A 5-Year Prospective Quality of Life Analysis Following Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding for Morbid Obesity
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In addition to actual weight loss and the possible resolution of obesity-related co-morbidities following bariatric surgery, another widely recognized important outcome measure is the improvement of quality of life (QOL).
Disease-specific quality of life (DSQOL) and general health-related quality of life (HRQOL) were measured preoperatively and at 1 and 5 years postoperatively following laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding (LAGB) for morbid obesity. The Moorehead–Ardelt questionnaire was used for DSQOL assessments and a generic 15-dimensional questionnaire (15D) was used for HRQOL measurements. In addition, HRQOL was compared with that of the age- and gender-standardized general population.
DSQOL scores were significantly improved on all domains after 1 year from the operation and this improvement was maintained at 5 years. This improvement was also seen in the total HRQOL scores. Despite this improvement, the HRQOL after LAGB remained worse compared to the age- and gender-standardized general population.
DSQOL and HRQOL improve both significantly after LAGB. This QOL improvement is maintained at 5-year follow-up although QOL does not reach the level of the general population.
- Belachew M, Legrand MJ, Defechereux TH, et al. Laparoscopic adjustable silicone gastric banding in the treatment of morbid obesity. A preliminary report. Surg Endosc. 1994;8(11):1354–6. CrossRef
- Sullivan MB, Sullivan LG, Kral JG. Quality of life assessment in obesity: physical, psychological, and social function. Gastroenterol Clin North Am. 1987;16(3):433–42.
- Sarlio-Lahteenkorva S, Stunkard A, Rissanen A. Psychosocial factors and quality of life in obesity. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1995;19 Suppl 6:S1–5.
- Ware Jr JE. The status of health assessment 1994. Annu Rev Public Health. 1995;16:327–54. CrossRef
- Gill TM, Feinstein AR. A critical appraisal of the quality of quality-of-life measurements. JAMA. 1994;272(8):619–26. CrossRef
- Patrick DL, Deyo RA. Generic and disease-specific measures in assessing health status and quality of life. Med Care. 1989;27(3 Suppl):S217–32. CrossRef
- Tolonen P, Victorzon M. Quality of life following laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding—the Swedish band and the Moorehead–Ardelt questionnaire. Obes Surg. 2003;13(3):424–6. CrossRef
- Tolonen P, Victorzon M, Makela J. Impact of laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding for morbid obesity on disease-specific and health-related quality of life. Obes Surg. 2004;14(6):788–95. CrossRef
- Oria HE, Moorehead MK. Bariatric analysis and reporting outcome system (BAROS). Obes Surg. 1998;8(5):487–99. CrossRef
- Sintonen H. The 15D instrument of health-related quality of life: properties and applications. Ann Med. 2001;33(5):328–36. CrossRef
- Sintonen H, Arinen S-S. The health status of the adult Finnish population as measured by life expectancy, the 15D and QALYs. J Soc Med. 1997;34:182–8.
- Stavem K. Reliability, validity and responsiveness of two multiattribute utility measures in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Qual Life Res. 1999;8(1–2):45–54. CrossRef
- Hawthorne G, Richardson J, Day NA. A comparison of the Assessment of Quality of Life (AQoL) with four other generic utility instruments. Ann Med. 2001;33(5):358–70. CrossRef
- Moock J, Kohlmann T. Comparing preference-based quality-of-life measures: results from rehabilitation patients with musculoskeletal, cardiovascular, or psychosomatic disorders. Qual Life Res. 2008;17(3):485–95. CrossRef
- Aromaa A, Koskinen S, editors. Health and functional capacity in Finland. Baseline results of the Health 2000 Health Examination Survey. Publications of the National Public Health Institute B12/2004 2004.
- Victorzon M, Tolonen P, Sintonen H. Health-related quality of life in severely and morbidly obese patients waiting for bariatric surgery in Finland. Scand J Surg. 2010;99:122–6.
- Colquitt JL, Picot J, Loveman E et al. Surgery for obesity. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2009;(2): CD003641.
- Dziurowicz-Kozlowska A, Lisik W, Wierzbicki Z, et al. Health-related quality of life after the surgical treatment of obesity. J Physiol Pharmacol. 2005;56 Suppl 6:127–34.
- Folope V, Hellot MF, Kuhn JM, et al. Weight loss and quality of life after bariatric surgery: a study of 200 patients after vertical gastroplasty or adjustable gastric banding. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2008;62(8):1022–30. CrossRef
- Hammoud A, Gibson M, Hunt SC, et al. Effect of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery on the sex steroids and quality of life in obese men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009;94(4):1329–32. CrossRef
- Karlsson J, Taft C, Ryden A, et al. Ten-year trends in health-related quality of life after surgical and conventional treatment for severe obesity: the SOS intervention study. Int J Obes (Lond). 2007;31(8):1248–61. CrossRef
- Kolotkin RL, Crosby RD, Gress RE, et al. Two-year changes in health-related quality of life in gastric bypass patients compared with severely obese controls. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2009;5(2):250–6. CrossRef
- Muller MK, Wenger C, Schiesser M, et al. Quality of life after bariatric surgery—a comparative study of laparoscopic banding vs. bypass. Obes Surg. 2008;18(12):1551–7. CrossRef
- Dixon JB, Dixon ME, O’Brien PE. Quality of life after lap-band placement: influence of time, weight loss, and comorbidities. Obes Res. 2001;9(11):713–21. CrossRef
- Karlsson J, Sjostrom L, Sullivan M. Swedish obese subjects (SOS)—an intervention study of obesity. Two-year follow-up of health-related quality of life (HRQL) and eating behavior after gastric surgery for severe obesity. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1998;22(2):113–26. CrossRef
- van Gemert WG, Adang EM, Greve JW, et al. Quality of life assessment of morbidly obese patients: effect of weight-reducing surgery. Am J Clin Nutr. 1998;67(2):197–201.
- van Gemert WG, Adang EM, Kop M, et al. A prospective cost-effectiveness analysis of vertical banded gastroplasty for the treatment of morbid obesity. Obes Surg. 1999;9(5):484–91. CrossRef
- Waters GS, Pories WJ, Swanson MS, et al. Long-term studies of mental health after the Greenville gastric bypass operation for morbid obesity. Am J Surg. 1991;16(1):154–7. discussion 7–8. CrossRef
- Sjostrom L, Narbro K, Sjostrom CD, et al. Effects of bariatric surgery on mortality in Swedish obese subjects. N Engl J Med. 2007;357(8):741–52. CrossRef
- Weiner R, Blanco-Engert R, Weiner S, et al. Outcome after laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding—8 years experience. Obes Surg. 2003;13(3):427–34. CrossRef
- A 5-Year Prospective Quality of Life Analysis Following Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding for Morbid Obesity
Volume 21, Issue 10 , pp 1585-1591
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Morbid obesity
- Disease-specific quality of life
- Health-related quality of life
- Bariatric surgery
- Gastric banding
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Surgery, Turku University Hospital, PL 52, Turku, 20521, Finland
- 2. Hjelt Institute/Department of Public Health, University of Helsinki, P.O. Box 41, Helsinki, 00014, Finland
- 3. Department of Surgery, Vaasa Central Hospital, Vaasa, Finland