Impact of Isothermal Aging on Long-Term Reliability of Fine-Pitch Ball Grid Array Packages with Sn-Ag-Cu Solder Interconnects: Surface Finish Effects
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The interaction between isothermal aging and the long-term reliability of fine-pitch ball grid array (BGA) packages with Sn-3.0Ag-0.5Cu (wt.%) solder ball interconnects was investigated. In this study, 0.4-mm fine-pitch packages with 300-μm-diameter Sn-Ag-Cu solder balls were used. Two different package substrate surface finishes were selected to compare their effects on the final solder composition, especially the effect of Ni, during thermal cycling. To study the impact on thermal performance and long-term reliability, samples were isothermally aged and thermally cycled from 0°C to 100°C with 10 min dwell time. Based on Weibull plots for each aging condition, package lifetime was reduced by approximately 44% by aging at 150°C. Aging at 100°C showed a smaller impact but similar trend. The microstructure evolution was observed during thermal aging and thermal cycling with different phase microstructure transformations between electrolytic Ni/Au and organic solderability preservative (OSP) surface finishes, focusing on the microstructure evolution near the package-side interface. Different mechanisms after aging at various conditions were observed, and their impacts on the fatigue lifetime of solder joints are discussed.
- J. Glazer, Int. Mater. Rev. 40, 65 (1995).
- H.K. Kim and K.N. Tu, Phys. Rev. B 53, 16027 (1996). CrossRef
- J. Glazer, J. Electron. Mater. 23, 8 (1994). CrossRef
- W. Xie, T.-K. Lee, K.-C. Liu, and J. Xue, IEEE 60th Electronic Components and Technology Conference (ECTC) (Las Vegas, NV, June 2010).
- H.G. Song, J.W. Morris Jr., and F. Hua, JOM 56, 30 (2002). CrossRef
- K.W. Moon, W.J. Boettinger, U.R. Kattner, F.S. Biancaniello, and C.A. Handwerker, J. Electron. Mater. 29, 1122 (2000). CrossRef
- D.R. Frear and P.T. Vianco, Metall. Trans. A 25A, 1509 (1994). CrossRef
- W.K. Choi and H.M. Lee, J. Electron. Mater. 29, 10 (2000). CrossRef
- A.J. Sunwoo, J.W. Morris Jr., and G.K. Lucey Jr., Metall. Trans. A 23A, 1323 (1992).
- Z. Mei and J.W. Morris, J. Electron. Mater. 21, 599 (1992). CrossRef
- F. Bartels, J.W. Morris Jr., G. Dalke, and W. Gust, J. Electron. Mater. 23, 787 (1994). CrossRef
- H. Ma, T.-K. Lee, D.H. Kim, S.H. Kim, H.G. Park, and K.-C. Liu, IEEE 59th Electronic Components and Technology Conference (ECTC) (San Diego, May 2009).
- H. Ma, J.C. Suhling, P. Lall, and M.J. Bozack, Proceeding of the 56th Electronic Components and Technology Conference (San Diego, California, May 2006).
- C.-Y. Yu, T.-K. Lee, M. Tsai, K.-C. Liu, and J.-G. Duh, J. Electron. Mater., this volume (2010).
- T.-K. Lee, K.-C. Liu, and T.R. Bieler, J. Electron. Mater. 38, 2685 (2009). CrossRef
- T.R. Bieler, T.-K. Lee, and K.-C. Liu, J. Electron. Mater. 38, 2712 (2009). CrossRef
- B. Zhou, T.R. Bieler, T.-K. Lee, and K.-C. Liu, J. Electron. Mater. 38, 2702 (2009). CrossRef
- T. Laurila, V. Vuorinen, and J.K. Kivilahti, Mater. Sci. Eng. R 49, 1 (2005). CrossRef
- Impact of Isothermal Aging on Long-Term Reliability of Fine-Pitch Ball Grid Array Packages with Sn-Ag-Cu Solder Interconnects: Surface Finish Effects
Journal of Electronic Materials
Volume 39, Issue 12 , pp 2564-2573
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Pb-free solder
- isothermal aging
- Ni/Au surface finish
- OSP surface finish
- Industry Sectors