Mass Transfer of Phosphorus in Silicon Melts Under Vacuum Induction Refining
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
An experimental investigation into the mass transfer of phosphorus in molten silicon under vacuum induction refining has been carried out. In a pilot-scale experiment, in the temperature range 1773 K (1500 °C) to 1873 K (1600 °C) and a vacuum of 0.1 to 0.035 Pa smelting for 7200 seconds (2 hours), phosphorus is decreased from 15 ppmw to 0.08 ppmw, which achieved the target for solar-grade silicon of less than 0.1 ppmw. Lab-scale experiments are used to determine the effects of vacuum, refining time, and temperature on the rate of mass transfer of phosphorus during vacuum refining. Hardly any phosphorus was removed when the vacuum pressure is greater than 100 Pa. Mass-transfer coefficients are nearly independent of pressure at 1783 K (1510 °C) when pressures are below 0.1 Pa and are highly correlated with vacuum pressures above 0.1 Pa. A model of vacuum refining of inductively stirred silicon melts is discussed to explain the transfer path of phosphorus out of the melt.
- M.G. Mauk: JOM, 2003, vol. 5, pp. 38–42. CrossRef
- B.R. Bathey and M.C. Cretella: J. Mater. Sci., 1982, vol. 17, pp. 3077–96. CrossRef
- B.G. Gribov and K.V. Zinov’ev: Inorg. Mater., 2003, vol. 39, pp. 653–62. CrossRef
- J. Dietl: Sol. Cell., 1983, vol. 10, pp. 145–54. CrossRef
- S. Zheng, J. Cai, C. Chen, and X. Luo: 3rd Int. Workshop on Science and Technology of Crystalline Si Solar Cells (CSSC-3), 2009.
- M. Miyake, T. Hiramatsu, and M. Maeda: J. Japan Inst. Metals, 2006, vol. 70, pp. 43–46. CrossRef
- N. Yuge, K. Hanazawa, K. Nishikawa, and H. Terashima: J. Japan Inst. Metals, 1997, vol. 61, pp. 1086–93.
- K. Suzuki, K. Sakaguchi, T. Nakagiri, and N. Sano, J. Japan Inst. Metals, 1990, vol. 54, pp. 161–67.
- J.C.S. Pires, J. Otubo, A.F.B. Braga, and P.R. Mei: J. Mater. Process. Technol., 2005, vol. 169, pp. 16–20. CrossRef
- T. Ikeda and M. Maeda: ISIJ Int., 1992, vol. 32, pp. 635–42. CrossRef
- T. Miki, K. Morita, and N. Sano, Metall. Mater. Trans. B, 1996, vol. 27B, pp. 937–41. CrossRef
- A.I. Zaitsev, N.E. Shelkova, and A.A. Kodentsov: J. Phase Equil., 2000, vol. 21, pp. 528–33.
- C. Mosselman, W.H.V. Vugt, and H. Vos: J. Chem. Eng. Data, 1982, vol. 27, pp. 246–51. CrossRef
- O. Kubaschewski, E.LL. Evans, and C.B. Alcock: Metallurgical Thermo-Chemistry, 4th ed., Pergamon Press, Oxford, UK, 1979, pp. 408–20.
- R.G. Ward and T.D. Aurini: J. Iron Steel Inst., 1966, vol. 208, pp. 920–23.
- R.G. Ward and T.D. Aurini: J. Iron Steel Inst., 1963, vol. 201, pp. 11–15.
- Mass Transfer of Phosphorus in Silicon Melts Under Vacuum Induction Refining
Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B
Volume 41, Issue 6 , pp 1268-1273
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors