Superior thermal barrier coatings using solution precursor plasma spray
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A novel process, solution precursor plasma spray (SPPS), is presented for depositing thermal barrier coatings (TBCs), in which aqueous chemical precursors are injected into a standard direct current plasma spray system. The resulting coatings microstructure has three unique features: (1) ultra fine splats (1 µm), (2) nanometer and micron-sized interconnected porosity, and (3) closely spaced, through-thickness cracks. Coatings over 3 mm thick can be readily deposited using the SPPS process. Coating durability is excellent, with SPPS coatings showing, in furnace cycling tests, 2.5 times the spallation life of air plasma coatings (APS) and 1.5 times the life of electron beam physical vapor deposited (EB-PVD) coatings. The conductivity of SPPS coatings is lower than EB-PVD coatings and higher than the best APS coatings. Manufacturing cost is expected to be similar to APS coatings and much lower than EB-PVD coatings. The SPPS deposition process includes droplet break-up and material arriving at the deposition surface in various physical states ranging from aqueous solution, gel phase, to fully-molten ceramic. The relation between the arrival state of the material and the microstructure is described.
- N. Padture, M. Gell, and E.H. Jordan: “Thermal Barrier Coatings For Gas-Turbine Engine Applications,” Science, 296(5566), p. 280.
- Evans, A.G., Mumm, D.R., Hutchison, J.W., Meier, G.H., Pettit, F.S. (2001) Mechanisms Controlling the Durability of Thermal Barrier Coatings. Prog. Mater. Sci. 46: pp. 505-53 CrossRef
- Boulos, M., Pfender, E. (1996) Materials Processing With Thermal Plasmas. MRS Bull. 21: pp. 65-65
- Karthikeyan, J., Berndt, C.C., Reddy, S., Wang, J-Y., King, A.H., Herman, H. (1998) Nanomaterial Deposits Formed by DC Plasma Spraying of Liquid Feedstocks. J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 81: pp. 121-121 CrossRef
- Parkukuttyamma, S.D., Margolis, J., Liu, H., Grey, C.P., Sampath, S., Herman, H., Parise, J.B. (2001) Yttrium Aluminum Garnet (YAG) Films Through a Precursor Plasma Spraying Technique. J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 84: pp. 1906-1906 CrossRef
- Bouyer, E., Schiller, G., Muller, M., Henne, R.H. (2001) Characterization of SiC and Si3N4 Coatings Synthesized by Means of Inductive Thermal Plasma From Disilane Precursors. Appl. Oganomet. Chem. 15: pp. 833-833 CrossRef
- Padture, N.P., Schlichting, K.W., Bhatia, T., Ozturk, A., Cetegen, B., Jordan, E.H., Gell, M., Jiang, S., Xiao, T.D., Strutt, P.R., Garcia, E., Miranzo, P., Osendi, M.I. (2001) Towards Durable Thermal Barrier Coatings with Novel Microstructres Deposited by Solution-Precursor Plasma Spray. Acta Mater. 49: pp. 2251-2251 CrossRef
- Bhatia, T., Ozturk, A., Xie, L., Jordan, E., Cetegen, B., Gell, M., Ma, X., Padture, N. (2002) Mechanisms of Ceramic Coating Deposition in Solution-Precursor Plasma Spray. J. Mater. Res. 17: pp. 2363-2363
- L. Xie, X. Ma, E.H. Jordan, N.P. Padture, T.D. Xiao, and M. Gell: “Identification of Coating Deposition Mechanisms in the Solution-Precursor Plasma-Spray Process using Model Spray Experiments,” Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 2003, in press.
- A. Ozturk and B.M. Cetegen: “Plasma Assisted Deposition of Nanostructured Yttria Stabilized Zirconia Coatings from Liquid Precursors” in Chemical and Physical Processes of Combustion: The 2001 Technical Meeting of Eastern States Section of Combustion Institute, Hilton Head, SC, 2001, pp. 304–07.
- L. Xie, X. Ma, E.H. Jordan, N.P. Padture, T.D. Xiao, and M. Gell: “Deposition of Thermal Barrier Coatings Using the Solution Precursor Plasma Spray Process,” J. Mater. Sci. Technol., 2003, in press.
- Shafiro, B., Kachanov, M. (2000) Anisotropic Effective Conductivity of Materials With Non-Randomly Oriented Inclusions of Diverse Ellipsoidal Shapes. J. Appl. Phys. 87: pp. 8561-69 CrossRef
- A. Ozturk and B.M. Cetegen: “Nucleation of Zirconia in a Droplet Stream of Liquid Precursor Processed by Flat Premixed Flame,” Paper No. F21. The Third Joint Technical Meeting of the U. S. Sections of the Combustion Institute, Chicago, IL, March 17–19, 2003.
- Semenov, S.Y., Cetegen, B.M. (2001) Spectroscopic Temperature Measurements in DC-Arc Plasma Jets Utilized in Thermal Spray Processing Of Materials. J. Therm. Spray Technol. 10: pp. 326-326 CrossRef
- S.Y. Semenov: “Experimental Diagnostics and Modeling of Thermal Spray Deposition Processes of Nano-structured Wear Resistant and Thermal Barrier Coatings,” Doctor of Philosophy Thesis, University of Connecticut (2002).
- Superior thermal barrier coatings using solution precursor plasma spray
Journal of Thermal Spray Technology
Volume 13, Issue 1 , pp 57-65
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- solution precursor plasma spray
- thermal barrier coatings
- Industry Sectors