A Novel Method for Investigating Solutions of Aluminum in Molten Cryolite
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In chronopotentiometric work on Fe2+ in a cryolite melt (Jentoftsen et al. in Metall. Mater. Trans. B, 2012, vol. 43B, pp. 869–74), after depletion of Fe2+ at the surface of the iron cathode was complete, continuing electrolysis produced a solution of Al in cryolite, provided that the time was less than a few hundred milliseconds. Potential–time curves indicate a diffusion-controlled, 2-electron reduction to form monovalent aluminum.
- V. Danielik, P. Fellner, A. Sýkorová, and J. Thonstad: Metall. Mater. Trans. B, 2010, vol. 41B, pp. 430–6. CrossRef
- T.E. Jentoftsen, E.W. Dewing, O.-A. Lorentsen, G.M. Haarberg, and J. Thonstad: Metall. Mater. Trans. B, 2012, vol. 43B, pp. 869–74. doi:10.1007/s11663-012-9645-3. CrossRef
- M.W. Chase, Jr.: NIST-JANAF Thermochemical Tables, 4th edn., J. Phys. Chem. Reference Data, Monograph No. 9, 1998.
- E.W. Dewing and J. Thonstad: Metall. Mater. Trans. B, 1997, vol. 28B, pp. 1089–93. CrossRef
- T.E. Jentoftsen, O-A. Lorentsen, E.W. Dewing, G.M. Haarberg, and J. Thonstad: Metall. Mater. Trans. B, 2002, vol. 33B, pp. 901–7. CrossRef
- T.B. Massalski, ed.: Binary Alloy Phase Diagrams, 2nd ed. ASM International, Materials Park, OH, 1990, p. 148.
- R. Ødegård: Doctoral Dissertation, Norwegian Technical University, Trondheim, Norway, 1986, pp. 138–44.
- R.S. Stojanovic, R. Dorin, and E. Frazer: J. Appl. Electrochem., 1996, vol. 26, pp. 249–54. CrossRef
- A Novel Method for Investigating Solutions of Aluminum in Molten Cryolite
Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B
Volume 43, Issue 6 , pp 1241-1242
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. 648, Pimlico Pl, Kingston, ON, K7M 5T8, Canada
- 2. Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), 7491, Trondheim, Norway
- 3. Hydro Primary Metal Technology, P.O. Box 303, 6882, Øvre Årdal, Norway
- 4. Yara Technology Centre, Yara International ASA, P.O. Box 1130, 3905, Porsgrunn, Norway