Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding in a Morbidly Obese 18-year-old with Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In this case report, we present an 18-year-old morbidly obese male with complicating hypertensive cardiomyopathy who underwent laparoscopic adjustable gastric band surgery. The patient had multiple comorbidities associated with his obesity, including obstructive sleep apnea, systemic hypertension, asthma, and depression. Given the severity of his underlying cardiac pathology and multiple previously unsuccessful attempts at weight loss with conventional medical and behavioral therapy, the patient opted to proceed with surgical intervention. We present this laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding surgical case to demonstrate the impact of surgical weight reduction on cardiac risk factors in a morbidly obese adolescent, highlighting the viability of this surgery for patients with existing cardiac dysfunction.
- Ogden CL, et al. Prevalence and trends in overweight among US children and adolescents, 1999–2000. JAMA 2002 Oct 9;288(14):1728–32. CrossRef
- Decklebaum RJ, Williams CL. Childhood obesity: the health issue. Obes Res 2001;9:S239–43. CrossRef
- Schwimmer, et al. Health related quality of life of severely obese children and adolescents. JAMA 2003 Apr 9;289(14):1813–9. CrossRef
- Pinhas-Hamiel O, et al. Health related quality of life among children and adolescents: associations with obesity. Int J Obes 2006;30:257–72. CrossRef
- Xanthakos S, et al. Bariatric surgery in adolescents: an update. Adolesc Med 2006;17:589–612.
- Kendrick ML, Dakin GF. Surgical approaches to obesity. Mayo Clin Proc 2006 Oct;81 10 Suppl:S18–24.
- Horgan S, et al. Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding for the treatment of adolescent morbid obesity in the United States: a safe alternative to gastric bypass. J Pediatr Surg 2005;40:86–91. CrossRef
- Inge T, et al. Surgical approach to adolescent obesity. Adolesc Med 2004;15:429–53. CrossRef
- Dolan, et al. Laparoscopic gastric banding in morbidly obese adolescents. Obes Surg 2003;13:101–4. CrossRef
- Angriasani L, Favretti F, et al. Obese teenagers treated by Lap-Band System: the Italian experience. Surgery 2005;138:877–81. CrossRef
- Inge T, et al. Bariatric surgery for severely overweight adolescents: concerns and recommendations. Pediatrics 2004 July;114(1):217–23. CrossRef
- Dolan K, Fielding G. A comparison of laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding in adolescents and adults. Surg Endosc 2004;18:45–7. CrossRef
- Nadler, et al. Short-term results in 53 US obese pediatric patients treated with laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding. J Pediatr Surg 2007;42:137–42. CrossRef
- Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding in a Morbidly Obese 18-year-old with Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
Volume 18, Issue 3 , pp 332-335
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Laparoscopic adjustable gastric band
- Beta natriuretic peptide
- Industry Sectors