Cyclic deformation behavior of high-purity titanium single crystals: Part II. Microstructure and mechanism
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Strain-controlled cyclic tests have been conducted on high-purity titanium single crystals with different orientations. The fatigue mechanisms of the titanium crystals were studied by means of a scanning electron microscope (SEM) and a transmission electron microscope (TEM). It was found that single slip lines, wavy slip lines, double slip lines, twins, and associated slip lines occurred in differently oriented single crystals. A new type of fractographic morphology, parallel traces, was observed. Dislocation patterns and cyclic twins, as well as the mechanical response, were analyzed. The dependence of the deformation mechanisms on the orientations of the single crystals is discussed.
- M.H. Yoo and J.K. Lee: Phil. Mag. A, 1991, vol. 63, p. 987.
- M.H. Yoo: Metall. Trans. A, 1981, vol. 12A, pp. 409–18.
- A. Akhtar and E. Teghtsoonian: Metall. Trans. A, 1975, vol. 6A, pp. 2201–8.
- A. De Crecy, A. Bourret, S. Naka, and A. Lasalmonie: Phil. Mag. A, 1983, vol. 47, p. 245.
- J.I. Dickson, J. Ducher, and A. Plumtree: Metall. Trans. A, 1976, vol. 7A, pp. 1559–65.
- M. Sugano and C.M. Gilmore: Metall. Trans. A, 1980, vol. 11A, pp. 559–63.
- D.I. Golland and C.J. Beevers: Met. Sci. J., 1971, vol. 5, p. 174. CrossRef
- C.M. Ward-Close and C.J. Beeverse: Metall. Trans. A, 1980, vol. 11A, pp. 1007–17.
- L. Handfield and J.I. Dickson: in Defects, Fracture and Fatigue, G.C. Sih and J.W. Provan, eds., Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, Hingham, MA, 1983, p. 37.
- X. Tan, H. Gu, C. Laird, and N.D.H. Munroe: Metall. Mater. Trans. A, 1998, vol. 29A, pp. 507–12.
- S.E. Harvey, P.G. Marsh, and W.W. Gerberich: Acta Metall. Mater., 1994, vol. 42, p. 3493. CrossRef
- T. Kehagias et al.: Scripta Metall. Mater., 1994, vol. 30, p. 1311. CrossRef
- N.Y. Jin and A.T. Winter: Acta Metall., 1984, vol. 32, p. 989. CrossRef
- H. Numakura, Y. Minonishi, and M. Koiwa: Scripta Metall., 1986, vol. 20, p. 1581. CrossRef
- X. Tan and H. Gu: Scripta Metall. Mater., 1995, vol. 33, p. 1977. CrossRef
- X. Tan and H. Gu: Int. J. Fatigue, 1996, vol. 18, p. 329. CrossRef
- Cyclic deformation behavior of high-purity titanium single crystals: Part II. Microstructure and mechanism
Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A
Volume 29, Issue 2 , pp 513-518
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. the Hemispheric Center for Environmental Technology, Florida International University, 33199, Miami, FL
- 3. the Department of Metallurgy and Materials Engineering, Ecole Polytechnique, Montreal, PQ, Canada
- 2. the Research Institute for Strength of Metals, Xi’an Jiaotong University, 710049, Xi’an, People’s Republic of China
- 4. the Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Pennsylvania, 19104, Philadelphia, PA
- 5. the Hemispheric Center for Environmental Technology, Florida International University, USA