Assessment of the Application of the Intragastric Balloon Together with Sibutramine: A Prospective Clinical Study
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The aim of this study is the prospective evaluation of the results of Bioenterics intragastric balloon (BIB) with sibutramine and BIB placement alone in the treatment of obesity.
The patients evaluated between March 2006 and January 2007 and enrolled in this study were assessed in two groups as group A (BIB + sibutramine) and group B (BIB). After the follow-up of the patients for 6 months, body mass index (BMI), weight loss, excess weight loss (EWL%), and excess body mass index loss (EBMIL%) values of the patients in both groups were compared.
According to the comparison of the weights of the patients in groups A and B at 6 months with the beginning weights of the patients in both groups, there was statistically significant weight loss (p < 0.01). The total weight loss at 6 months in group A was statistically significantly higher than that in group B (p < 0.05). The patients in group A had a mean BMI 34.53 ± 6.63 kg/m2, EWL% 38.77 ± 11.88%, EBMIL% 49.93 ± 21.52% after 6 months; the patients in group B had a mean BMI 35.29 ± 6.36 kg/m2, EWL% 29.06 ± 17.82%, EBMIL% 36.51 ± 23.69% after 6 months. There was no statistically significant difference between group A and group B according to the BMI, EWL%, and EBMIL% values (p > 0.05).
In the management of obesity, using BIB together with sibutramine before the treatment in the patient group who are planned to have surgery, compared with using only BIB, provides more effective weight loss.
- Stumbo P, Hemingway D, Haynes W. Dietary and medical therapy of obesity. In: Livingston E, editor. Surg Clin North Am 2005;85:703–23.
- Ryan DH. Clinical use of sibutramine. Drugs Today 2004;401:41–54. CrossRef
- Genco A, Cipriano M, Bacci V et al. BioEnterics Intragastric Balloon (BIB): a short-term, double-blind, randomized, controlled, crossover study on weight reduction in morbidly obese patients. Int J Obes 2006;30:129–33. CrossRef
- Genco A, Bruni T, Doldi B et al. BioEnterics Intragastric Balloon: the Italian experience with 2515 patients. Obes Surg 2005;15:1161–4. CrossRef
- Coskun H, Aksakal C. Experience with sedation for intragastric balloon and removal. Obes Surg 2007;17:995–6. CrossRef
- Imaz I, Martinez-Cervell C, Garcia-Alvarez EE et al. Safety and effectiveness of the intragastric balloon for obesity. A meta-analysis. Obes Surg 2008; May 6 (Epub ahead of print).
- Weiner A, Gutberlet H, Bockborn H. Preparation of extremely obese patients for laparoscopic gastric banding by gastric balloon therapy. Obes Surg 1999;9:261–4. CrossRef
- De Waele B, Reynaert H, Urbain D et al. İntragastric balloons for preoperative weight reduction. Obes Surg 2000;10:58–60. CrossRef
- Loffredo A, Capuccio M, De Luca M et al. Three years experience with the new intragastric balon, and a preoperative test for success with restrictive surgery. Obes Surg 2001;11:330–3. CrossRef
- Doldi SB, Micheletto G, Perini MN et al. Treatment of morbid obesity with intragastric balloon in association with diet. Obes Surg 2002;12:583–7. CrossRef
- Bray GA, Ryan DH. Drug treatment and of the overweight patient. Gastroenterology 2007;132:2239–52. CrossRef
- Bray GA, Blackburn GL, Ferguson JM et al. Sıbutramine produces dose-related weight loss. Obes Res 1999;7:189–98.
- Li Z, Maglione M, Tu W et al. Meta-analysis: pharmacologic treatment of obesity. Ann Intern Med 2005;142:532–46.
- Wadden TA, Berkowitz RI, Womble LG et al. Randomized trial of lifestyle modification and pharmacotherapy for obesity. N Eng J Med 2005;353:2111–20. CrossRef
- Assessment of the Application of the Intragastric Balloon Together with Sibutramine: A Prospective Clinical Study
Volume 20, Issue 8 , pp 1117-1120
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Intragastric balloon
- Industry Sectors