Rapid Weight Loss Is Associated with Preoperative Hypovolemia in Morbidly Obese Patients
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In morbidly obese patients (MO), adequate levels of venous return (VR) and left ventricular filling pressures (LVFP) are crucial in order to augment perioperative safety. Rapid weight loss (RWL) preparation with very low calorie diet is commonly used aiming to facilitate bariatric surgery. However, the impact of RWL on VR and LVFP is poorly studied.
In this prospective, controlled, single-center study, we hypothesized that RWL-prepared MO prior to bariatric surgery can be hypovolemic (i.e., low VR) and compared MO to lean controls with conventional overnight fasting. Twenty-eight morbidly obese patients were scheduled consecutively for bariatric surgery and 19 lean individuals (control group, CG) for elective general surgery. Preoperative assessment of VR, LVFP, and biventricular heart function was performed by a transthoracic echocardiography (TTE) protocol to all patients in the awake state. Assessment of VR and LVFP was made by inferior vena cava maximal diameter (IVCmax) and inferior vena cava collapsibility index- (IVCCI) derived right atrial pressure estimations.
A majority of MO (71.4 %) were hypovolemic vs. 15.8 % of lean controls (p < 0.001, odds ratio = 13.3). IVCmax was shorter in MO than in CG (p < 0.001). IVCCI was higher in MO (62.1 ± 23 %) vs. controls (42.6 ± 20.8; p < 0.001). Even left atrium anterior–posterior diameter was shorter in MO compared to CG.
Preoperative RWL may induce hypovolemia in morbidly obese patients. Hypovolemia in MO was more common vs. lean controls. TTE is a rapid and feasible tool for assessment of preload even in morbid obesity.
- Adams JP, Murphy PG. Obesity in anaesthesia and intensive care. Br J Anaesth. 2000;85(1):91–108. CrossRef
- Lotia S, Bellamy M. Anaesthesia and morbid obesity. Contin Educ Anaesth Crit Care Pain. 2008;8(5):151. CrossRef
- Nguyen NT, Wolfe BM. The physiologic effects of pneumoperitoneum in the morbidly obese. Ann Surg. 2005;241(2):219–26. CrossRef
- Popescu WM, Schwartz JJ. Perioperative considerations for the morbidly obese patient. Adv Anesth. 2007;25:59–77. CrossRef
- Poso T, Kesek D, Winso O, et al. Volatile rapid sequence induction in morbidly obese patients. Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2011;28(11):781–7. CrossRef
- Alpert MA, Terry BE, Mulekar M, et al. Cardiac morphology and left ventricular function in normotensive morbidly obese patients with and without congestive heart failure, and effect of weight loss. Am J Cardiol. 1997;80(6):736–40. CrossRef
- Alpert MA, Chan EJ. Left ventricular morphology and diastolic function in severe obesity: current views. Rev Esp Cardiol. 2012;65(1):1–3. CrossRef
- Crummy F, Naughton MT, Elborn JS. Obesity and the respiratory physician. Thorax. 2008;63(7):576–7. CrossRef
- Tavares ID, Sousa AC, Menezes Filho RS, Oliveira MH, Barreto-Filho JA, Brito AF, et al. Left ventricular diastolic function in morbidly obese patients in the preoperative for bariatric surgery. Arq Bras Cardiol. 2012;98(4):300–6. CrossRef
- Movahed MR, Saito Y. Obesity is associated with left atrial enlargement, E/A reversal and left ventricular hypertrophy. Exp Clin Cardiol. 2008;13(2):89–91.
- Poirier P, Alpert MA, Fleisher LA, et al. Cardiovascular evaluation and management of severely obese patients undergoing surgery: a science advisory from the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2009;120(1):86–95. CrossRef
- Jain AK, Dutta A. Stroke volume variation as a guide to fluid administration in morbidly obese patients undergoing laparoscopic bariatric surgery. Obes Surg. 2010;20(6):709–15. CrossRef
- Ogunnaike BO, Jones SB, Jones DB, et al. Anesthetic considerations for bariatric surgery. Anesth Analg. 2002;95(6):1793–805. CrossRef
- Chappell D, Jacob M, Hofmann-Kiefer K, et al. A rational approach to perioperative fluid management. Anesthesiology. 2008;109(4):723–40. CrossRef
- Alami RS, Morton JM, Schuster R, et al. Is there a benefit to preoperative weight loss in gastric bypass patients? A prospective randomized trial. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2007;3(2):141–5. discussion 5-6. CrossRef
- Benotti PN, Still CD, Wood GC, et al. Preoperative weight loss before bariatric surgery. Arch Surg. 2009;144(12):1150–5. CrossRef
- Liu R, Sabnis A, Forsyth C, et al. The effects of acute preoperative weight loss on laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Obes Surg. 2005;15(10):1396–402. CrossRef
- Fris R. Preoperative low energy diet diminishes liver size. Obes Surg. 2004;14(9):1165–70. CrossRef
- The expert group rapport of the national guidelines for bariatric surgery (NIOK), Sweden. 2009. wwwsfoakse/wp-content/niok_2009pdf. Accessed 27 Feb 2009.
- Syed M, Rosati C, Torosoff MT, et al. The impact of weight loss on cardiac structure and function in obese patients. Obes Surg. 2009;19(1):36–40. CrossRef
- Garza CA, Pellikka PA, Somers VK, et al. Structural and functional changes in left and right ventricles after major weight loss following bariatric surgery for morbid obesity. Am J Cardiol. 2010;105(4):550–6. CrossRef
- Brennan JM, Blair JE, Goonewardena S, et al. Reappraisal of the use of inferior vena cava for estimating right atrial pressure. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2007;20(7):857–61. CrossRef
- Lang RM, Bierig M, Devereux RB, et al. Recommendations for chamber quantification: a report from the American Society of Echocardiography's Guidelines and Standards Committee and the Chamber Quantification Writing Group, developed in conjunction with the European Association of Echocardiography, a branch of the European Society of Cardiology. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2005;18(12):1440–63. CrossRef
- Nagueh SF, Appleton CP, Gillebert TC, et al. Recommendations for the evaluation of left ventricular diastolic function by echocardiography. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2009;22(2):107–33. CrossRef
- Rudski LG, Lai WW, Afilalo J, et al. Guidelines for the echocardiographic assessment of the right heart in adults: a report from the American Society of Echocardiography endorsed by the European Association of Echocardiography, a registered branch of the European Society of Cardiology, and the Canadian Society of Echocardiography. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2010;23(7):685–713. quiz 86-8. CrossRef
- Kircher BJ, Himelman RB, Schiller NB. Noninvasive estimation of right atrial pressure from the inspiratory collapse of the inferior vena cava. Am J Cardiol. 1990;66(4):493–6. CrossRef
- Blair JE, Brennan JM, Goonewardena SN, et al. Usefulness of hand-carried ultrasound to predict elevated left ventricular filling pressure. Am J Cardiol. 2009;103(2):246–7. CrossRef
- Goonewardena SN, Blair JE, Manuchehry A, et al. Use of hand carried ultrasound, B-type natriuretic peptide, and clinical assessment in identifying abnormal left ventricular filling pressures in patients referred for right heart catheterization. J Card Fail. 2010;16(1):69–75. CrossRef
- Backman L, Freyschuss U, Hallberg D, et al. Cardiovascular function in extreme obesity. Acta Med Scand. 1973;193(5):437–46.
- Backer DD, Cholley BP, Slama M, Vieillard-Baron A, Vignon P, editors. Hemodynamic monitoring using echocardiography in the critically ill. Berlin: Springer; 2011.
- Iijima T. Complexity of blood volume control system and its implications in perioperative fluid management. J Anesth. 2009;23(4):534–42. CrossRef
- Singh S, Kuschner WG, Lighthall G. Perioperative intravascular fluid assessment and monitoring: a narrative review of established and emerging techniques. Anesthesiol Res Pract. 2011;2011:231493.
- Jones RM, Moulton CE, Hardy KJ. Central venous pressure and its effect on blood loss during liver resection. Br J Surg. 1998;85(8):1058–60. CrossRef
- Lambert DM, Marceau S, Forse RA. Intra-abdominal pressure in the morbidly obese. Obes Surg. 2005;15(9):1225–32. CrossRef
- Vivier E, Metton O, Piriou V, et al. Effects of increased intra-abdominal pressure on central circulation. Br J Anaesth. 2006;96(6):701–7. CrossRef
- Rapid Weight Loss Is Associated with Preoperative Hypovolemia in Morbidly Obese Patients
Volume 23, Issue 3 , pp 306-313
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Morbid obesity
- Transthoracic echocardiography
- Rapid weight loss
- Preoperative assessment
- Venous return
- Right atrial pressure
- Left ventricular filling pressure
- Inferior vena cava
- Industry Sectors