Dynamics of solid/liquid interface shape evolution near an insoluble particle—An X-ray transmission microscopy investigation
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this article, for the first time, in situ and real-time experimental observations of changes in solid/liquid (s/l) interface shape during interactions with a particle or void are reported for metallic systems. Real-time interface shape evolution for both stationary and growing interfaces was observed by use of a state-of-the-art X-ray transmission microscope. Localized interfacial perturbations were studied as a function of the particle or void diameter, the distance between the s/l interface and the particle or void, and the thermal conductivity ratio between the matrix and the particle or void. In particular, the sensitivity of interfacial perturbation to the thermal conductivity ratio is critically analyzed. Analytical predictions of interface shape are compared to the real-time, in situ experimental data. A good agreement between the experimentally observed and predicted interface shapes was found for stationary interfaces. Based on the differences in experimental observations, between a moving and a stationary interface, an alternate hypothesis is suggested to explain the observed kinetics of particle engulfment by a growing interface.
- S.N. Omenyi and A.W. Neumann: J. Appl. Phys., 1976, vol. 47 (9), pp. 3956–62. CrossRef
- D.K. Shangguan, S. Ahuja, and D.M. Stefanescu: Metall. Trans. A, 1992, vol. 23A, pp. 669–80.
- G.F. Bolling and J.A. Cisse: J. Cryst. Growth, 1971, No. 10, pp. 56–66.
- A.M. Zubko, V.G. Lobanov, and V.V. Nikonova: Sov. Phys. Crystallogr., 1973, vol. 18 (2), pp. 239–41.
- J. Potschke and V. Rogge: J. Cryst. Growth, 1989, vol. 94, pp. 726–38. CrossRef
- A.A. Chernov, D.E. Temkin, and A.M. Mel’nikova: Sov. Phys. Crystallogr., 1977, vol. 22 (6), pp. 656–58.
- M. Yemmou, M.A. Azouni, P. Casses, and G. Petre: J. Cryst. Growth, 1993, vol. 128, pp. 1130–36.
- M.K. Suruppa and P.K. Rohatgi: J. Mater. Sci. Lett., 1981, No. 16, pp. 562–63.
- C. Korber, G. Rau, M.D. Causman, and E.G. Cravalho: J. Cryst. Growth, 1985, No. 27, pp. 649–62.
- P.A. Curreri and W.F. Kaukler: Metall. Mater. Trans. A, 1996, vol. 27A, pp. 801–08.
- Engineering Properties of Selected Ceramic Materials, J.F. Lynch, C.G. Ruderer, and W.H. Duckworth, eds., American Ceramic Society, Columbus, OH, 1966, pp. 123.
- D.R. Poirier and G.H. Geiger: Transport Phenomena in Materials Processing, TMS, Warrendale, PA, p. 615.
- R. Sasikumar and T.R. Ramamohan: Acta Metall. Mater., 1991, vol. 39 (4), pp. 517–22. CrossRef
- R. Sasikumar, T.R. Ramamohan, and B.C. Pai: Acta Metall., 1989, vol. 37 (7), pp. 2085–91. CrossRef
- D.M. Stefanescu, R.V. Phalnikar, H. Pang, S. Ahuja, and B.K. Dhindaw: Iron Steel Inst. Jpn. Int., 1995, vol. 35 (6), pp. 621–28.
- Dynamics of solid/liquid interface shape evolution near an insoluble particle—An X-ray transmission microscopy investigation
Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A
Volume 28, Issue 10 , pp 2129-2135
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. NASA Marshall Space Flight Center, MSFC, 35812, AL
- 2. Center for Microgravity and Materials Research, USA
- 3. the University of Alabama, 35899, Huntsville, AL
- 4. the University of Alabama, 35487, Tuscaloosa, AL