Bariatric Surgery Outcomes in a European Centre of Excellence (CoE)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Bariatric Surgery Centres of Excellence have been promoted by the International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders European Chapter to improve outcomes and security of patients. A retrospective analysis of our prospective database has been performed. Between May 2001 and September 2012, we operated on 690 patients, first with open gastric bypass (2001–2005), then laparoscopy (2006–2009), introduced robotics and finally the Centre of Excellence period (2012). Complication rate was 18.9 % in the first period and 3 % in the last. We reoperated on 9 % of patients in two early periods and none in the last. Mortality rate was 2, 0.85, 0.47 and 0 % in the four periods. Teams that are just at the beginning of their experience in bariatric surgery in order to avoid complications and deal with better long-term results.
- James PT. The epidemiology of obesity: the size of the problem. J Intern Med. 2008;263:336–52. CrossRef
- Adams KF, Schatzkin A, Harris TB, et al. Overweight, obesity, and mortality in a large prospective cohort of persons 50 to 71 years old. N Engl J Med. 2006;355:763–78. CrossRef
- Trogdon JG, Finkelstein EA, Hylands T, et al. Indirect costs of obesity: a review of the current literature. Obes Rev. 2008;9:489–500. CrossRef
- Neira M, de Onis M. The Spanish strategy for nutrition, physical activity and the prevention of obesity. Br J Nutr. 2006;96 Suppl 1:S8–S11. CrossRef
- Buchwald H, Oien DM. Metabolic/bariatric surgery worldwide 2008. Obes Surg. 2009;19:1605–11. CrossRef
- Flum DR, Dellinger EP. Impact of gastric bypass operation on survival: a population-based analysis. J Am Coll Surg. 2004;199:543–51. CrossRef
- Buchwald H, Avidor Y, Braunwald E, et al. Bariatric surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA. 2004;92:1724–37. CrossRef
- No authors listed. Gastrointestinal surgery for severe obesity: National Institutes of Health Conference Statement. Am J Clin Nutr. 1992;55:615S–9S.
- Sánchez-Pernaute A, Herrera MA, Pérez-Aguirre ME, et al. Single anastomosis duodeno-ileal bypass with sleeve gastrectomy (SADI’S). One to 3 year follow-up. Obes Surg. 2010;20:1720–6. CrossRef
- Centres for Medicaid and Medicare Services Bariatric Surgery National Coverage Determination. http:77www.cms.hhs.gov/manuals/downloads/ncd103c1_Part2.pdf. Accessed 26 Dec 2007.
- Lecube A, Fort JM, Baena JA, et al. Initial experience with 150 consecutive gastric bypass: an approach to the learning curve of bariatric procedures. Obes Metab. 2007;3:175–82.
- Vilallonga R, Rius J, Fort JM, et al. Single port access sleeve gastrectomy: is it reasonable? J Minim Access Surg. 2011;7:156–7. CrossRef
- Vilallonga R, Fort JM, Gonzalez O, et al. The initial learning curve for robot-assisted sleeve gastrectomy: a surgeon’s experience while introducing the robotic technology in a bariatric surgery department. Minim Invasive Surg. 2012;2012:347131. doi:10.1155/2012/347131.
- Patti MG, Corvera CU, Glasgow RE, et al. A hospital’s annual rate of esophagectomy influences the operative mortality rate. J Gastrointest Surg. 1998;2:186–92. CrossRef
- Finlayson EV, Goodney PP, Birkmeyer JD. Hospital volume and operative mortality in cancer surgery: a national study. Arch Surg. 2003;138:721–5. CrossRef
- Livingston EH. Bariatric surgery outcomes at designated centers of excellence vs nondesignated programs. Arch Surg. 2009;144:319–25. CrossRef
- Liu JH, Zingmond D, Etzioni DA, et al. Characterizing the performance and outcomes of obesity surgery in California. Ann Surg. 2003;69:823–8.
- Nguyen NT, Paya M, Stevens CM, et al. The relationship between hospital volume and outcome in bariatric surgery at academic medical centres. Ann Surg. 2004;240:586–93.
- Ciudin A, Baena-Fustegueras JA, Fort JM, et al. Successful treatment for the Dunnigan-type familial partial lipodystrophy with Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2011;75(3):403–4. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2265.2011.04057.x. CrossRef
- Lecube A, Vilallonga R, Sturniolo G, et al. Renaissance of acromegaly after bariatric surgery. Endocr. 2013;43(1):239–41. CrossRef
- Vilallonga R, Yeste D, Lecube A, et al. A bariatric surgery programme in adolescents. Preliminary results. Cir Esp. 2012. doi:10.1016/j.ciresp.2012.06.003.
- Livingston EH. Procedure, incidence and in-hospital complication rates of bariatric surgery in the United States. Am J Surg. 2004;188(2):105–10. CrossRef
- Livingston E, Huerta S, Arthur D, et al. Male gender is a predictor of morbidity and age a predictor of mortality for patients undergoing gastric bypass surgery. Ann Surg. 2002;236:576–82. CrossRef
- Fernandez AZ, Demaria EJ, Tichansky DS, et al. Multivariate analysis of risk factors for death following gastric bypass for treatment of morbid obesity. Ann Surg. 2004;239:698–703. CrossRef
- Fernandez Jr AZ, DeMaria EJ, Tichansky DS, et al. Experience with over 3,000 open and laparoscopic bariatric procedures: multivariate analysis of factors related to leak and resultant mortality. Surg Endosc. 2004;18:193–7. CrossRef
- Maggard MA, Shugarman LR, Suttorp M, et al. Meta-analysis: surgical treatment of obesity. Ann Intern Med. 2005;142:547–59. CrossRef
- Benotti PN, Wood GC, Rodriguez H, et al. Perioperative outcomes and risk factors in gastric surgery for morbid obesity: a 9-year experience. Surgery. 2006;139:340–6. CrossRef
- Wittgrove A, Clark W. Laparoscoic gastric bypass, roux-en-Y: 500 patients: technique and results, with a 3–60 month follow-up. Obes Surg. 2000;10:233–9. CrossRef
- Biertho L, Steffen R, Ricklin T, et al. Laparoscopic gastric bypass versus laparoscopic gastric banding: a comparative study of 1200 cases. J Am Coll Surg. 2003;197:536–47. CrossRef
- Nguyen NT, Goldman C, Rosenquist CJ, et al. Laparoscopic versus open gastric bypass: a randomised study of outcomes, quality of life, and costs. Ann Surg. 2001;234:279–91. CrossRef
- Jamal MK, DeMaria EJ, Johnson JM, et al. Impact of major co-morbidities on mortality and complications after gastric bypass. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2005;1:73–6. CrossRef
- Vilallonga R, Fort JM, Gonzalez O, et al. The initial learning curve for robot-assisted sleeve gastrectomy: a surgeon’s experience while introducing the robotic technology in a bariatric surgery department. Min Invasive Surg. 2012;2012(347131), 5 pages doi:10.1155/2012/347131
- Bariatric Surgery Outcomes in a European Centre of Excellence (CoE)
Volume 23, Issue 8 , pp 1324-1332
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Centre of Excellence
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Endocrine, Metabolic and Bariatric Unit, General Surgery Department, Hospital Universitari de la Vall d’Hebron, Center of Excellence for the EAC-BC, Passeig de la Vall d’Hebron, 119-129, 08035, Barcelona, Spain
- 2. Obesity Unit, Endocrinology Department, Hospital Universitari de la Vall d’Hebron, Center of Excellence for the EAC-BC, Passeig de la Vall d’Hebron, 119-129, 08035, Barcelona, Spain