Spectral crosstalk by radiative recombination in sequential-mode, dual mid-wavelength infrared band HgCdTe detectors
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
For small pixel, infrared (IR) focal plane arrays (FPAs), Raytheon Vision Systems’ architecture for integrated, dual-band detectors uses the sequential mode of the n-p+-n configuration. There is a single indium bump per pixel, leaving the p+ layer floating, and the operating polarity of the bias selects the spectral sensitivity by reverse-biasing the active p-n junction. Photogenerated minority carriers in the absorber layer of the forward-biased inactive photodiode are lost through recombination. This paper is the first report of a new optical crosstalk mechanism that occurs in sequential-mode, dual-band detectors. In the long-wavelength mode under out-of-band, short-wavelength illumination, radiative recombination yields emission near the bandgap energy of the short-wavelength absorber layer, resulting in a spurious short-wavelength response that appears as spectral crosstalk. We present experimental and device modeling results on the spectral crosstalk in molecular-beam-epitaxy-grown HgCdTe arrays with the cutoff wavelength of both bands in the 4–5-µm range.
- J.C. Campbell, T.P. Lee, A.G. Dentai, and C.A. Burrus, Appl. Phys. Lett. 34, 401 (1979). CrossRef
- A. Rogalski, Infrared Phys. Tech. 41, 213 (2000). CrossRef
- E.F. Schulte, U.S. patent 5,113,076 (12 May 1992).
- E.R. Blazejewski, J.M. Arias, G.M. Williams, W. McLevige, M. Zandian, and J. Pasko, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B 10, 1626 (1992). CrossRef
- T.J. de Lyon, J.A. Vigil, O.K. Wu, J.L. Johnson, E.A. Patten, K. Kosai, G. Venzor, V. Lee, and S.M. Johnson, J. Vac. Sci Technol. B 16, 1321 (1998). CrossRef
- R.D. Rajavel et al., J. Electron. Mater. 26, 476 (1997).
- R.D. Rajavel et al., J. Electron. Mater. 27, 747 (1998). CrossRef
- ISE Integrated Systems Engineering AG, Zurich.
- K. Kosai, J. Electron. Mater. 24, 635 (1995).
- J. Sheng, L. Wang, G.E. Lux, and Y. Gao, J. Electron. Mater. 26, 588 (1997).
- M.B. Reine, A.K. Sood, and T.J. Tredwell, Semiconductors and Semimetals, Vol. 18, eds. R.K. Willardson and A.C. Beer (New York: Academic, 1981), pp. 201–311.
- C.A. Hougen, J. Appl. Phys. 66, 3763 (1989). CrossRef
- W.P. Dumke, Phys. Rev. 105, 139 (1957). CrossRef
- J.I. Pankove, Optical Processes in Semiconductors (Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall, 1971), pp. 107–159.
- Spectral crosstalk by radiative recombination in sequential-mode, dual mid-wavelength infrared band HgCdTe detectors
Journal of Electronic Materials
Volume 33, Issue 6 , pp 517-525
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- infrared detector
- two-color detector
- radiative recombination
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Raytheon Vision Systems, 93117, Goleta, CA
- 2. HRL Laboratories LLC, 90265, Malibu, CA
- 3. Naval Research Laboratory, 20375, Washington, DC