- Jacob M. Appel
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Chemical castration laws, such as one recently adopted in the U.S. State of Louisiana, raise challenging ethical concerns for physicians. Even if such interventions were to prove efficacious, which is far from certain, they would still raise troubling concerns regarding the degree of medical risk that may be imposed upon prisoners in the name of public safety as well as the appropriate role for physicians and other health care professionals in the administration of pharmaceuticals to competent prisoners over the inmates’ unequivocal objections. This paper argues that the concerns raised by chemical castration are grave enough that, until they are adequately addressed by policymakers, physicians ought not to participate in the process.
- Act 441 of the Louisiana Legislature, 2008. SB 144.
- Almeida, O.P., and A. Waterreus. 2004. One year follow-up study of the association between chemical castration, sex hormones, beta-amyloid, memory and depression in men. Psychoneuroendocrinology 29(8): 1071–1081. CrossRef
- Appel, J.M. 2003. The forcible treatment of criminal defendants. Medicine & Health Rhode Island 86(11): 367–369.
- Appel, J.M. 2011. Capital punishment, psychiatrists and the potential “bottleneck” of competence. Journal of Law and Health 24(1): 45–78.
- Berlin, J. 1997. Chemical castration of sex offenders: “A shot in the arm” towards rehabilitation. Whittier Law Review 19(1): 169–213.
- Berlin, F.S., and C.F. Meinecke. 1981. Treatment of sex offenders with antiandrogenic medication: Conceptualization, review of treatment modalities, and preliminary findings. The American Journal of Psychiatry 138(5): 601–607.
- Boodman, S.G. 1992. Does castration stop sex crimes? An old punishment gains new attention, but experts doubt its value. The Washington Post, March 17, 7.
- Bund, J.M. 1997. Did you say chemical castration? University of Pittsburgh Law Review 59(1): 157–192.
- Cundy, T., J. Cornish, M.C. Evans, H. Roberts, and I.R. Reid. 1994. Recovery of bone density in women who use medroxyprogesterone acetate. British Medical Journal 308(6923): 247–248. CrossRef
- Gostin, L.O. 2003. Compulsory medical treatment: The limits of bodily integrity. The Hastings Center Report 33(5): 11–12. CrossRef
- Harrison, K. 2007. The high risk sex offender strategy in England and Wales: Is chemical castration an option? The Howard Journal of Criminal Justice 46(1): 16–31. CrossRef
- Helscher, D. 1994. Griswold v. Connecticut and the unenumerated right of privacy. Northern Illinois University Law Review 15(1): 33–62.
- Hilts, P.J. 1992. Panel urges contraceptives approval. The New York Times, June 20, 1992 6.
- Scholes, D., A.Z. LaCroix, L.E. Ichikawa, W.E. Barlow, and S.M. Ott. 2005. Change in bone mineral density among adolescent women using and discontinuing depot medroxyprogesterone acetate contraception. Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine 159(2): 139–144. CrossRef
- Slater, D. 2008. The judge says don’t get pregnant. A lapsed law now sees new life. The Wall Street Journal, September 25, A18.
- Spalding, L.H. 1998. Florida’s chemical castration law: A return to the Dark Ages. Florida State University Law Review 25: 117–139.
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. 2004. Black box warning added concerning long-term use of Depo-Provera contraceptive injection. FDA Talk Paper T04-50, November 17.
- Veitch, A. 1984. Cancer fears in US over Depo Provera. The Guardian, October 30, 4.
- White, P., C. Bradley, M. Ferriter, and L. Hatzipetrou. 2009. Managements for people with disorders of sexual preference and for convicted sexual offenders. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 4. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD000251.
- Castration Anxiety
Journal of Bioethical Inquiry
Volume 9, Issue 1 , pp 85-91
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Sex crimes
- Industry Sectors
- Jacob M. Appel (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. 140 Claremont Ave #3D, New York, NY, 10027, USA