Manometric Changes of the Lower Esophageal Sphincter After Sleeve Gastrectomy in Obese Patients
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy has been accepted as an option for surgical treatment of obesity. After surgery, some patients present reflux symptoms associated with endoscopic esophagitis, therefore PPI’s treatment must be indicated.
This study aims to evaluate the manometric characteristic of the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) before and after sleeve gastrectomy
Material and Method
This prospective study includes 20 patients submitted to esophageal manometry in order to determine the resting pressure, and total and abdominal LES length before and after the sleeve gastrectomy. Statistical variations on the LESP were validated according to Student’s “t” test.
Seventeen female and three male patients were included, with a mean age of 37.6 ± 12.6 years. All patients reduced their body weight, from an initial BMI of 38.3 kg/m2 to 28.2 kg/m2 6 months after surgery. No postoperative complications were observed in these patients. Preoperative mean LESP was 14.2 ± 5.8 mmHg. Postoperative manometry decreased in 17/20 (85%), with a mean value of 11.2 ± 5.7 mmHg (p = 0.01). Seven of them presented LESP <12 mmHg and ten patients <6 mmHg after the operation. Furthermore, the abdominal length and total length of the high pressure zone at the esophagogastric junction were affected.
A sleeve gastrectomy produces an important decrease in LES pressure, which can in turn cause the appearance of reflux symptoms and esophagitis after the operation due to a partial resection of the sling fibers during the gastrectomy.
- Hampel H, Abraham NS, El-Serag HB. Meta-analysis: obesity and the risk for gastroesophageal reflux disease and its complications. Ann Intern Med. 2005;143:199–211.
- Kendrick ML, Houghton SG. Gastroesophageal reflux disease in obese patients: the role of obesity in management. Dis Esophagus. 2006;19:57–63. CrossRef
- Varela JE, Hinojosa MW, Nguyen NT. Laparoscopic fundoplication compared with laparoscopic gastric bypass in morbidly obese patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2009;5:139–43. CrossRef
- Friedenberg FK, Xanthopoulos M, Foster GD, et al. The association between gastroesophageal reflux disease and obesity. Am J Gastroenterol. 2008;103:2111–22. CrossRef
- Gómez Escudero O, Herrera Hernández MF, Valdovinos Díaz MA. Obesity and gastroesophageal reflux disease. Rev Invest Clin. 2002;54:320–7.
- Sise A, Friedenberg FK. A comprehensive review of gastroesophageal reflux disease and obesity. Obes Rev. 2008;9:194–203. CrossRef
- Csendes A, Burdiles P, Rojas J, et al. Reflujo gastroesofágico patológico en pacientes con obesidad severa, mórbida e hiper obesidad. Rev Med Chil. 2001;129:1038–43.
- Schauer P, Hamad G, Ikramuddin S. Surgical management of gastroesophageal reflux disease in obese patients. Semin Laparosc Surg. 2001;8:256–64. CrossRef
- Di Francesco V, Baggio E, Mastromauro M, et al. Obesity and gastro-esophageal acid reflux: physiopathological mechanisms and role of gastric bariatric surgery. Obes Surg. 2004;14:1095–102. CrossRef
- Gutschow CA, Collet P, Prenzel K, et al. Long-term results and gastroesophageal reflux in a series of laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding. J Gastrointest Surg. 2005;9:941–8. CrossRef
- Dixon JB, O’Brien PE. Gastroesophageal reflux in obesity: the effect of lap-band placement. Obes Surg. 1999;9:527–31. CrossRef
- Forsell P, Hallerbäck B, Glise H, et al. Complications following Swedish adjustable gastric banding: a long-term follow-up. Obes Surg. 1999;9:11–6. CrossRef
- Csendes A, Burgos AM, Smok G, et al. Effect of gastric bypass on Barrett’s esophagus and intestinal metaplasia of the cardia in patients with morbid obesity. J Gastrointest Surg. 2006;10:259–64. CrossRef
- Perry Y, Courcoulas AP, Fernando HC, et al. Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass for recalcitrant gastroesophageal reflux disease in morbidly obese patients. JSLS. 2004;8:19–23.
- Cobey F, Oelschlager B. Complete regression of Barrett’s esophagus after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Obes Surg. 2005;15:710–2. CrossRef
- Merrouche M, Sabaté JM, Jouet P, et al. Gastro-esophageal reflux and esophageal motility disorders in morbidly obese patients before and after bariatric surgery. Obes Surg. 2007;17:894–900. CrossRef
- Csendes A, Braghetto I, Burdiles P, et al. Long-term results of classic antireflux surgery in 152 patients with Barrett’s esophagus: clinical, radiological, endoscopic, manometric, and acid reflux test analysis before and late after operation. Surgery. 1998;123:645–57.
- Himpens J, Dapri G, Cadière GB. A prospective randomized study between laparoscopic gastric banding and laparoscopic isolated sleeve gastrectomy: results after 1 and 3 years. Obes Surg. 2006;16:1450–6. CrossRef
- Moon Han S, Kim WW, Oh JH. Results of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy (LSG) at 1 year in morbidly obese Korean patients. Obes Surg. 2005;15:1469–75. CrossRef
- Melissas J, Daskalakis M, Koukouraki S, et al. Sleeve gastrectomy—a "food limiting" operation. Obes Surg. 2008;18:1251–6. CrossRef
- Melissas J, Koukouraki S, Askoxylakis J, et al. Sleeve gastrectomy: a restrictive procedure? Obes Surg. 2007;17:57–62. CrossRef
- Bernstine H, Tzioni-Yehoshua R, Groshar D, et al. Gastric emptying is not affected by sleeve gastrectomy—scintigraphic evaluation of gastric emptying after sleeve gastrectomy without removal of the gastric antrum. Obes Surg. 2009;19:293–8. CrossRef
- Yehoshua RT, Eidelman LA, Stein M, et al. Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy—volume and pressure assessment. Obes Surg. 2008;18:1083–8. CrossRef
- Braghetto I, Korn O, Valladares H, et al. Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy: surgical technique, indications and clinical results. Obes Surg. 2007;17:1442–50. CrossRef
- Arias E, Martínez PR, Ka Ming Li V, et al. Mid-term follow-up after sleeve gastrectomy as a final approach for morbid obesity. Obes Surg. 2009;5:544–8. CrossRef
- Stein HJ, DeMeester TR, Peters JH, et al. Technique, indications, and clinical use of ambulatory 24-hour gastric pH monitoring in a surgical practice. Surgery. 1994;116:758–67.
- Korn O, Csendes A, Burdiles P, et al. Anatomic dilatation of the cardia and competence of the lower esophageal sphincter: a clinical and experimental study. J Gastrointest Surg. 2000;4:398–406. CrossRef
- Klaus A, Weiss H. Is preoperative manometry in restrictive bariatric procedures necessary? Obes Surg. 2008;18:1039–42. CrossRef
- Balsinger BM, Murr MM, Mai J, et al. Gastroesophageal reflux after intact vertical banded gastroplasty: correction by conversion to Roux-en-Y gastric Bypass. J Gastrointest Surg. 2000;4:276–81. CrossRef
- Almogy G, Crookes PF, Anthone GJ. Longitudinal gastrectomy as a treatment for high risk super obese patients. Obes Surg. 2004;14:492–7. CrossRef
- Crookes PF. Management of severe reflux after sleeve gastrectomy 2nd Annual International Consensus Summit on Sleeve Gastrectomy (ICSSG) Miami. March 2009
- Nocca D, Krawczykowsky D, Bomans B, et al. A prospective multicenter study of 163 sleeve gastrectomies: results at 1 and 2 years. Obes Surg. 2008;18(5):560–5. CrossRef
- Nocca D, Jaussent A, Chauvert MA, et al. Improvement in quality of life after Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy. 2nd Annual International Consensus Summit on Sleeve Gastrectomy (ICSSG) Miami. March 2009
- Deitel M, Crosby RD, Gagner M. The First International Consensus Summit for Sleeve Gastrectomy (SG), Ney York City, October 25–27, 2007. Obes Surg. 2008;18:487–96. CrossRef
- Lee CM, Cirangle PT, Jossart GH. Vertical gastrectomy for morbid obesity in 216 patients: report of two years results. Surg Endosc. 2007;21:1810–6. CrossRef
- Akkary E, Duffy A, Bell R. Deciphering the sleeve: technique, indications, efficiency and safety of sleeve gastrectomy. Obes Surg. 2008;18:1323–9. CrossRef
- Fedenko V, Evdosshenko V. Antireflux sleeve gastroplasty: description of a novel technique. Obes Surg. 2007;17:820–4. CrossRef
- Santoro S. Technical aspects in sleeve gastrectomy. Obes Surg. 2007;17:1534–5. CrossRef
- Manometric Changes of the Lower Esophageal Sphincter After Sleeve Gastrectomy in Obese Patients
Volume 20, Issue 3 , pp 357-362
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Bariatric surgery
- Sleeve gastrectomy
- Industry Sectors