Cathodic deoxygenation of the alpha case on titanium and alloys in molten calcium chloride
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The oxygen-enriched alpha case on titanium and alloys was successfully deoxygenated to satisfactory levels by electrolysis in molten CaCl2, in which the cathode was made from the metal to be refined. The oxygen distribution in the metal before and after electrolysis was characterized by microhardness tests, scanning electron microscopy (SEM), and energy-dispersive X-ray (EDX). The electrolysis has been carried out at voltages sufficiently below that for the decomposition of CaCl2, and the results obtained suggest that the alpha case deoxygenation follows a simple oxygen ionization mechanism in which the oxygen in the metal is simply ionized at the cathode/electrolyte interface, dissolves in the molten salt, and then discharges at the anode. It is shown that by applying the electrochemical method, the alpha cases on both commercially pure titanium (CP Ti) and the Ti-6Al-4V alloy can be effectively deoxygenated. In particular, due to the removal of oxygen, the original alpha case (single phase) on the Ti-6Al-4V alloy has been converted back to the two-phase microstructure.
- Titanium Science and Technology, R.I. Jaffee and H.M. Burte, eds., Plenum Press, New York, NY, 1973.
- A.D. McQuillan and M.K. McQuillan: Titanium, Butterworths Scientific Publications, London, 1956.
- CRC Hand Book of Chemistry and Physics, 77th ed., D.R. Lide, ed., CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 1996.
- Handbook of Extractive Metallurgy, F. Habashi, ed., Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, 1997, vol. II, pp. 1129–80.
- G.Z. Chen, D.J. Fray, and T.W. Farthing: Nature, 2000, vol. 407, pp. 361–64. CrossRef
- HSC Chemistry for Windows, Outokumpu Research, Pori, Finland, 1994.
- Binary Alloy Phase Diagrams, T.B. Massalski, H. Okamoto, P.R. Subramanian, and L. Kacprzak, eds., 2nd ed., ASM INTERNATIONAL, Materials Park, OH, 1990, vol. 3, pp. 2924–27.
- R.W. Evans, R.J. Hull, and B. Wilshire: J. Mater. Proc. Technol., 1996, vol. 56, pp. 492–501. CrossRef
- U.S. Patent 5,022,935, RMI Titanium, Niles, OH, 1991.
- T.H. Okabe, T. Oishi, and K. Ono: J. Alloys Compounds, 1992, vol. 184, pp. 43–56. CrossRef
- T.H. Okabe, M. Nakamura, T. Oishi, and K. Ono: Metall. Trans. B, 1993, vol. 24, pp. 449–55.
- T.H. Okabe, T.N. Deura, T. Oishi, K. Ono, and D.R. Sadoway: J. Alloys Compounds, 1996, vol. 237, pp. 150–54. CrossRef
- K. Hirota, T.H. Okabe, F. Saito, Y. Waseda, and K.T. Jacob: J. Alloys Compounds, 1999, vol. 282, pp. 101–08. CrossRef
- R.G. Ward and T.P. Hoar: J. Inst. Met., 1961–62, vol. 90, pp. 6–12.
- S. Boghosian, A. Godo, H. Mediaas, W. Ravlo, and T. Ostvold: Acta Chem. Scand. 1991, vol. 45, pp. 145–57. CrossRef
- E.M. Levin and H.F. McMurdie: Phase Diagrams for Ceramists, 1975 Suppl., American Ceramic Society, Columbus, OH, 1975, pp. 394.
- G.Z. Chen and D.J. Fray: J. Appl. Electrochem., 2001, vol. 31, pp. 155–64. CrossRef
- Binary Alloy Phase Diagrams, T.B. Massalski, ed., ASM INTERNATIONAL, The Materials Information Society, Materials Park, OH, 1990 Ca-Cu, vol. 1, p. 907; Cu-Ba, vol. 1, p. 573; and O-Cu, vol. 2, p. 1447.
- A.E. Jenkins: J. Inst. Met., 1953–54, vol. 82, p. 213.
- Z.M. Turovtseva and L.L. Kunin: Analysis of Gases in Metals, Consultants Bureau, New York, NY, 1961, (translation by J. Thompson).
- Wilson and Wilson’s Comprehensive Analytical Chemistry, G. Svehla, ed., Elsevier, Oxford, United Kingdom, 1975, vol. 3.
- P. Lacombe: in Titanium and Titanium Alloys—Scientific and Technological Aspects, J.C. Williams and A.F. Belov, eds., Plenum Press, New York, NY, 1982, vol. 2, p. 1045.
- Materials Properties Handbook: Titanium Alloys, R. Boyer, G. Welsch, and E.W. Collings, eds., ASM INTERNATIONAL, Materials Park, OH, 1994, p. 149.
- H. O’Neill: Hardness Measurement of Metals and Alloys, Chapman and Hall Ltd, London, 1967, p. 124.
- S. Abkowitz, J.J. Burke, and R.H. Hiltz, Jr.: Titanium in Industry—Technology of Structural Titanium, D. Van Nostrand Company, Inc., London, 1995, pp. 40–42.
- M.E. Sibert, Q.H. McKenna, M.A. Steinberg, and E. Wainer: J. Electrochem. Soc., 1955, vol. 102, p. 252. CrossRef
- Cathodic deoxygenation of the alpha case on titanium and alloys in molten calcium chloride
Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B
Volume 32, Issue 6 , pp 1041-1052
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors