Single Incision Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy (SILS): A Novel Technique
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy is an emerging bariatric procedure that typically necessitates five to seven small skin incisions to place five to seven trocars. The senior author (Saber) has developed a single umbilical incision approach to laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy.
Seven patients underwent single access transumbilical laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy between March 2008 and July 2008. The same surgeon performed all surgical interventions. The umbilicus was the sole point of entry for all patients, and the same operative technique and perioperative protocol were used in all patients.
A total of seven single-incision laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomies were performed. The procedure was successfully performed in all patients. Mean operating time was 125 min. None of the patients required conversion to an open procedure. There were no mortalities or postoperative complications noted during the mean follow-up period of 3.4 months.
Single-incision transumbilical laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy is safe, technically feasible, and reproducible.
- Regan JP, Inabnet WB, Gagner M, et al. Early experience with two-stage laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass as an alternative in the super-super obese patient. Obes Surg. 2003;13:861–4. CrossRef
- Deitel M, Crosby RD, Gagner M. The first international consensus summit for sleeve gastrectomy (SG), New York City, October 25–27, 2007. Obes Surg. 2008;18:487–96. CrossRef
- Mognol P, Chosidow D, Marmuse JP. Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy as an initial bariatric operation for high-risk patients: initial results in 10 patients. Obes Surg. 2005;15:1030–3. CrossRef
- Roa PE, Kaidar-Person O, Pinto D, et al. Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy as treatment for morbid obesity: technique and short-term outcome. Obes Surg. 2006;16:1323–6. CrossRef
- Rané A, Rao P, Rao P. Single-port-access nephrectomy and other laparoscopic urologic procedures using a novel laparoscopic port (R-Port). Urology. 2008 (in press).
- Goel RK, Kaouk JH. Single port access renal cryoablation (SPARC): a new approach. Eur Urol. 2008;53:1204–9. CrossRef
- Kaouk JH, Palmer JS. Single-port laparoscopic surgery: initial experience in children for varicocelectomy. BJU Int. 2008;102:97–9. CrossRef
- Kaouk JH, Haber GP, Goel RK, et al. Single-port laparoscopic surgery in urology: initial experience. Urology 2008;71:3–6. CrossRef
- Ponsky LE, Cherullo EE, Sawyer M, et al. Single access site laparoscopic radical nephrectomy: initial clinical experience. J Endourol. 2008;22:663–6. CrossRef
- Tagaya N, Rokkaku K, Kubota K. Needlescopic cholecystectomy versus needlescope-assisted laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Technol. 2007;17:375–9. CrossRef
- Shalaby R, Shams AM, Mohamed S, et al. Two-trocar needlescopic approach to incarcerated inguinal hernia in children. J Pediatr Surg. 2007;42:1259–62. CrossRef
- Liao CH, Chueh SC, Wu KD, et al. Laparoscopic partial adrenalectomy for aldosterone-producing adenomas with needlescopic instruments. Urology 2006;68:663–7. CrossRef
- Marks JM, Ponsky JL, Pearl JP, et al. PEG “Rescue”: a practical NOTES technique. Surg Endosc. 2007;21:816–9. CrossRef
- Zorrón R, Filgueiras M, Maggioni LC, et al. NOTES. Transvaginal cholecystectomy: report of the first case. Surg Innov. 2007;14:279–83. CrossRef
- Zorron R, Maggioni LC, Pombo L, et al. NOTES transvaginal cholecystectomy: preliminary clinical application. Surg Endosc. 2008;22:542–7. CrossRef
- Saber AA, Meslemani AM, Davis R, et al. Safety zones for anterior abdominal wall entry during laparoscopy: a CT scan mapping of epigastric vessels. Ann Surg. 2004;239:182–5. CrossRef
- Single Incision Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy (SILS): A Novel Technique
Volume 18, Issue 10 , pp 1338-1342
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Single-access surgery
- Single-port laparoscopy
- Single-incision laparoscopic surgery
- Sleeve gastrectomy
- Morbid obesity
- Bariatric surgery
- Industry Sectors