A Review of Studies Comparing Three Laparoscopic Procedures in Bariatric Surgery: Sleeve Gastrectomy, Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass and Adjustable Gastric Banding
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Obesity is a major worldwide problem in public health, reaching epidemic proportions in many countries, especially in urbanized regions. Bariatric procedures have been shown to be more effective in the management of morbid obesity, compared to medical treatments in terms of weight loss and its sustainability. The two most commonly performed procedures are laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (LRYGB), laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding (LAGB), and the novel laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy (LSG). The MEDLINE database (cutoff date September 2010), LILACS, and the Cochrane Library were searched using the key words “gastric bypass,” “sleeve gastrectomy,” and “gastric banding.” Only studies that compared at least two of the laparoscopic procedures were included. Reviews and meta-analysis, editorial letters or comments, case reports, animal or in vitro studies, comparisons with medical treatment, comparisons with open (non-laparoscopic) procedures were excluded. Most studies indicated that LRYGB and LSG could be more effective achieving weight loss than LAGB. However, LAGB seems to be a safer procedure with frequent, but less severe, long-term complications. Although not uniformly reported, a resolution of obesity-related comorbidities was achieved with most bariatric procedures. The three procedures have acceptable efficacy and safety. We believe that patients should be informed in detail on the advantages and disadvantages of each available procedure, possibly in several interviews and always accompanied by a specialized interdisciplinary team, warranting long-term follow-up.
- Flegal KM, Carroll MD, Ogden CL, et al. Prevalence and trends in obesity among US adults, 1999–2008. JAMA. 2010;303(3):235–41. Epub 2010 Jan 13. CrossRef
- Bautista LE, Casas JP, Herrera VM, et al. The Latin American Consortium of Studies in Obesity (LASO). Obes Rev. 2009;10(3):364–70. CrossRef
- NIH. Gastrointestinal surgery for severe obesity. NIH Consensus Statement. 1991;9(1):1–20.
- Wittgrove AC, Clark GW, Tremblay LJ. Laparoscopic gastric bypass, Roux-en-Y: preliminary report of five cases. Obes Surg. 1994;4(4):353–7. CrossRef
- Belachew M, Legrand MJ, Defechereux TH, et al. Laparoscopic adjustable silicone gastric banding in the treatment of morbid obesity. A preliminary report. Surg Endosc. 1994;8(11):1354–6. CrossRef
- Biertho L, Steffen R, Ricklin T, et al. Laparoscopic gastric bypass versus laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding: a comparative study of 1,200 cases. J Am Coll Surg. 2003;197(4):536–44. Discussion 544–5. CrossRef
- Boza C, Gamboa C, Awruch D, et al. Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass versus laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding: five years of follow-up. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2010 Sep–Oct;6:470–5. Epub 2010 Mar 6. CrossRef
- Wong SK, Kong AP, Mui WL, et al. Laparoscopic bariatric surgery: a five-year review. Hong Kong Med J. 2009;15(2):100–9.
- Himpens J, Dapri G, Cadière GB. A prospective randomized study between laparoscopic gastric banding and laparoscopic isolated sleeve gastrectomy: results after 1 and 3 years. Obes Surg. 2006;16(11):1450–6. CrossRef
- Langer FB, Reza Hoda MA, Bohdjalian A, et al. Sleeve gastrectomy and gastric banding: effects on plasma ghrelin levels. Obes Surg. 2005;15(7):1024–9. CrossRef
- Hess DS, Hess DW. Biliopancreatic diversion with a duodenal switch. Obes Surg. 1998;8(3):267–82. CrossRef
- Marceau P, Hould FS, Simard S, et al. Biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch. World J Surg. 1998;22(9):947–54. CrossRef
- Johnston D, Dachtler J, Sue-Ling HM, et al. The Magenstrasse and Mill operation for morbid obesity. Obes Surg. 2003;13(1):10–6. CrossRef
- Nguyen NT, Slone JA, Nguyen XMT, et al. A prospective randomized trial of laparoscopic gastric bypass versus laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding for the treatment of morbid obesity: outcomes, quality of life, and costs. Ann Surg. 2009;250(4):631–41.
- Turner-Bowker DM, Bartley PJ, Ware Jr JE. SF-36® health survey & “SF” bibliography: third edition (1988–2000). Lincoln: QualityMetric Incorporated; 2002.
- Angrisani L, Lorenzo M, Borrelli V. Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding versus Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: 5-year results of a prospective randomized trial. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2007;3(2):127–32. Discussion 132–3. Epub 2007 Feb 27. CrossRef
- Karamanakos SN, Vagenas K, Kalfarentzos F, et al. Weight loss, appetite suppression, and changes in fasting and postprandial ghrelin and peptide-YY levels after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and sleeve gastrectomy: a prospective, double blind study. Ann Surg. 2008;247(3):401–7. CrossRef
- Peterli R, Wölnerhanssen B, Peters T, et al. Improvement in glucose metabolism after bariatric surgery: comparison of laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy: a prospective randomized trial. Ann Surg. 2009;250(2):234–41. CrossRef
- Christou N, Efthimiou E. Five-year outcomes of laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding and laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass in a comprehensive bariatric surgery program in Canada. Can J Surg. 2009;52(6):E249–58.
- Jan JC, Hong D, Pereira N, et al. Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding versus laparoscopic gastric bypass for morbid obesity: a single-institution comparison study of early results. J Gastrointest Surg. 2005;9(1):30–9. Discussion 40–1. CrossRef
- Jan JC, Hong D, Bardaro SJ, et al. Comparative study between laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding and laparoscopic gastric bypass: single-institution, 5-year experience in bariatric surgery. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2007;3(1):42–50. discussion 50–1. CrossRef
- Kim TH, Daud A, Ude AO, et al. Early U.S. outcomes of laparoscopic gastric bypass versus laparoscopic adjustable silicone gastric banding for morbid obesity. Surg Endosc. 2006;20(2):202–9. Epub 2005 Dec 6. CrossRef
- Lakdawala MA, Bhasker A, Mulchandani D, et al. Comparison between the results of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy and laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass in the Indian population: a retrospective 1 year study. Obes Surg. 2010;20(1):1–6. Epub 2009 Oct 3. CrossRef
- Lee H, Kim D, Lee S, et al. Initial evaluation of laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and adjustable gastric banding in Korea: a single institution study. Obes Surg. 2010;20(8):1096–101. Epub 2008 Apr 29. CrossRef
- Weber M, Müller MK, Bucher T, et al. Laparoscopic gastric bypass is superior to laparoscopic gastric banding for treatment of morbid obesity. Ann Surg. 2004;240(6):975–82. Discussion 982–3. CrossRef
- Bessler M, Daud A, DiGiorgi MF, et al. Frequency distribution of weight loss percentage after gastric bypass and adjustable gastric banding. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2008;4(4):486–91. Epub 2008 Jun 30. CrossRef
- Mognol P, Chosidow D, Marmuse JP. Laparoscopic gastric bypass versus laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding in the super-obese: a comparative study of 290 patients. Obes Surg. 2005;15(1):76–81. CrossRef
- Strain GW, Gagner M, Pomp A, et al. Comparison of weight loss and body composition changes with four surgical procedures. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2009;5(5):582–7. Epub 2009 Apr 14. CrossRef
- Ballantyne GH, Farkas D, Laker S, et al. Short-term changes in insulin resistance following weight loss surgery for morbid obesity: laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding versus laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Obes Surg. 2006;16(9):1189–97. CrossRef
- Ballantyne GH, Wasielewski A, Saunders JK. The surgical treatment of type II diabetes mellitus: changes in HOMA Insulin resistance in the first year following laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (LRYGB) and laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding (LAGB). Obes Surg. 2009;19(9):1297–303. Epub 2009 Jul 23. CrossRef
- Lee WJ, Lee YC, Ser KH, et al. Improvement of insulin resistance after obesity surgery: a comparison of gastric banding and bypass procedures. Obes Surg. 2008;18(9):1119–25. Epub 2008 Mar 4. CrossRef
- Abbatini F, Rizzello M, Casella G, et al. Long-term effects of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy, gastric bypass, and adjustable gastric banding on type 2 diabetes. Surg Endosc. 2010;24(5):1005–10. Epub 2009 Oct 29. CrossRef
- Korner J, Inabnet W, Conwell IM, et al. Differential effects of gastric bypass and banding on circulating gut hormone and leptin levels. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2006;14(9):1553–61. CrossRef
- Korner J, Inabnet W, Febres G, et al. Prospective study of gut hormone and metabolic changes after adjustable gastric banding and Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Int J Obes (Lond). 2009;33(7):786–95. Epub 2009 May 5. CrossRef
- Rodieux F, Giusti V, D'Alessio DA, et al. Effects of gastric bypass and gastric banding on glucose kinetics and gut hormone release. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2008;16(2):298–305. CrossRef
- Buchwald H, Estok R, Fahrbach K, et al. Trends in mortality in bariatric surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Surgery. 2007;142(4):621–35. CrossRef
- Farrell TM, Haggerty SP, Overby DW, et al. Clinical application of laparoscopic bariatric surgery: an evidence-based review. Surg Endosc. 2009;23(5):930–49. Epub 2009 Jan 6. CrossRef
- Tice JA, Karliner L, Walsh J, et al. Gastric banding or bypass: a systematic review comparing the two most popular bariatric procedures. Am J Med. 2008;121(10):885–93. CrossRef
- Garb J, Welch G, Zagarins S, et al. Bariatric surgery for the treatment of morbid obesity: a meta-analysis of weight loss outcomes for laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding and laparoscopic gastric bypass. Obes Surg. 2009;19(10):1447–55. Epub 2009 Aug 5. CrossRef
- Stoeckli R, Chanda R, Langer I, et al. Changes of body weight and plasma ghrelin levels after gastric banding and gastric bypass. Obes Res. 2004;12(2):346–50. CrossRef
- Leonetti F, Silecchia G, Iacobellis G, et al. Different plasma ghrelin levels after laparoscopic gastric bypass and adjustable gastric banding in morbid obese subjects. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003;88(9):4227–31. CrossRef
- Parikh M, Ayoung-Chee P, Romanos E, et al. Comparison of rates of resolution of diabetes mellitus after gastric banding, gastric bypass, and biliopancreatic diversion. J Am Coll Surg. 2007;205(5):631–5. Epub 2007 Sep 18. CrossRef
- Omana JJ, Nguyen SQ, Herron D, et al. Comparison of comorbidity resolution and improvement between laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy and laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding. Surg Endosc. 2010 Oct;24:2513–7. Epub 2010 Mar 26. CrossRef
- Sasse KC, Ganser JH, Kozar MD, et al. Outpatient weight loss surgery: initiating a gastric bypass and gastric banding ambulatory weight loss surgery center. JSLS. 2009;13(1):50–5.
- Müller MK, Wenger C, Schiesser M, et al. Quality of life after bariatric surgery—a comparative study of laparoscopic banding vs. bypass. Obes Surg. 2008;18(12):1551–7. Epub 2008 May 7. CrossRef
- Salem L, Devlin A, Sullivan SD, et al. Cost-effectiveness analysis of laparoscopic gastric bypass, adjustable gastric banding, and nonoperative weight loss interventions. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2008;4(1):26–32. Epub 2007 Dec 19. CrossRef
- Campbell J, McGarry LA, Shikora SA, et al. Cost-effectiveness of laparoscopic gastric banding and bypass for morbid obesity. Am J Manag Care. 2010;16(7):e174–87.
- Treadwell JR, Sun F, Schoelles K. Systematic review and meta-analysis of bariatric surgery for pediatric obesity. Ann Surg. 2008;248(5):763–76. CrossRef
- A Review of Studies Comparing Three Laparoscopic Procedures in Bariatric Surgery: Sleeve Gastrectomy, Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass and Adjustable Gastric Banding
Volume 21, Issue 9 , pp 1458-1468
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass
- Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding
- Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 2. Department of Surgery, University of Buenos Aires (UBA), Buenos Aires, Argentina
- 1. Department of Surgery, Mount Sinai Medical Center, 4300 Alton Road, Miami Beach, FL, 33140, USA