Dumping Symptoms and Incidence of Hypoglycaemia After Provocation Test at 6 and 12 Months After Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A previous study has demonstrated that symptoms suggestive of dumping syndrome appear after a provocation test early after laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy (LSG) in 45 % of patients, and these are mainly related to early dumping. The aim of this study is to evaluate the evolution of dumping symptoms during the first postoperative year.
Twenty-five non-diabetic morbidly obese patients (6 male, 19 female) were evaluated with an oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) preoperatively, at 6 weeks and at 6 months postoperatively. In addition, 12 of them repeated the OGTT at 12 months after LSG. Sigstad score was used to separate dumpers from non-dumpers and Arts’ questionnaire to differentiate between early and late dumping. Insulin and glucose levels were also measured.
Sigstad score remained significantly elevated at 6 and 12 months postoperatively compared to preoperative values. Symptoms suggestive of dumping syndrome were recorded in 40 % of patients at 6 months and in 33 % at 12 months postoperatively. Arts’ questionnaire demonstrated that early dumping score remained higher compared to baseline at 6 and 12 months postoperatively. Late dumping scores increased gradually during the time and that difference was statistically significant at 12 months after LSG. Hypoglycaemia occurred at 33 % of patients both at 6 and 12 months postoperatively.
Symptoms suggestive of dumping syndrome after provocation still exist at 6 and 12 months in a significant proportion of patients after LSG and include both early and late dumping. These findings are consistent with the high incidence of hypoglycaemia after OGTT at 6 and 12 months after LSG.
- Tack J, Arts J, Caenepeel P, et al. Pathophysiology, diagnosis and management of postoperative dumping syndrome. Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2009;6:583–90. CrossRef
- Vecht J, Masclee AAM, Lamers CBHW. The dumping syndrome. Current insights into pathophysiology, diagnosis and treatment. Scand J Gastroenterol Suppl. 1997;223:21–7.
- Ukleja A. Dumping syndrome: pathophysiology and treatment. Nutr Clin Pract. 2005;20:517–25. CrossRef
- Olbers T, Björkman S, Lindroos A, et al. Body composition, dietary intake, and energy expenditure after laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and laparoscopic vertical banded gastroplasty: a randomized clinical trial. Ann Surg. 2006;244:715–22. CrossRef
- Kenler HA, Brolin RE, Cody RP. Changes in eating behavior after horizontal gastroplasty and Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Am J Clin Nutr. 1990;52:87–92.
- Zukin P, Weiner I. Psychological factors in the dumping syndrome. J Nerv Ment Dis. 1960;130:426–7. CrossRef
- Hobsley M. Dumping and diarrhoea. Br J Surg. 1981;68:681–4. CrossRef
- Melissas J, Koukouraki S, Askoxylakis J, et al. Sleeve gastrectomy: a restrictive procedure? Obes Surg. 2007;17:57–62. CrossRef
- Melissas J, Daskalakis M, Koukouraki S, et al. Sleeve gastrectomy—a “food limiting” operation. Obes Surg. 2008;18:1251–6. CrossRef
- Karamanakos SN, Vagenas K, Kalfarentzos F, et al. Weight loss, appetite suppression, and changes in fasting and postprandial ghrelin and peptide-YY levels after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and sleeve gastrectomy: a prospective, double blind study. Ann Surg. 2008;247:401–7. CrossRef
- Peterli R, Wölnerhanssen B, Peters T, et al. Improvement in glucose metabolism after bariatric surgery: comparison of laparoscopic Rouxen-Y gastric bypass and laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy: a prospective randomized trial. Ann Surg. 2009;250:234–41. CrossRef
- Valderas JP, Irribarra V, Boza C, et al. Medical and surgical treatments for obesity have opposite effects on peptide YY and appetite: a prospective study controlled for weight loss. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010;95:1069–75. CrossRef
- Baumann T, Kuesters S, Grueneberger J, et al. Time-resolved MRI after ingestion of liquids reveals motility changes after laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy—preliminary results. Obes Surg. 2011;21:95–101. CrossRef
- Braghetto I, Davanzo C, Korn O, et al. Scintigraphic evaluation of gastric emptying in obese patients submitted to sleeve gastrectomy compared to normal subjects. Obes Surg. 2009;19:1515–21. CrossRef
- Tzovaras G, Papamargaritis D, Sioka E, et al. Symptoms suggestive of dumping syndrome after provocation in patients after laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy. Obes Surg. 2012;22:23–8. CrossRef
- Triantafyllidis G, Lazoura O, Sioka E, et al. Anatomy and complications following laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy: radiological evaluation and imaging pitfalls. Obes Surg. 2011;21:473–8. CrossRef
- Sigstad H. A clinical diagnostic index in the diagnosis of the dumping syndrome. Changes in plasma volume and blood sugar after a test meal. Acta Med Scand. 1970;188:479–86. CrossRef
- Arts J, Caenepeel P, Bisschops R, et al. Efficacy of the long-acting repeatable formulation of the somatostatin analogue octreotide in postoperative dumping. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2009;7:432–7. CrossRef
- [No authors listed]. 1983 metropolitan height and weight tables. Stat Bull Metrop Life Found. 1983;64:3–9.
- Deitel M. The change in the dumping syndrome concept. Obes Surg. 2008;18:1622–4. CrossRef
- Himpens J, Dapri G, Cadière GB. A prospective randomized study between laparoscopic gastric banding and laparoscopic isolated sleeve gastrectomy: results after 1 and 3 years. Obes Surg. 2011;16:1450–6. CrossRef
- Kafri N, Valfer R, Nativ O, et al. Hazzan D Health behavior, food tolerance, and satisfaction after laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2011;7:82–8. CrossRef
- Wilson-Pérez HE, Chambers AP, Sandoval DA, Stefater MA, Woods SC, Benoit SC, Seeley RJ. The effect of vertical sleeve gastrectomy on food choice in rats. Int J Obes (Lond). 2012. doi:10.1038/ijo.2012.18.
- Yehoshua RT, Eidelman LA, Stein M, et al. Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy—volume and pressure assessment. Obes Surg. 2008;18:1083–8. CrossRef
- Yamashita Y, Toge T, Adrian TE. Gastrointestinal hormone in dumping syndrome and reflux esophagitis after gastric surgery. J Smooth Muscle Res. 1997;33:37–48. CrossRef
- Valderas JP, Irribarra V, Rubio L, et al. Effects of sleeve gastrectomy and medical treatment for obesity on glucagon-like peptide 1 levels and glucose homeostasis in non-diabetic subjects. Obes Surg. 2011;21:902–9. CrossRef
- Peterli R, Steinert RE, Woelnerhanssen B, et al. Metabolic and hormonal changes after laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and sleeve gastrectomy: a randomized, prospective trial. Obes Surg. 2012;22:740–8. CrossRef
- Kim SH, Liu TC, Abbasi F, et al. Plasma glucose and insulin regulation is abnormal following gastric bypass surgery with or without neuroglycopenia. Obes Surg. 2009;19:1550–6. CrossRef
- Goldfine AB, Mun EC, Devine E, et al. Patients with neuroglycopenia after gastric bypass surgery have exaggerated incretin and insulin secretory responses to a mixed meal. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2007;92:4678–85. CrossRef
- Scavini M, Pontiroli AE, Folli F. Asymptomatic hyperinsulinemic hypoglycaemia after gastric banding. N Engl J Med. 2005;353:2822–3. CrossRef
- Baggio LL, Drucker DJ. Biology of incretins: GLP-1 and GIP (review). Gastroenterology. 2007;132:2131–57. CrossRef
- Vincent RP, le Roux CW. Changes in gut hormones after bariatric surgery (review). Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2008;69:173–9. CrossRef
- Guldstrand M, Ahrén B, Adamson U. Improved beta-cell function after standardized weight reduction in severely obese subjects. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2003;284:E557–65.
- Utzschneider KM, Carr DB, Barsness SM, et al. Diet-induced weight loss is associated with an improvement in beta-cell function in older men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004;89:2704–10. CrossRef
- Dumping Symptoms and Incidence of Hypoglycaemia After Provocation Test at 6 and 12 Months After Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy
Volume 22, Issue 10 , pp 1600-1606
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy
- Bariatric surgery
- Dumping syndrome
- Gastric emptying
- Late dumping
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Endocrinology, University Hospital of Larissa, Larissa, Greece
- 2. Department of Surgery, University Hospital of Larissa, Larissa, Greece
- 3. 19 Agorogianni A. Street, Larissa, 413 35, Greece