar A. Wernicke encephalopathy after obesity surgery: a systematic review. Neurology. 2007;68:807–11. CrossRef
- Allen LH. Causes of vitamin B12 and folate deficiency. Food Nutr Bull. 2008;29:S20–34.
- Madan AK, Orth WS, Tichansky DS, et al. Vitamin and trace mineral levels after laparoscopic gastric bypass. Obes Surg. 2006;16:603–6. CrossRef
- Barbagallo M, Dominguez LJ, Resnick LM. Magnesium metabolism in hypertension and type 2 diabetes mellitus. Am J Ther. 2007;14:375–85. CrossRef
- Barbagallo M, Dominguez LJ. Magnesium metabolism in type 2 diabetes mellitus, metabolic syndrome and insulin resistance. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2007;458:40–7. CrossRef
- Nutrient Deficiencies Before and After Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Sleeve gastrectomy
- Vitamin D
- Bariatric surgery
- Micronutrient deficiency
- Industry Sectors