Ladle Shroud as a Flow Control Device for Tundish Operations
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The performance characteristics of a tundish, such as the flotation of inclusions and slag entrainment, are largely influenced by the fluid-flow phenomena. Physical modeling in water is widely used to understand the fluid flows in a tundish and as a tool to improve, control, and design procedures for high-quality steel processing operations. These approaches were used to study the performance of fluid flow for a new design of ladle shroud. The new design for a dissipative ladle shroud (DLS) was studied, using a one-third scale, delta shaped, four-strand tundish. The results were compared with those achieved with the conventional ladle shroud. Different cases have been analyzed, including a conventional ladle shroud (LS) with a bare tundish and a tundish furnished with an impact pad. Similarly, the new design of the shroud (DLS) was studied under equivalent conditions. The physical experiments included the use of particle image velocimetry (PIV) and conductivity tracer techniques. The PIV measured the instantaneous velocities at the outlet of the DLS and the LS at different flow rates, showing the detailed jetting characteristics of water leaving the two types of ladle shroud. Residence time distribution (RTD) curves were also obtained for the different flow arrangements previously mentioned, and the dispersion of a colored dye tracer was observed at different intervals of time during tundish operation and analyzed using the video visualization technique.
- A.V. Kuklev, V.V. Tinyakov, Y.M. Aizin, V.N. Gushchin, and V.A. Ulíyanov: Metallurgist, 2004, vol. 207, pp. 5–48.
- R.I.L. Guthrie: Metall. Mater. Trans. B, 2004, vol. 35B, pp. 417–37. CrossRef
- A. Kumar, D. Mazumdar, and S.C. Koria: ISIJ Int., 2008, vol. 48, pp. 38–47. CrossRef
- A. Aguilar-Corona, R.D. Morales, M. Díaz-Cruz, J. Palafox-Ramos, and L. García Demedices: Can. Metall. Q., 2003, vol. 42, pp. 455–64.
- L. Zhong, B. Li, Y. Zhu, R. Wang, W. Wang, and X. Zhang: ISIJ Int., 2007, vol. 47, pp. 88–94. CrossRef
- K.J. Craig, D.J. de Kock, K.W. Makgata, and G.J. de Wet: ISIJ Int., 2001, vol. 4, pp. 1194–1200. CrossRef
- C.M. Fan, R.J. Shie, and W.S. Hwang: Ironmaking Steelmaking, 2003, vol. 30, pp. 341–47. CrossRef
- D. Bolger and K. Saylor: Steelmaking Proc., 1994, vol. 77, Iron and Steel Soc., Warrendale, PA, pp. 225–34.
- R.D. Morales, J. de Barreto, S. Lopez-Ramirez, J. Palafox-Ramos, and M. Diaz-Cruz: Mater. Sci. Eng., 2000, vol. 8, pp. 781–801.
- S. Lopez-Ramirez, R.D. Morales, and J.A. Romero Serrano: Numer. Heat Trans., Part A, 2000, vol. 37, pp. 69–86.
- A. Ramos-Banderas, R.D. Morales, L. García-Demedices, and M. Díaz-Cruz: ISIJ Int., 2003, vol. 43, pp. 653–62. CrossRef
- A. Vargas-Zamora, R.D. Morales, M. Diaz-Cruz, J. Palafox-Ramos, and J. de Barreto-Sandoval: Metall. Mater. Trans. B, 2004, vol. 35B, pp. 247–57. CrossRef
- W. Jun, Z.M. Yong, Z. Hai-bing, and W. Ying: J. Iron Steel Res. Int., 2008, vol. 15, pp. 26–31. CrossRef
- K. Chattopadhyay, M. Hasan, M. Isac, and R.I.L. Guthrie: Metall. Mater. Trans. B, 2010, vol. 41B, pp. 225–33. CrossRef
- A. Tripathi and S.K. Ajmani: ISIJ Int., 2005, vol. 45, pp. 1616–25. CrossRef
- Q. Hou, Q. Yue, H, Wang, Z. Zou, and A. Yu: ISIJ Int., 2008, vol. 48, pp. 787–92. CrossRef
- Q.F. Hou, H.Y. Wang, Q. Yue, Z.S. Zou, and A.B. Yu: Proc. Fifth Int. Conf. on CFD in the Process Industries, CSIRO, Melbourne, Australia, 2006, pp. 13–15.
- Q.F. Hou and Z. Zou: ISIJ Int., 2005, vol. 45, pp. 325–30. CrossRef
- Y. Wang, Y. Zhong, B. Wang, Z.L.W. Ren, and Z. Ren: ISIJ Int., 2009, vol. 49, pp. 1542–50. CrossRef
- G. Solorio-Diaz, R.D. Morales, J. Palafax-Ramos, L. Garcia-Demedices, and A. Ramos-Banderas: ISIJ Int., 2004, vol. 44, pp. 1024–32. CrossRef
- K. Chattopadhyay, M. Isac, and R.I.L. Guthrie: ISIJ Int., 2010, vol. 50, pp. 331–48. CrossRef
- K. Chattopadhyay, M. Isac, and R.I.L. Guthrie: ISIJ Int., 2011, vol. 51, pp. 759–68. CrossRef
- P. Ramirez-Lopez and R.D. Morales: Ironmaking Steelmaking, 2006, vol. 33, pp. 157–68. CrossRef
- S.B. Pope: Turbulent Flows, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, U.K., 2000, pp. 123–26. CrossRef
- D. Mazumdar and R.I.L. Guthrie: ISIJ Int., 1999, vol. 39, pp. 524–47. CrossRef
- Y. Sahai and T. Emi: Tundish Technology for Clean Steel Production, World Scientific Publication Co. Pte. Ltd., Hackensack, NJ, 2008.
- T.H. Shih, W.W. Liou, A. Shabbir, Z. Yang, and J. Zhu: Comput. Fluid, 1995, vol. 24, pp. 227–38. CrossRef
- T.J. Chung: Computational Fluid Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, New York, NY, 2002, pp. 108–19. CrossRef
- Ladle Shroud as a Flow Control Device for Tundish Operations
Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B
Volume 44, Issue 1 , pp 63-79
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. McGill Metals Processing Center (MMPC), McGill University, Montreal, QC, H3A 2B2, Canada
- 2. Department of Metallurgy, Instituto Politecnico Nacional-ESIQIE, Col. Lindavista-Zacatenco, 07338, Mexico, D.F., Mexico