Model Investigations on the Stability of the Steel-Slag Interface in Continuous-Casting Process
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In the continuous-casting mold, the mold powder in contact with the liquid steel surface forms a liquid slag layer. The flow along the steel-slag interface generates shear stress at the interface, waves, and leads to fingerlike protrusions of liquid slag into steel. Reaching a critical flow velocity and thereby shear stress, the protrusions can disintegrate into slag droplets following the flow in the liquid steel pool. These entrained droplets can form finally nonmetallic inclusions in steel material, cause defects in the final product, and therefore, should be avoided. In the current work, the stability of a liquid-liquid interface without mass transfer between phases was investigated in cold model study using a single-roller driven flow in oil-water systems with various oil properties. Applying the similarity theory, two dimensionless numbers were identified, viz. capillary number Ca and the ratio of kinematic viscosities ν 1/ν 2, which are suitable to describe the force balance for the problem treated. The critical values of the dimensionless capillary number Ca* marking the start of lighter phase entrainment into the heavier fluid, are determined over a wide range of fluid properties. The dimensionless number ν 1/ν 2 was defined as the ratio of kinematic viscosities of the lighter phase ν 1 and heavier phase ν 2. The ratios of kinematic viscosities of different steel-slag systems were calculated using measured thermophysical properties. With the knowledge of thermophysical properties of steel-slag systems, Ca* for slag entrainment as a function of v 1/v 2 is derived. Assuming no reaction between the phases and no interfacial flow, slag entrainment should not occur under the usual casting conditions.
- R.P. Singh and D.N. Gosh: Ironmaking Steelmaking, 1990, vol.17, pp. 333–42.
- Q.L. He and N. Standish: ISIJ Int., 1990, vol. 30, pp. 356–61. CrossRef
- T. El Gammal, G. Hinds, and U. Schöneberger: Steel Res., 1991, vol. 62, pp. 152–56.
- T. Wei and F. Oeters: Steel Res., 1992, vol. 62, pp. 60–68.
- J. Mietz, S. Schneider, and F. Oeters: Steel Res., 1991, vol. 62, pp. 10–15.
- A.W. Cramb: Proceedings of the Roderick Guthrie Honorary Symposium on Process Metallurgy, 2011, Montreal, Canada, pp. 151–59.
- J. Park: Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 2008, vol. 472A, pp. 43–51.
- B.G. Thomas: Proceedings of the Proceedings of the 3rd International Congress on the Science and Technology of Steelmaking, 2005, Charlotte, NC, pp. 847–61.
- J. Savolainen, T. Fabritius, and O. Mattila: ISIJ Int., 2009, vol. 49, pp. 26–36. CrossRef
- J. Harman and A.W. Cramb: Steelmaking Conference Proceedings, 1996, pp. 773–83.
- M. Iguchi, J. Yoshida, T. Shimizu, and Y. Mizuno: ISIJ Int., 2000, vol. 40, pp. 685–91. CrossRef
- J. Yoshida, T. Ohmi, and M. Iguchi: ISIJ Int., 2005, vol. 45, pp. 1160–64. CrossRef
- K. Watanabe, K. Tsutsumi, M. Suzuki, M. Nakada, and T. Shiomi: ISIJ Int., 2009, vol. 49, pp. 1161–66. CrossRef
- S. Feldbauer and A.W. Cramb: Proceedings of the 13th Process Technology Conference Iron and Steel Society (ISS), Warrendale, PA, 1995, pp. 327–40.
- D. Barthes-Biesel and A. Acrivos: J. Fluid Mech., 1973, vol. 61, pp. 1–21. CrossRef
- B.J. Bentley and L.G. Leal: J. Fluid Mech., 1986, vol. 167, pp. 241–83. CrossRef
- R.A De Bruijn: Chem. Eng. Sci., 1993, vol. 48, pp. 277–84. CrossRef
- H.A. Stone: Ann. Rev. Fluid Mech., 1994, vol. 26, pp. 65–102. CrossRef
- Avidemux 2.5.2 documentation http://www.avidemux.org.
- L. Zhang, S. Yang, K. Cai, J. Li, X. Wan, and B.G. Thomas: Metall. Mater. Trans. B, 2007, vol. 38B, pp. 63–83. CrossRef
- B. Sahebkar: Ph.D. Dissertation, Technical University Freiberg, Germany, 2004.
- R.R. Lagnado and L.G. Leal: Exp. Fluids, 1990, vol. 9, pp. 25–32. CrossRef
- E. Buckingham: Phys. Rev. Lett., Am. Phys. Soc., 1914, vol. 4, pp. 345–76.
- P. Strove and P. Varanasi: J. Colloid Interface Sci., 1984, vol. 99, pp. 360–73. CrossRef
- Wacker Silicones, data specification, http://www.wacker.com/.
- ImageJ doc.1.4.3I http://www.rsbweb.nih.gov/ij/.
- A.W. Cramb, Y. Chung, J. Harman, A. Sharan, and I. Jimbo: Proceedings of the 5th Conference on Molten Slags, Fluxes and Salts, 1996, pp. 35–50.
- H.P. Heller, M. Hötzel, B. Lychatz, and P.R. Scheller: Institute of Iron and Steel Technology, Freiberg, Germany, unpublished research, 2010.
- Slag Atlas, 2nd ed., Verlag Stahleisen GmbH, Düsseldorf, Germany, 1995, p. 345.
- J. Miettinen: Metall. Mater. Trans. B, 1997, vol. 28B, pp. 281–97. CrossRef
- T. Iida and R.I.L. Guthrie: The Physical Properties of Liquid Metals, Clarendon Press, Oxford, U.K., 1993, pp. 147–98.
- R. McDavid and B.G. Thomas: Metall. Mater. Trans B, 1996, vol. 27B, pp. 672–84. CrossRef
- D. Gupta and A.K. Lahiri: Metall. Mater. Trans. B, 1996, vol. 27B, pp. 695–97. CrossRef
- M.B. Assar, P.H. Dauby, and G.D. Lawson: Proceedings of the 83th Steelmaking Conference, 2000, Pittsburgh, PA, pp. 397–411.
- P.H. Dauby: Proceedings of the Roderick Guthrie Honorary Symposium on Process Metallurgy, 2011, Montreal, Canada, pp. 387–96.
- M.A. Rhamdhani, G.A. Brooks, and K.S. Coley: Metall. Mater. Trans. B, 2005, vol. 36B, pp. 219–27. CrossRef
- P.V. Riboud and L.D. Lucas: Can. Metall. Q., 1981, vol. 20, pp. 199–208. CrossRef
- Y. Chung and A.W Cramb: Metall. Mater. Trans. B, 2000, vol. 31B, pp. 957–71. CrossRef
- A. Jakobsson, N.N. Viswanathan, D. Sichen, and S. Seetharaman: Metall. Mater. Trans. B, 2000, vol. 31B, pp. 973–80. CrossRef
- P.R. Scheller: Steel Res. Int., 2005, vol. 76, pp. 581–87.
- P.R. Scheller: Ironmaking Steelmaking, 2002, vol. 29, pp. 154–60. CrossRef
- H. Gaye, L.D. Lucas, M. Olette, and P.V. Riboud: Can. Metall. Q., 1984, vol. 23, pp. 179–91. CrossRef
- A. Sharan and A.W. Cramb: Metall. Mater. Trans. B, 1995, vol. 26B, pp. 87–94. CrossRef
- Model Investigations on the Stability of the Steel-Slag Interface in Continuous-Casting Process
Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B
Volume 44, Issue 1 , pp 80-90
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Iron and Steel Technology, Freiberg University of Mining and Technology, 09599, Freiberg, Germany
- 2. Institute of Mechanics and Fluid Dynamics, Freiberg University of Mining and Technology, 09599, Freiberg, Germany
- 3. Freiberg University of Mining and Technology, 09599, Freiberg, Germany