Thermal behavior of silver nanoparticles for low-temperature interconnect applications
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Low-temperature sintering behavior of Ag nanoparticles was investigated. The nano Ag particles used (∼20 nm) exhibited obvious sintering behavior at significantly lower temperatures (∼150°C) than the Tm (960°C) of silver. Coalescence of the nano Ag particles was observed by sintering the particles at 150°C, 200°C, and 250°C. The thermal profile of the nanoparticles was examined by a differential scanning calorimeter (DSC) and a thermogravimetric analyzer (TGA). Shrinkage of the Ag-nanoparticle compacts during the sintering process was observed by thermomechanical analysis (TMA). Sintering of the nanoparticle pellet led to a significant increase in density and electrical conductivity. The size of the sintered particles and the crystallite size of the particles increased with increasing sintering temperature.
- J.C. Jagt, P.J.M. Beris, and G.F.C.M. Lijten, IEEE Trans. CPMT 18, 292 (1995).
- D. Lu, Q.K. Tong, and C.P. Wong, IEEE Trans. CPMT, Part C 22, 223 (1999).
- K.S. Moon, C. Rockett, C. Kretz, W.F. Burgoyne, and C.P. Wong, J. Adhes. Sci. Technol. 17, 1785 (2003). CrossRef
- L. Allen, R.A. Bayles, W.W. Gile, and W.A. Jesser, Thin Solid Films 144, 297 (1986). CrossRef
- M.S. Daw and M.I. Baskes, Phys. Rev. B 29, 6443 (1984). CrossRef
- M.S. Daw and M.I. Baskes, Phys. Rev. Lett. 50, 1285 (1983). CrossRef
- M. Oda, T. Abe, T. Suzuki, N. Saito, H. Iwashige, and G. Kutluk, Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. 704, 3 (2002).
- C.P. Wong, K.S. Moon, and Y. Li, Georgia Tech. Corp. Invention Disclosure 2003, U.S. patent pending.
- H. Dong, K.S. Moon, and C.P. Wong, J. Electron. Mater. 33, 1326 (2004). CrossRef
- A.T. Hunt, W.B. Carter, and J.K. Cochran, Jr., Appl. Phys. Lett. 63, 266 (1993). CrossRef
- Thermal behavior of silver nanoparticles for low-temperature interconnect applications
Journal of Electronic Materials
Volume 34, Issue 2 , pp 168-175
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Silver nanoparticles
- thermal behavior
- melting point depression
- low-temperature interconnect
- Industry Sectors