Pharmacotherapy Prevention and Management of Nutritional Deficiencies Post Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Roux-en-Y gastric bypass is the most commonly performed bariatric procedure. It is associated with nutritional deficiencies due to gastric reduction, intestinal bypass, reduced caloric intake, avoidance of nutrient-rich foods, noncompliance with supplementation and poor food tolerability. Although there are multiple publications on this topic, there is a lack of consistent guidance for the healthcare practitioner caring for the bariatric patient. This article will encompass literature reviewing the pharmacotherapy approach to prevention and management of nutritional deficiencies since the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery guidelines were published in 2008.
- Mechanick JI, Kushner RF, Sugerman HJ, et al. American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, The Obesity Society, and American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Medical Guidelines for Clinical Practice for the perioperative nutritional, metabolic, and nonsurgical support of the bariatric surgery patient. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2008;4(5 Suppl):S109–84. CrossRef
- Brethauer SA, Chand B, Schauer PR. Risks and benefits of bariatric surgery: current evidence. Cleve Clin J Med. 2006;73(11):993–1007. CrossRef
- Buchwald H, Avidor Y, Braunwald E, et al. Bariatric surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA. 2004;292(14):1724–37. CrossRef
- Clinical Guidelines on the Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults—The Evidence Report. National Institutes of Health. Obesity Research. 1998;6 Suppl 2:51S–209S.
- Dewey M, Heuberger R. Vitamin D and calcium status and appropriate recommendations in bariatric surgery patients. Gastroenterol Nurs. 2011;34(5):367–74. CrossRef
- Bordalo LA, Teixeira TF, Bressan J, et al. Bariatric surgery: how and why to supplement. Rev Assoc Med Bras. 2011;57(1):113–20. CrossRef
- Strohmayer E, Via MA, Yanagisawa R. Metabolic management following bariatric surgery. Mt Sinai J Med. 2010;77(5):431–45. CrossRef
- Agha-Mohammadi S, Hurwitz DJ. Nutritional deficiency of post-bariatric surgery body contouring patients: what every plastic surgeon should know. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2008;122(2):604–13. CrossRef
- Fernandez-Banares F, Monzon H, Forne M. A short review of malabsorption and anemia. World J Gastroenterol. 2009;15(37):4644–52. CrossRef
- Gletsu-Miller N, Broderius M, Frediani JK, et al. Incidence and prevalence of copper deficiency following roux-en-y gastric bypass surgery. Int J Obes. 2012;36(3):328–35. CrossRef
- Avgerinos DV, Llaguna OH, Seigerman M, et al. Incidence and risk factors for the development of anemia following gastric bypass surgery. World J Gastroenterol. 2010;16(15):1867–70. CrossRef
- Bloomberg RD, Fleishman A, Nalle JE, et al. Nutritional deficiencies following bariatric surgery: what have we learned? Obes Surg. 2005;15(2):145–54. CrossRef
- Heber D, Greenway FL, Kaplan LM, et al. Endocrine and nutritional management of the post-bariatric surgery patient: an Endocrine Society Clinical Practice Guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010;95(11):4823–43. CrossRef
- Aills L, Blankenship J, Buffington C, et al. ASMBS Allied Health Nutritional Guidelines for the surgical weight loss patient. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2008;4(5 Suppl):S73–108. CrossRef
- Williams SE. Metabolic bone disease in the bariatric surgery patient. J Obes. 2011;2011:634614.
- Fujioka K. Follow-up of nutritional and metabolic problems after bariatric surgery. Diabetes Care. 2005;28(2):481–4. CrossRef
- Vieira C, Cosmo C, Lucena R. The importance of methylmalonic acid dosage on the assessment of patients with neurological manifestations following bariatric surgery. Obes Surg. 2011;21(12):1971–4. CrossRef
- Vargas-Ruiz AG, Hernandez-Rivera G, Herrera MF. Prevalence of iron, folate, and vitamin B12 deficiency anemia after laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Obes Surg. 2008;18(3):288–93. CrossRef
- Carmel R, Agrawal YP. Failures of cobalamin assays in pernicious anemia. N Engl J Med. 2012;367:385–6. CrossRef
- Oh RC, Brown DL. Vitamin B12 deficiency. Am Fam Physician. 2003;67(5):979–86.
- Langan RC, Zawistoski KJ. Update on vitamin B12 deficiency. Am Fam Physician. 2011;83(12):1425–30.
- Sharabi A, Cohen E, Sulkes J, et al. Replacement therapy for vitamin B12 deficiency: comparison between the sublingual and oral route. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2003;56(6):635–8. CrossRef
- Shankar P, Boylan M, Sriram K. Micronutrient deficiencies after bariatric surgery. Nutrition. 2010;26(11–12):1031–7. CrossRef
- Koch TR, Finelli FC. Postoperative metabolic and nutritional complications of bariatric surgery. Gastroenterol Clin North Am. 2010;39(1):109–24. CrossRef
- Rudnicki SA. Prevention and treatment of peripheral neuropathy after bariatric surgery. Curr Treat Options Neurol. 2010;12(1):29–36. CrossRef
- von Drygalski A, Andris DA. Anemia after bariatric surgery: more than just iron deficiency. Nutr Clin Pract. 2009;24(2):217–26. CrossRef
- Coupaye M, Puchaux K, Bogard C, et al. Nutritional consequences of adjustable gastric banding and gastric bypass: a 1-year prospective study. Obes Surg. 2009;19(1):56–65. CrossRef
- Nomura RM, Dias MC, Igai AM, et al. Anemia during pregnancy after silastic ring Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: influence of time to conception. Obes Surg. 2011;21(4):479–84. CrossRef
- Walker J, Kepner A. Wernicke’s encephalopathy presenting as acute psychosis after gastric bypass. J Emerg Med. 2012;43(5):811–4. CrossRef
- Sechi G, Serra A. Wernicke’s encephalopathy: new clinical settings and recent advances in diagnosis and management. Lancet Neurol. 2007;6(5):442–55. CrossRef
- Goldner WS, Stoner JA, Lyden E, et al. Finding the optimal dose of vitamin D following Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: a prospective, randomized pilot clinical trial. Obes Surg. 2009;19(2):173–9. CrossRef
- Fish E, Beverstein G, Olson D, et al. Vitamin D status of morbidly obese bariatric surgery patients. J Surg Res. 2010;164:198–202. CrossRef
- Compston JE, Vedi S, Ledger JE, et al. Vitamin D status and bone histomorphometry in gross obesity. Am J Clin Nutr. 1981;34(11):2359–63.
- Carlin AM, Rao DS, Meslemani AM, et al. Prevalence of vitamin D depletion among morbidly obese patients seeking gastric bypass surgery. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2006;2(2):98–103. CrossRef
- Minambres I, Chico A, Perez A. Severe hypocalcemia due to vitamin D deficiency after extended Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. J Obes. 2011;2011:141024.
- Carlin AM, Rao DS, Yager KM, et al. Treatment of vitamin D depletion after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: a randomized prospective clinical trial. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2009;5(4):444–9. CrossRef
- Bacci V, Silecchia G. Vitamin D status and supplementation in morbid obesity before and after bariatric surgery. Expert Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2010;4(6):781–94. CrossRef
- Mahlay NF, Verka LG, Thomsen K, et al. Vitamin D status before Roux-en-Y and efficacy of prophylactic and therapeutic doses of vitamin D in patients after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery. Obes Surg. 2009;19(5):590–4. CrossRef
- Holick MF, Biancuzzo RM, Chen TC, et al. Vitamin D2 is as effective as vitamin D3 in maintaining circulating concentrations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008;93(3):677–81. CrossRef
- Clements RH, Katasani VG, Palepu R, et al. Incidence of vitamin deficiency after laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass in a university hospital setting. Am Surg. 2006;72(12):1196–202.
- Eckert MJ, Perry JT, Sohn VY, et al. Incidence of low vitamin A levels and ocular symptoms after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2010;6(6):653–7. CrossRef
- Zalesin KC, Miller WM, Franklin BI, et al. Vitamin A deficiency after gastric bypass surgery: an underreported postoperative complication. Journal of Obesity. 2011. (2011): Article ID 760695, 4 page.
- Brolin RE, Leung M. Survey of vitamin and mineral supplementation after gastric bypass and biliopancreatic diversion for morbid obesity. Obes Surg. 1999;9(2):150–4. CrossRef
- Pereira S, Saboya C, Chaves G, et al. Class III obesity and its relationship with the nutritional status of vitamin A in pre- and postoperative gastric bypass. Obes Surg. 2009;19(6):738–44. CrossRef
- Madan AK, Orth WS, Tichansky DS, et al. Vitamin and trace mineral levels after laproscopic gastric bypass. Obes Surg. 2006;16:603–6. CrossRef
- Salle A, Demarsy D, Poirier AL, et al. Zinc deficiency: a frequent and underestimated complication after bariatric surgery. Obes Surg. 2010;20(12):1660–70. CrossRef
- Ruz M, Carrasco F, Rojas P, et al. Zinc absorption and zinc status are reduced after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: a randomized study using 2 supplements. Am J Clin Nutr. 2011;94(4):1004–11. CrossRef
- Xanthakos SA. Nutritional deficiencies in obesity and after bariatric surgery. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2009;56(5):1105–21. CrossRef
- Gasteyger C, Suter M, Gaillard RC, et al. Nutritional deficiencies after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass for morbid obesity often cannot be prevented by standard multivitamin supplementation. Am J Clin Nutr. 2008;87(5):1128–33.
- Wu J, Ricker M, Muench J. Copper deficiency as cause of unexplained hematologic and neurologic deficits in patient with prior gastrointestinal surgery. J Am Board Fam Med. 2006;19(2):191–4. CrossRef
- Kumar N, McEvoy KM, Ahlskog JE. Myelopathy due to copper deficiency following gastrointestinal surgery. Arch Neurol. 2003;60(12):1782–5. CrossRef
- Griffith DP, Liff DA, Ziegler TR, et al. Acquired copper deficiency: a potentially serious and preventable complication following gastric bypass surgery. Obesity. 2009;17(4):827–31. CrossRef
- Pineles SL, Wilson CA, Balcer LJ, et al. Combined optic neuropathy and myelopathy secondary to copper deficiency. Surv Ophthalmol. 2010;55(4):386–92. CrossRef
- Matrana MR, Davis WE. Vitamin deficiency after gastric bypass surgery: a review. South Med J. 2009;102(10):1025–31. CrossRef
- Tan JC, Burns DL, Jones HR. Severe ataxia, myelopathy, and peripheral neuropathy due to acquired copper deficiency in a patient with history of gastrectomy. J Parenter Enter Nutr. 2006;30(5):446–50. CrossRef
- Faure A, Mathon L, Poupelin JC, et al. Acute cupric sulfate intoxication: pathophysiology and therapy about a case report. Ann Fr Anesth Reanim. 2003;22(6):557–9. CrossRef
- Pharmacotherapy Prevention and Management of Nutritional Deficiencies Post Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass
Volume 23, Issue 7 , pp 992-1000
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Bariatric surgery
- Morbid obesity
- Roux-en-Y gastric bypass
- Trace mineral
- Industry Sectors