Lean and Fat Mass Loss in Obese Patients Before and After Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass: A New Application for Ultrasound Technique
- A. Z. PereiraAffiliated withDepartment of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, UNIFESP Email author
- , J. S. MarchiniAffiliated withDepartment of Medicine, Division of Clinical Nutrition, University of São Paulo
- , G. CarneiroAffiliated withDepartment of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, UNIFESP
- , C. H. ArasakiAffiliated withDepartment of Surgery, Division of Gastroenterological Surgery, UNIFESP
- , M. T. ZanellaAffiliated withDepartment of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, UNIFESP
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This study aims to evaluate the thickness of the femoral quadriceps and biceps brachii and brachialis muscles bilaterally and the adjacent subcutaneous fat in patients undergoing gastric bypass Roux-en-Y before and after surgery, using ultrasound as the diagnostic method of choice.
We studied 12 patients undergoing this surgical method preoperatively and during the first, third, and sixth postoperative months. During these periods, patients were evaluated by ultrasound to determine the thickness of subcutaneous adipose tissue and muscle of the upper and lower limbs.
Postoperatively, these patients showed a reduction in the thickness of the upper and lower extremities muscle and adipose tissue as compared to their preoperative values. There was a significant difference in the loss of muscle thickness in all postoperative months and in the thickness of fatty tissue in the sixth month after surgery, compared to the preoperative muscle and fatty tissue thickness.
Ultrasound can be considered as the diagnostic method of choice when assessment of the fat and lean body mass is required in morbidly obese patients before and after bariatric surgery.
KeywordsMuscle ultrasound Fat mass Obesity Ultrasound Lean mass Gastroplasty Bariatric surgery Gastric bypass Roux-en-Y
- Lean and Fat Mass Loss in Obese Patients Before and After Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass: A New Application for Ultrasound Technique
Volume 22, Issue 4 , pp 597-601
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Muscle ultrasound
- Fat mass
- Lean mass
- Bariatric surgery
- Gastric bypass Roux-en-Y
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, UNIFESP, São Paulo, Brazil
- 2. Department of Medicine, Division of Clinical Nutrition, University of São Paulo, Campus Ribeirão Preto, São Paulo, Brazil
- 3. Department of Surgery, Division of Gastroenterological Surgery, UNIFESP, São Paulo, Brazil