Three-Year Results of Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass-on-Vertical Banded Gastroplasty: an Effective and Safe Procedure which Enables Endoscopy and X-Ray Study of the Stomach and Biliary Tract
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Cancer, perforation and bleeding in the bypassed stomach after RYGBP are rare but serious complications that require early diagnosis. Our goal was to perform a Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGBP) whereby the traditional endoscopic and x-ray study of the bypassed stomach was possible, and at the same time obtain a good weight loss, similar to the standard RYGBP. We developed the RYGBP-on-Vertical banded gastroplasty (RYGBP on VBG), where a GoretexTM band surrounds the gastro-gastric outlet.
From June 2002 to September 2005, 128 patients, 94 female and 34 male, with age 50.5 ±14.8 SD years, BMI 51.6 ±7.2 SD kg/m2, and %EW 117.9 ±33.5 SD underwent RYGBP on VBG via an open approach. Radiological and, if necessary, endoscopic study has been carried out at 6 months, 1 year and then annually postoperatively.
Two cases of anastomotic ulcer were detected, but no case of infection of the prosthetic material was found. Preoperative BMI fell from 51.6 ±7.2 to 38.1 ±6.6 after 6 months, to 35.0 ±7.1 after 1 year, to 34.4 ±6.1 after 2 years, and to 33.2 ±5.5 after 3 years.
RYGBP on VBG was effective; the weight loss curve, compared to standard RYGBP, is similar, while allowing the traditional x-ray and endoscopy of the bypassed stomach and thus the biliary tract.
- Macgregor AM, Pikens NE, Thoburn EK. Perforated peptic ulcer following gastric bypass for obesity. Am Surg 1999; 65: 222–5.
- Papasavas PK, Yeaney WW, Caushaj PF et al. Perforation in the bypassed stomach following laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Obes Surg 2003; 13: 797–99. CrossRef
- Mehran A, Szomstein S, Zundel N et al. Management of acute bleeding after laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Obes Surg 2003; 13: 842–7. CrossRef
- Nguyen NT, Rivers R, Wolfe BM. Early gastrointestinal hemorrahage after laparoscopic gastric bypass. Obes Surg 2003; 13: 62–5. CrossRef
- Spires WV, Morris DM. Bleeding duodenal ulcer after gastric bypass procedure for obesity. South Med J 1987; 80: 1325–6. CrossRef
- Printen Kj, LeFavre J, Alden J. Bleeding from the bypassed stomach following gastric bypass. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1983; 156: 65–6.
- Braley SC, Nguyen NT, Wolfe BM. Late gastrointestinal hemorrage after gastric bypass. Obes Surg 2002; 12: 404–7. CrossRef
- Lord RV, Edwards PD, Coleman MJ. Gastric cancer in the bypassed segment after operation for morbid obesity. Aust NZ J Surg 1997; 67: 580–2. CrossRef
- Khitin L, Roses RE, Birkett DH. Cancer in the gastric remnant after gastric bypass: a case report. Curr Surg 2003; 60: 521–3. CrossRef
- Raijman I, Strother SV, Donegan WL. Gastric cancer after gastric bypass for obesity: case report. J Clin Gastroenterol 1991; 13: 191–4. CrossRef
- Corsini DA, Simoneti CA, Moreira G et al. Cancer in the excluded stomach 4 years after Gastric Bypass. Obes Surg 2006; 16: 932–4. CrossRef
- DeRoover A, Detry O, De Leval L et al. Report of two cases of gastric cancer after bariatric surgery: lymphoma of the bypassed stomach after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and gastrointestinal stromal tumor (GIST) after vertical banded gastroplasty. Obes Surg 2006; 16: 928–31. CrossRef
- Escalona A, Guzman S, Ibanez L et al. Gastric cancer after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Obes Surg 2005; 15: 423–7. CrossRef
- Fobi M, Chicola K, Lee H. Access to the bypassed stomach after gastric bypass. Obes Surg 1998; 8: 289–95. CrossRef
- Cariani S, Vittimberga G, Grani S et al. Prospective study on functional Roux-en-Y gastric bypass to avoid gastric exlusion. Obes Surg 2002; 12: 469.
- Cariani S, Vittimberga G, Grani S et al. A functional Roux-en-Y gastric bypass to avoid gastric exclusion: 1-year results. Obes Surg 2003; 13: 788–91. CrossRef
- Cariani S, Lucchi A, Guerra M et al. Evolution of functional Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: from adjustable band to Gore-texTM band. Obes Surg 2004; 14: 471.
- Cariani S, Lucchi A, Guerra M et al. Two-year results of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass on vertical banded gastroplasty: an effective and safe bariatric operation. Obes Surg 2005; 15: 974.
- Cariani S, Palandri P, Faccani E et al. Roux-en-Y gastric bypass on vertical banded gastroplasty as a secondary operation: two Italian Hospitals’ surgical approach to restrictive procedure failures. Obes Surg 2005; 15: 974–5.
- Hunter R, Watts JM, Dunstan R. Revisional surgery for failed gastric restrictive procedures in morbid obestity. Obes Surg 1992; 2: 245–52. CrossRef
- Sapala JA, Bolar RJ, Bell J et al. Technical strategies for converting the failed vertical banded gastroplasty to the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Obes Surg 1993; 3: 400–9. CrossRef
- Salmon PA. Gastroplasty/distal gastric bypass: an operation producing excellent and prolonged weight loss in the super-obese. Obes Surg 1993; 3: 391–6. CrossRef
- Himpens MJ, Rogge F, Leman G et al. Laparoscopic inflatable band with Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Obes Surg 2001; 11: 528–31. CrossRef
- Gustavsson S, Sundbom M. Excellent weight result after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass in spite of gastro-gastric fistula. Obes Surg 2003; 13: 457–9. CrossRef
- Stanczyk M, Deveney C, Traxler SA et al. Gastro-gastric fistula in the era of divided Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: strategies for prevention, diagnosis, and management. Obes Surg 2006; 16: 359–64. CrossRef
- D’Hondt M, Vansteenkiste F, Van Rooy F et al. Gastrogastric fistula after gastric bypass — Is surgery always needed? Obes Surg 2006; 16: 1548–51. CrossRef
- Capella RF, Capella JF. Reducing early technical complications in gastric bypass surgery. Obes Surg 1997; 7:149–57. CrossRef
- Fobi MAL, Lee H, Igwe D Jr et al. Prospective comparative evaluation of stapled versus transected silastic ring gastric bypass: 6-year follow up. Obes Surg 2001; 11:18–24. CrossRef
- Cummings DE, Weigle DS, Scott Frayo R et al. Plasma ghrelin levels after diet induced weight loss or gastric bypass surgery. N Engl J Med 2002; 346: 1623–30. CrossRef
- De Roover A, Detry O, Desaive C et al. Risk of upper gastrointestinal cancer after bariatric operations. Obes Surg 2006; 16: 1656–61 CrossRef
- Ross AS, Semrad C, Alverdy J et al. Use of doubleballoon enteroscopy to perform PEG in the excluded stomach after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Gastrointest Endosc 2006; 64: 797–800. CrossRef
- May A, Nachbar L, Ell C. Double-balloon enteroscopy (push-and-pull enteroscopy) of the small bowel: feasibility and diagnostic and therapeutic yield in patients with suspected small bowel disease. Gastrointest Endosc 2005; 62: 62–70. CrossRef
- Wright BE, Cass OW, Freeman ML. ERCP in patients with long-limb Roux-en-Y gastrojejunostomy and intact papilla. Gastrointest Endosc 2002; 56: 225–32. CrossRef
- Three-Year Results of Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass-on-Vertical Banded Gastroplasty: an Effective and Safe Procedure which Enables Endoscopy and X-Ray Study of the Stomach and Biliary Tract
Volume 17, Issue 10 , pp 1312-1318
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Morbid obesity
- Roux-en-Y gastric bypass
- bariatric surgery
- gastric perforation
- gastric cancer
- complications of surgery
- X-ray study bypassed stomach
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Dipartimento Emergenza/Urgenza, Chirurgia Generale e dei Trapianti, Azienda Ospedaliero-Universitaria di Bologna, Bologna, Italia
- 3. Dipartimento Emergenza/Urgenza, Chirurgia Generale e dei Trapianti, Policlinico S.Orsola-Malpighi, Via Massarenti, 9, 40138, Bologna, Italia
- 2. Unità Operativa semplice di Terapia Chirurgica dell’Obesità Patologica, Azienda Ospedaliero-Universitaria di Bologna, Bologna, Italia