Density measurement of Sn-40Pb, Sn-57Bi, and Sn-9Zn by indirect Archimedean method
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
By the indirect Archimedean method, the density and the density-temperature relationship of the Sn-40Pb eutectic alloy and two Pb-free solders, Sn-57Bi and Sn-9Zn eutectic alloys, were measured from room temperature to about 250°C. The results showed that the density-temperature dependence for each alloy in both solid and melting states can be fitted linearly as ρS(Sn-40Pb)=8.51−8.94×10−4(T−25°C), ρL(Sn-40Pb)=8.15−13.8×10−4(T−Tm); ρS(Sn-57Bi)=8.54−5.86 × 10−4(T−25°C), ρL(Sn-57Bi)=8.51−10.9×10−4(T−Tm); and ρs(Sn-9Zn)=7.22−7.78×10−4(T−25°C), ρL(Sn-9Zn)=6.89−5.88×10 −4(T−Tm), where the density unit was g/cm3. At the melting point, density of the melt of these solders is 8.15 g/cm3, 8.51 g/cm3, and 6.89 g/cm3, respectively. The density decreased 2.6% for Sn-40Pb eutectic alloy during melting, and 2.7% for Sn-9Zn eutectic alloy, but increased 0.5% for Sn-57Bi eutectic alloy. The excess molar volume for these alloys after mixing at their melting point is 0.03 cm3/mol for Sn-40Pb, 0.09 cm3/mol for Sn-57Bi, and 0.21 cm3/mol for Sn-9Zn.
- J. Glazer, Int. Mater. Rev. 40, 65 (1995).
- K. Zeng and K.N. Tu, Mater. Sci. Eng. R 38, 55 (2002). CrossRef
- K. Suganuma, M. Ueshima, I. Ohnaka, H. Yasuda, J. Zhu, and T. Matsuda, Acta Mater. 48, 4475 (2000). CrossRef
- K. Suganuma, Curr. Opin. Solid State Mater. Sci. 5, 55 (2001). CrossRef
- M. Abtew and G. Selvaduray, Mater. Sci. Eng. R27, 95 (2000).
- Z. Moser, W. Gasior, J. Pstrus, and S. Ksiezarek, J. Elect. Mater. 31, 1225 (2002).
- Z. Moser, W. Gasior, and J. Pstrus, J. Elect. Mater. 30, 1104 (2001).
- T. Iida and R.I.L. Guthrie, The Physical Properties of Liquid Metals, 2nd ed. (Oxford, United Kingdom: Clarendon, 1993), pp. 47–58.
- R.C. Weast, D.R. Lide, and M.I. Astle, CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, 79th ed., ed. W.H. Beyer (Boca Raton, FL: Chemical Rubber Company Press, 1999), pp. 12–192.
- L.W. Wang, Q. Wang, A.P. Xian, and K.Q. Lu, J. Phys.: Cond. Matter 15, 777 (2003). CrossRef
- H.R. Thresh, A.F. Crawley, and D.W.G. White, Trans. Am. Soc. AIME 242, 819 (1968).
- E. Gebhardt and K. Kostlin, Z. Metallkd. 48, 636 (1957).
- Density measurement of Sn-40Pb, Sn-57Bi, and Sn-9Zn by indirect Archimedean method
Journal of Electronic Materials
Volume 34, Issue 11 , pp 1414-1419
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Lead (Pb)-free solders density
- indirect Archimedean method
- tin (Sn) alloys
- Industry Sectors