Melatonin inhibits the expression of vascular endothelial growth factor in pancreatic cancer cells
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To investigate the effects of melatonin on cellular proliferation and endogenous vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) expression in pancreatic carcinoma cells (PANC-1).
PANC-1 cells were cultured for this study. The secreted VEGF concentration in the culture medium was determined using ELISA method, VEGF production in the tumor cells was detected by immunocytochemistry, and VEGF mRNA expression was determined by RT-PCR.
Higher melatonin concentrations significantly inhibited cellular proliferation, with 1 mmol/ L concentration exhibiting the highest inhibitory effect (P<0.01). VEGF concentrations in the cell culture supernatants and intra-cellules were all significantly reduced after melatonin (1 mmol/L) incubation (P<0.05). VEGF mRNA expression decreased markedly in a time-dependent manner during the observation period (P<0.05).
High melatonin concentrations markedly inhibited the proliferation of pancreatic carcinoma cells. The endogenous VEGF expression was also suppressed by melatonin incubation.
- Schönau KK, Steger GG, Mader RM. Angiogenic effect of naive and 5-fluorouracil resistant colon carcinoma on endothelial cells in vitro. Cancer Lett 2007;257:73–78. CrossRef
- Niedergethmann M, Alves F, Neff JK, et al. Gene expression profiling of liver metastases and tumour invasion in pancreatic cancer using an orthotopic SCID mouse model. Br J Cancer 2007;97:1432–1440. CrossRef
- Xie K, Wei D, Huang S. Transcriptional anti-angiogenesis therapy of human pancreatic cancer. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev 2006;17:147–156. CrossRef
- Thurston G, Kitajewski J. VEGF and Delta-Notch: interacting signalling pathways in tumour angiogenesis. Br J Cancer 2008;99:1204–1209. CrossRef
- Doi Y, Yashiro M, Yamada N, et al. Significance of phosphovascular endothelial growth factor receptor-2 expression in pancreatic cancer. Cancer Sci 2010;101:1529–1535. CrossRef
- Liang QL, Wang BR, Chen GQ, et al. Clinical significance of vascular endothelial growth factor and connexin43 for predicting pancreatic cancer clinicopathologic parameters. Med Oncol 2010;27:1164–1170. CrossRef
- Li K, Li MJ, He T, et al. Expression of vascular endothelial growth factor C in pancreatic cancer and its effect upon lymph node metastasis. Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 2009;89:2386–2390.
- Ochi N, Matsuo Y, Sawai H, et al. Vascular endothelial growth factor-C secreted by pancreatic cancer cell line promotes lymphatic endothelial cell migration in an in vitro model of tumor lymphangiogenesis. Pancreas 2007;34:444–451. CrossRef
- Reiter RJ. Mechanisms of cancer inhibition by melatonin. J Pineal Res 2004;37:213–214. CrossRef
- Sainz RM, Mayo JC, Rodriguez C, et al. Melatonin and cell death: differential actions on apoptosis in normal and cancer cells. Cell Mol Life Sci 2003;60:1407–1426. CrossRef
- Cabrera J, Negrín G, Estévez F, et al. Melatonin decreases cell proliferation and induces melanogenesis in human melanoma SK-MEL-1 cells. J Pineal Res 2010;49:45–54.
- Lissoni P, Rovelli F, Malugani F, et al. Anti-angiogenic activity of melatonin in advanced cancer patients. Neuro Endocrinol Lett 2001;22:45–47.
- Dai M, Cui P, Yu M, et al. Melatonin modulates the expression of VEGF and HIF-1 alpha induced by CoCl2 in cultured cancer cells. J Pineal Res 2008;44:121–126. CrossRef
- Folkman J. Angiogenesis in cancer, vascular, rheumatoid and other disease. Nat Med 1995;1:27–31. CrossRef
- Cook KM, Figg WD. Angiogenesis inhibitors: current strategies and future prospects. CA Cancer J Clin 2010;60:222–243. CrossRef
- Carmeliet P, Jain RK. Angiogenesis in cancer and other diseases. Nature 2000;407:249–257. CrossRef
- Carmeliet P. VEGF as a key mediator of angiogenesis in cancer. Oncology 2005;69Suppl 3:4–10. CrossRef
- Gupta MK, Qin RY. Mechanism and its regulation of tumor-induced angiogenesis. World J Gastroenterol 2003;9:1144–1155.
- Saif MW. Anti-angiogenesis therapy in pancreatic carcinoma. JOP 2006;7:163–173.
- Turner HE, Harris AL, Melmed S, et al. Angiogenesis in endocrine tumors. Endocr Rev 2003;24:600–632. CrossRef
- Reiter RJ, Tan DX, Erren TC, et al. Light-mediated perturbations of circadian timing and cancer risk: a mechanistic analysis. Integr Cancer Ther 2009;8:354–360. CrossRef
- Carrillo-Vico A, Guerrero JM, Lardone PJ, et al. A review of the multiple actions of melatonin on the immune system. Endocrine 2005;27:189–200. CrossRef
- Carbajo-Pescador S, García-Palomo A, Martín-Renedo J, et al. Melatonin modulation of intracellular signaling pathways in hepatocarcinoma HepG2 cell line: role of the MT1 receptor. J Pineal Res 2011;51:463–471. CrossRef
- Vijayalaxmi, Thomas CR Jr, Reiter RJ, et al. Melatonin: from basic research to cancer treatment clinics. J Clin Oncol 2002;20:2575–2601. CrossRef
- Cui P, Luo Z, Zhang H, et al. Effect and mechanism of melatonin’s action on the proliferation of human umbilical vein endothelial cells. J Pineal Res 2006;41:358–362. CrossRef
- Cui P, Yu M, Luo Z, et al. Intracellular signaling pathways involved in cell growth inhibition of human umbilical vein endothelial cells by melatonin. J Pineal Res 2008;44:107–114.
- Di Nicola M, Anichini A, Mortarini R, et al. Human dendritic cells: natural adjuvants in antitumor immunotherapy. Cytokines Cell Mol Ther 1998;4:265–273.
- Silva SO, Ximenes VF, Livramento JA, et al. High concentrations of the melatonin metabolite, N1-acetyl-N2-formyl-5-methoxykynuramine, in cerebrospinal fluid of patients with meningitis: a possible immunomodulatory mechanism. J Pineal Res 2005;39:302–306. CrossRef
- Sutherland ER, Martin RJ, Ellison MC, et al. Immunomodulatory effects of melatonin in asthma. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2002;166:1055–1061. CrossRef
- Cho SY, Lee HJ, Jeong SJ, et al. Sphingosine kinase 1 pathway is involved in melatonin-induced HIF-1α inactivation in hypoxic PC-3 prostate cancer cells.J Pineal Res 2011;51:87–93. CrossRef
- Zhang D, Li B, Shi J, et al. Suppression of tumor growth and metastasis by simultaneously blocking vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF)-A and VEGF-C with a receptor-immunoglobulin fusion protein. Cancer Res 2010;70:2495–2503. CrossRef
- Cui P, Yu M, Peng X, et al. Melatonin prevents human pancreatic carcinoma cell PANC-1-induced human umbilical vein endothelial cell proliferation and migration by inhibiting vascular endothelial growth factor expression. J Pineal Res 2012;52:236–243. CrossRef
- Pawlikowski M, Winczyk K, Karasek M. Oncostatic action of melatonin: facts and question marks. Neuro Endocrinol Lett 2002;23:24–29.
- García-Santos G, Antolín I, Herrera F, et al. Melatonin induces apoptosis in human neuroblastoma cancer cells. J Pineal Res 2006;41:130–135. CrossRef
- Weinreb O, Mandel S, Youdim MB. cDNA gene expression profile homology of antioxidants and their antiapoptotic and proapoptotic activities in human neuroblastoma cells. FASEB J 2003;17:935–937.
- Melatonin inhibits the expression of vascular endothelial growth factor in pancreatic cancer cells
Chinese Journal of Cancer Research
Volume 24, Issue 4 , pp 310-316
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Chinese Anti-Cancer Association
- Additional Links
- pancreatic cancer