Ethnic Minorities Have Equal Access to Bariatric Surgery in the UK and Ireland
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Under-representation of ethnic minority groups in bariatric surgery rates has been reported in the USA. Ethnic minorities form 7.9 % of the UK population, but comparable data on provision of bariatric surgery for these groups have not previously been reported in the UK. We calculated an estimate of rates of bariatric surgery amongst ethnic groups in the UK and Ireland using data from the National Bariatric Surgery Registry and census data from the UK and Ireland. The number of procedures recorded per 1,000 morbidly obese patients was 5.2 for Caucasian patients, 5.2 for Asian patients and 5.2 for Black patients. The identical rates across different ethnic groups suggest that bariatric services are provided equitably in the UK, with ethnic minority groups achieving equal access.
- Pickett-Blakely, OE, Huizinga, MM, Clark, JM (2012) Sociodemographic trends in bariatric surgery utilization in the USA. Obes Surg 22: pp. 838-842 CrossRef
- Wallace, AE, Young-Xu, Y, Hartley, D (2010) Racial, socioeconomic and rural–urban disparities in obesity-related bariatric surgery. Obes Surg 20: pp. 1354-1360 CrossRef
- Martin, M, Beekley, A, Kjorstad, R (2010) Socioeconomic disparities in eligibility and access to bariatric surgery: a national population-based analysis. Surg Obes Relat Dis 6: pp. 8-15 CrossRef
- Birkmeyer, NJO, Gu, N (2012) Race, Socioeconomic status, and the use of bariatric surgery in Michigan. Obes Surg 22: pp. 259-265 CrossRef
- Office for National Statistics. Focus on ethnicity and identity. Office for National Statistics 2005, London UK.
- Welbourn, R, Fiennes, A, Kinsman, R (2010) National Bariatric Surgery Registry: first registry report to March 2010. Dendrite Clinical Systems Ltd, Oxfordshire, UK
- Central Statistics Office. http://www.cso.ie/px/pxeirestat/Statire/SelectVarVal/saveselections.asp Central Statistics Office 2012, Cork, Ireland. Accessed 25 November 2012.
- NHS Health and Social Care Information Centre. The health survey for England 2004: the health of ethnic minority groups—headline tables. NHS Health and Social Care Information Centre 2005, Office for National Statistics, London UK.
- Ethnic Minorities Have Equal Access to Bariatric Surgery in the UK and Ireland
Volume 23, Issue 5 , pp 727-729
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Bariatric surgery
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of General Surgery, Cheltenham General Hospital, Sandford Road, Cheltenham, GL53 7AN, UK
- 2. Department of General & Bariatric Surgery, Southmead Hospital, Bristol, BS10 5NB, UK