Pregnancy Outcome in Morbidly Obese Women Before and After Laparoscopic Gastric Banding
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Increasing numbers of pregnancies are seen in obese women treated surgically with laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding (LAGB). We compared their maternal and fetal outcomes with obese women without LAGB and normal-weight controls.
Sixty-nine obese women with LAGB (83 pregnancies) were compared with 120 obese women without LAGB and 858 controls.
By comparison with normal controls, post-LAGB pregnancies had higher rates of gestational hypertension (9.6% vs 2.4%, p < 0.05), preeclampsia/eclampsia (12.0% vs 2.3%, p < 0.001), abortion (10.8% vs 0.3%, p < 0.001), cesarean section (45.9% vs 28.2%, p < 0.01), preterm delivery (17.6% vs 3.6%, p < 0.001), and babies needing neonatal intensive care (20.3% vs 9.0%, p < 0.01). Compared with the no-LAGB obese group, the post-LAGB pregnancies had lower rates of gestational hypertension (9.6% vs 23.5%, p < 0.05), preeclampsia/eclampsia (12.0% vs 20.8%, p < 0.05), and cesarean section (45.9% vs 65.8%, p < 0.01). The post-LAGB obese women gained less weight during the pregnancy (6.6 ± 7.9 vs 14.8 ± 10.1 kg, p < 0.001) and experienced less gestational hypertension (14.8% vs 33%), preeclampsia/eclampsia (7.4% vs 14.8%), and macrosomia (4.2% vs 16%) than in pregnancies before LAGB. No significant differences in maternal and fetal outcomes emerged between post-LAGB pregnant women who lost versus those who gained weight during pregnancy. Compared with those no longer morbidly obese, women still morbidly obese after LAGB had a lower weight gain (2.8 ± 11.8 vs 8.6 ± 9.5 kg, p < 0.05) and a higher gestational hypertension rate (29.4% vs 8.9%, p < 0.05).
The risks of negative maternal and fetal outcomes for obese women can be reduced by LAGB if the women are closely followed up.
- Flegal, KM, Graubard, BI, Williamson, DF (2005) Excess deaths associated with underweight, overweight and obesity. JAMA 293: pp. 1861-1867 CrossRef
- Hedley, AA, Ogden, CL, Johnson, CL (2004) Prevalence of overweight and obesity among US children, adolescents and adults. 1999–2002. JAMA 29: pp. 720-733
- Cnattingius, S, Bergstrom, R, Lipworth, J (1998) Prepregnancy weight and the risk of adverse outcomes. N Engl J Med 338: pp. 147-152 CrossRef
- Sebire, NJ, Jolly, M, Harris, JP (2001) Maternal obesity and pregnancy outcome: a study of 287,213 pregnancies in London. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 25: pp. 1175-1182 CrossRef
- Cedergen, MI (2004) Maternal morbid obesity and the risk of adverse pregnancy outcome. Obstet Gynecol 103: pp. 219-224
- Galtier-Dereure, F, Montpeyroux, F, Boulot, P (1995) Weight excess before pregnancy: complications and costs. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 19: pp. 443-448
- Dixon, JB, Dixon, ME, O’Brien, PE (2001) Pregnancy after Lap-Band surgery: management of the band to achieve healthy weight outcomes. Obes Surg 11: pp. 59-65 CrossRef
- Buchwald, H, Avidor, Y, Braunwald, E (2004) Bariatric surgery. A systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA 2292: pp. 1724-1737 CrossRef
- Kral, JG, Naslund, E (2007) Surgical treatment of obesity. Nature Clin Pract Endocrinol Metab 3: pp. 574-583 CrossRef
- Weintraub, AY, Levy, A, Levi, I (2008) Effect of bariatric surgery on pregnancy outcome. Int J Gynecol Obstet 103: pp. 246-251 CrossRef
- Dixon, JB, Dixon, ME, O’Brien, PE (2005) Birth outcomes in obese women after laparoscopic adjustable gastric binding. Obstet Gynecol 5: pp. 965-972
- Wittgrove, AC, Facs, LG, Wittgrove, P (1998) Pregnancy following gastric bypass for morbid obesity. Obes Surg 8: pp. 461-464 CrossRef
- Sheiner, E, Balaban, E, Dreiher, J (2009) Pregnancy outcomes in patients following different types of bariatric surgery. Obes Surg 19: pp. 1286-1292 CrossRef
- Kral, JG, Biron, S (2006) Large maternal weight loss from obesity surgery prevents transmission of obesity to children who were followed for 2 to 18 years. Pediatrics 118: pp. 1644-1649 CrossRef
- Granstrom, L, Granstrom, L, Backman, L (1990) Fetal growth retardation after gastric banding. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 69: pp. 533-536 CrossRef
- Martin, L, Chavez, GF, Adams, MJ (1998) Gastric bypass surgery as a maternal risk factor for neural tube defect. Lancet 1: pp. 640-641
- Ramierz, MM, Turrentine, MA (1995) Gastrointestinal hemorrhage during pregnancy in a patient with a history of vertical-banded gastroplasy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 173: pp. 1630-1631 CrossRef
- Eerdekens A, Debeer A, Van Hoey G, et al. Maternal bariatric surgery: adverse outcomes in neonates. Eur J Pediatr. 2009. doi:10.1007/s0043-009-1005-1.
- Hubbard, VS, Hall, VH (1991) Gastrointestinal surgery for severe obesity. National Institutes of Health Consensus Development Conference draft statement. Obes Surg 1: pp. 257-265 CrossRef
- Favretti, F, Segato, G, Ashton, D (2007) Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding in 1,791 consecutive obese patients: 12-year results. Obes Surg 17: pp. 168-175 CrossRef
- Busetto, L, Segato, G, Marchi, F (2003) Post-operative management of laparoscopic banding. Obes Surg 13: pp. 121-127 CrossRef
- Carpenter, MW, Coustan, DR (1982) Criteria for screening tests for gestational diabetes. J Obstet Gynaecol 144: pp. 768-773
- Metzger, BE, Coustan, DR (1998) Summary and recommendations of the fourth international workshop–conference on gestational diabetes mellitus. Diab Care 20: pp. B161-167
- National High Blood Pressure Education Program Working Group on High Blood Pressure in Pregnancy. Report of the National High Blood Pressure Education Program Working Group on high blood pressure in pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2000;183(Suppl 1):S1–S22.
- Parazzini, F, Cortinovis, I, Bortulus, R (1995) Weight at birth by gestational age in Italy. Hum Reprod 10: pp. 1852-863
- Skull, AJ, Slater, GH, Duncombe, JE (2004) Laparoscopic adjustable banding in pregnancy: safety, patient tolerance and effect on obesity-related pregnancy outcomes. Obes Surg 14: pp. 230-235 CrossRef
- Ducarme, G, Revaux, A, Rodrigues, A (2007) Obstetric outcome following laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding. Int J Gynaecol Obstet 98: pp. 244-247 CrossRef
- CEDAP 2005. Ministero della Salute. www.ministerosalute.it
- Pregnancy Outcome in Morbidly Obese Women Before and After Laparoscopic Gastric Banding
Volume 20, Issue 9 , pp 1251-1257
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Morbid obesity
- Gastric banding
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences, University of Padova, Via Giustiniani n 2, 35100, Padova, Italy
- 2. Department of Surgery, Vicenza Regional Hospital, Vicenza, Italy