Effects of sludge on germination and initial growth performance of Leucaena leucocephala seedlings in the nursery
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A study was carried out to determine the influence of different types of sludges (municipal, industrial and residential) on field germination, growth and nodulation of L. leucocephala seedlings in the nursery. Before sowing of seeds, different combinations of sludges were incorporated with the nutrient deficient natural forest soils. Field germination, nodulation status and physical growth parameters of seedlings (shoot and root length, vigor index, collar diameter, leaf number, fresh and dry weight of shoot and root and total dry biomass increment) were recorded after three and six months of seed sowing. Field germination, nodulation status and growth parameters were varied significantly in the soil amended with sludges in comparison to control. The highest number of nodule was recorded from soil amended with residential sludge (1:1) and highest fresh and dry nodule weight was also found from the same combination in both three and six month old seedlings. In case of growth parameters, the highest growth was recorded from soil and residential sludge (1:1) combination compared to control. From the study, it can be recommended that soil amended with residential sludge (1:1) provide better field germination, growth and nodule formation of L. leucocephala in degraded soil.
- Alam, M.A., Matin, M.A., Hoque, M.M. and Hoque, A.T.M.R. 2004. Growth performance of Ipil ipil (Leucaena leucocephala (Lam) de Wit.) under different conditions at nursery stage in Bangladesh. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences, 7(6): 1062–1069. CrossRef
- Anonymous, 1980. Firewood crops: Shrubs and Tree Species for Energy Production. Washington, D.C.: National Academy of Sciences.
- Bates, T.E., Lane, T.H. and Frank, R. 1979. How and where to use sewage sludge in crop production. In: C. P. Mitchell (ed.), Nutrient Relations in Short Rotation Forestry. Forestry Research Paper, pp. 98–128.
- Byrom, K.L. and Bradshaw, A.D. 2001. The potential value of sewage sludge in land reclamation. In: J. E. Hall (ed.), Alternative Uses for Sewage Sludge. Proceedings of a conference organised by WRc Medmenham and held at the University of York, UK on 5–7 September 1989, pp. 1–20.
- Cole, D.W., Henry, C.L., Schiess, P. and Zasoski, R.J. 1983. The role of forest in sludge and wastewater utilization programs. In: A. L. Page, T. L. Gleason III, J. E. Smith, Jr., I. K. Iskander and L. E. Sommers (eds.), Proc. of the 1983 Workshop on Utilization of Municipal Wastewater and Sludge on Land. University of California, Riverside, pp. 125–143.
- Das, S., Jones, N. and Islam, M.A. 1985. Research trials on Ipil ipil in Bangladesh. Banobiggyan Patrika, 14: 1–2. (in Bengali).
- Duke, J.A. 1981. Handbook of Legumes of World Economic Importance. Plenum Press, New York.
- Gardiner, D.T., Miller, R.W., Badamchian, B., Azzari, A.S. and Sisson, D.R. 1995. Effects of repeated sewage sludge application on plant accumulation of heavy metals. Agri. Ecosyst. Environ, 55: 1–6. CrossRef
- Hossain, M.K. and Miller, H.G. 1994. Sewage sludge fertilization in forest ecosystem. The Malaysian Forester, 57-4.
- Hue, N.V. 1995. Sewage sludge. In: Rechcigl, J.E. (Ed.), Soil Amendments and Environmental Quality. Lewis Publishers, Boca Raton, FL, pp. 199–247.
- Jorba, M. and Andres, P. 2000. Effects of sewage sludge on the establishment of the herbaceous ground cover after soil restoration. J. Soil Water Conserv, 3: 322–326.
- Khan, B.M., Mridha, M.A.U., Hossain, M.K. and Xu, H.L. 2002. Nursery practice of growth on Ipil ipil [Leucaena leucocephala (Lam) de Wit.] by using beneficial microbial inoculant (Effective Microorganisms). Nature Farming and Environment, 3(1): 15–22.
- Kulling, D., Stadelmann, F. and Herter, U. 2001. Sewage Sludge-Fertilizer or Waste? UKWIR Conference, Brussels.
- Labrecque, M., Teodorescu, T.I. and Daigle, S. 2006. Effect of wastewater sludge on growth and heavy metal bioaccumulation of two Salix species. Plant and Soil, 171(2): 303–316. CrossRef
- Logan, T.J. and Chaney, R.L. 1983. Utilization of municipal wastewaters and sludge on land-metals. In: Proceedings of the Workshop on Utilization of Municipal Wastewater and Sludge on Land, Denver, CO, pp. 235–323.
- Logan, T.J. and Harrison, B.J. 1995. Physical characteristics of alkaline stabilized sewage sludge (N-vitro soil) and their effects on soil properties. J. Environ. Qual, 24: 153–164. CrossRef
- Luna, R.K. 1996. Plantation Trees. International Book Distributors. Dehra Dun, India. 975 pp.
- Merzlaya, G.E., Zyabcina, G.A., Nesterovich, I.A., Fomcina, T.P. 1995. Agroecologicheskaya ocenka ispolsovaniya osagkov stochnych vod. Agrochimiya, 5: 92–96 (in Russian).
- Osman, K.T., Rahman, M.M. and Barua, P. 2001. Effects of some forest tree species on soil properties in Chittagong University Campus, Bangladesh. Indian Forester, 127(4): 431–442.
- Peles, J.D., Brewer, S.R. and Barrett, G.W. 1996. Metal uptake by agricultural plant species grown in sludge-amended soil following ecosystem restoration practices. Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol, 57: 917–923. CrossRef
- Ramachandran, V. and D’ Soura, T.J. 1998. Plant uptake of cadmium, zinc, and manganese in soils amended with sewage sludge and city compost. Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol, 61: 347–354. CrossRef
- Riha, S.J., Naylor, L. and Senesac, G.P. 1983. Hybrid poplar production using municipal sewage sludge as a fertilizer resource. New York State Energy Research and Development Activity. 11 pp.
- Sa’nchez-Monedero, M.A., Mondini, C., De Nobili, M., Leita, L., Roig, A. 2004. Land applications of biosolids. Soil response to different stabilization degree or treated organic matter. Waste Management, 24(4): 325–332. CrossRef
- Selivanovskaya, S.Yu., Latypova, V.Z., Naumova, R.P., Ravzieva, G.M. 1997. On the possibility of involvement of microelements of sewage sludge into biogeochemical circulation. Environ. Radioecol. Appl. Ecol, 1: 13–19.
- Selivanovskaya, S.Yu and Latypova, V.Z. 1999. Nekotorye aspecty normirovaniya kachestva i utulizazii osadkov stochnich vod. Ecologicheskaya Chimiya, 8(2): 119–129 (in Russian).
- Selivanovskaya, S.Yu and Latypova, V.Z. 2006. Effects of composted sewage sludge on microbial biomass, activity and pine seedlings in nursery forest. Waste Management, 26:1253–1258. CrossRef
- Sing, R.P. and Agrawal, M. 2007. Potential benefits and risks of land application of sewage sludge. Waste Management, In Press.
- Van den Berg, J.J. 1993. Effects of sewage sludge disposal. Land Degrad. Rehabil, 4: 407–413. CrossRef
- Wu, Q.T., Hei, L., Wong, J.W., Schwartz, C. and Morel J.L. 2007. Co-cropping for phyto-separation of zinc and potassium from sewage sludge. Chemosphere, In press
- Effects of sludge on germination and initial growth performance of Leucaena leucocephala seedlings in the nursery
Journal of Forestry Research
Volume 18, Issue 3 , pp 226-230
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Northeast Forestry University and Ecological Society of China
- Additional Links
- Leucaena leucocephala
- Field germination
- Seedling growth
- Vigor index