Decomposition of Niobium Ore by Sodium Hydroxide Fusion Method
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The decomposition kinetics of niobium ore in the NaOH system was studied experimentally. The results show that the reaction products are sodium metaniobate and sodium niobate formed by the reaction of pyrochlore with sodium hydroxide under roasting. The effects of temperature, particle size, and mass ratio of alkali-to-ore were studied. The conversion rate of niobium exceeded 99 pct after 20 minutes at 923 K (650 °C) with a mass ratio of alkali-to-ore 1.2:1 and with initial particle size 75 to 106 μm. The kinetic study indicates that the shrinking core model is applicable and the process is controlled by a chemical reaction. The activation energy was calculated to be 78.82 kJ mol–1.
- J.S. Zhang: Nonferr. Met. Eng. Res., 2008, vol. 29, pp. 1–3. CrossRef
- F.C. Meng and Y.N. Ou: Jiangxi Metall., 2003, vol. 23, pp. 29–32.
- K. Yi: Power Electron. Technol., 2003, vol. 11, pp. 1–3.
- C.E. Mosheim: TIC Bull., 2001, vol. 108, pp. 4–5.
- G.L. Miller: Tantalum and Niobium, Butterworths Scientific Publications, London, U.K., 1959, pp. 9–12.
- O.M. El-Hussaini: Min. Process. Extract. Metall. Rev., 2001, vol. 22, pp. 633–50. CrossRef
- C.K. Gupta and A.K. Suri: Extractive Metallurgy of Niobium, CRC Press, London, U.K., 1994, pp. 31–36.
- C.Y He, Z.M. Liu, and H.J. Zhang: Tantalum-Niobium Int. Study Centre Bull., 1998, vol. 4, pp. 141–42.
- J.L He, Z.G. Zhang, and Z.T. Xu: Tantalum-Niobium Int. Study Centre Bull., 1998, vol. 93, pp. 1–6.
- Z.L. Xing: Tantalum and Niobium Metallurgy, Metallurgical Industry Press, Beijing, 1980, pp. 87–90.
- F.K. Ma: Tantalum and Niobium, Metallurgical Industry Press, Beijing, 2009, pp. 47–49.
- T.Y. Xue, L. Wang, T. Qi, J.L. Chu, J.K. Qu, and C.H. Liu: Hydrometallurgy, 2009, vol. 95, pp. 22–27. CrossRef
- S.A. Awe, C. Samuelsson, and Å. Sandström: Hydrometallurgy, 2010, vol. 103, pp. 167–72. CrossRef
- A.A. Baba and F.A. Adekola: Hydrometallurgy, 2010, vol. 101, pp. 69–75. CrossRef
- Y.X. Hua: The Metallurgical Process Kinetics Introduction, Metallurgical Industry Press, KunMing, 2004, pp. 188–96.
- Decomposition of Niobium Ore by Sodium Hydroxide Fusion Method
Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B
Volume 44, Issue 1 , pp 45-52
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Faculty of Metallurgical and Energy Engineering, Kunming University of Science and Technology, Yunnan, 650093, P.R. China
- 2. National Engineering Laboratory for Hydrometallurgical Cleaner Production Technology, Key Laboratory of Green Process and Engineering, Institute of Process Engineering, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, 100190, P.R. China
- 3. School of Chemical & Environmental Engineering, China University of Mining & Technology, Beijing, Beijing, 100083, P.R. China